• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A/C M-Bumper Mount for GoPro!

Started out with a $5-10 piece of scrap aluminum diamond plate that I got from a sheet metal shop. Made a template from card board for the size and then cut it out from the diamond plate. Give yourself enough room to drill a 3/8" hole in the from to mount the s-arm.
Need two-5/16" 2" wide U-Bolts, to fasten the plate to the bumper and four 5/16" stainless chrome caps to finish it off. The length of the U-Bolts were a little long, so I cut them down. The black s-shaped arm is a piece of 3/8" threaded rod with 3/8" I.D. black fuel line slid on to it. A little bigger I.D hose would work a little easier. It was tight but I got it on there.
Find a couple of wide 3/8" washers to support the threaded rod and it will hold it firm onto the plate. Make sure the plate is mounted out on the bumper far enough so you won't hit the U-Bolt nuts when you open up the hood. Make sure you have enought offset on your s-shaped arm so your camera doesn't hit the hood when it's opened. The camera mount was another small piece of diamond plate turned upside down so the GoPro mount will stick to it nice and flat.

Attachments

• P1010682.jpg
    P1010682.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 5,723
  • P1010680.jpg
    P1010680.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 587
  • P1010681.jpg
    P1010681.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 3,706
M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
Nice work Man! Like the custom radius to the mounting plate

Have you ridden and filmed with it yet?

I tried some thin, single-post mounts and found out in testing that they tended to "bounce" and flex. But the all-thread may be stout-er

hcrider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2009
wyoming
curious to see a video. i also tried this but the sled shakes like a paint mixer when not under throttle, i had mine attatched to the hood so this might work better. great job looks awesome

GoPro Vibrations!

The GoPro has an amazing anti-shake feature in it. The first time that I used the suction cup mount on the hood, I noticed the camera was shaking, LOL like a paint mixer. I was thinking... oh crap this is a bad idea! When I looked at the footage later I was amazed. Standing there with the machine idling, the video was a slight blur but as soon as I got moving and started to accelerate, the video smoothed out into a crystal clear video. I will be going out this weekend for a maintenance ride and check out the new POV. If this works out I should bring back some awesome footage of Revy next month. There is a movie of mine that someone posted for me in the Electronic Forum called Slick GoPro Mounting Great POV! Look at the shots that you can barely see my skis. That is the suction cup mount right on the hood. Video is crystal clear. The other POV is from my chin mounting.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Not sure if the gopro has an anti-vibration feature....just saying this cause if you've ever owned a sled with mirrors you'll notice that when idleing or right at take off the mirrors vibrate and blur, but smooth out and become clear at constant movement.....I'm no scientist so I may be wrong...just simply pointing it out BTW same thing happens on my Drift helmet cam. :bolt:

Nov 26, 2007
carberry, manitoba
mine vibrates like crazy as well, but they said to put in the little rubber thing in between the plastic mount. but i think mine was vibrating inside the case. i was looking around on the net and found lots of motorsport people are looking to try eliminate that annoying vibrating. i mounted mine right behind the windshield looking over my hood and it was terrible. so i hope this works out great.
clarence

I got bored and modified the mount!

That's my only worry! Don't roll it. If it rolls, I will bend it back. If it's bent too bad I will buy some more threaded rod and whip another one up. I don't think I will be sidehilling while bush wacking through the trees with this mount on the front. This front mount was basically for terrain that I know I'm not going to roll it. I guess you have to be confident of your riding skills and limit the narly moves that might put you over the edge. The nice thing about this mount, is that it can be removed in a matter of minutes, still leaving the plate attached to the bumper and you can stick it in your back pack. I have since modified the front mount with a couple of side braces that might keep the vibration from moving side to side. I also discovered another POV location on the sled. Since I put the rear half of the Boondock tunnel on my sled, I had a hitch that I got to work with the new bumper on the back. I drilled a 3/8" hole on the top plate of the hitch and now I can fasten the 18" front arm to the top of the hitch and have the GoPro looking over my back. The sad thing is that I won't be able to get my sled out to test this mount until the second or third week of February. I'm having rotator cuff surgery done to my shoulder on the 28th of December. Tell me that doesn't suck! I guess when you hit 55, everything starts needing repair like an old truck! If I get out riding before then it will have to be a wimpy ride without getting to crazy, just to test the mounting and the POV. I will keep you posted on any vids that I have. The snow has been so crapy up here in northwest Montana, that everyone is still looking at their sled in the garage! The good thing is, that I pushed my Revy trip off into the middle of March. If that trip doesn't get cancelled, I should be able to bring some great footage back to share. BTW... the shot of the front of my sled is exactly where the GoPro will be mounted except with a wider POV.

Attachments

• P1010711.jpg
    P1010711.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,061
  • P1010717.jpg
    P1010717.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 614
  • P1010716.jpg
    P1010716.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Sweet mount!

My luck would be hitting a hidden stump, and flying over the bars, which would make for some great video from that angle. :face-icon-small-hap Just hope you clear the mount if it happens....

I rolled my Sled!

For all of you that wondered about rolling my sled with this mount attached to the bumper, mission accomplished! I didn't mean to, it just happened in a split second. The handle bars kept the nose of the sled from digging into the snow. I imagine on a big powder day the camera may sweep the snow a little but not to do enough to damage to the mount. Since the snow was so crapy and hard and rutted where we went, the camera had some shake but there were areas that the camera did fine. It's been real torture to only go out once this year since I had shoulder surgery. I will be able to finish out the year with some spring riding and gather some video to share.

Premium Features