• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10 Hp or 10 Pounds.....

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I guess it is all relevant as to your starting point and what kind of machine. 10 lbs is really peanuts when you can accumulate 10 lbs of snow in your skid. Now 10 HP is really relevent on a lighter machine and probly not so much on a heavier one.

I would take the horsepower on on a lighter chassis or at least 50 lbs on heavier one.

S
Nov 20, 2010
10 hp

I'd take the 10 hp and not eat so many ribeyes and lose ten pounds myself. Ever switch sleds with somone of a different weight? Makes a big difference.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
I really think it's all about how and where you like to ride. If I'm riding Brandywine BC. where it's nice and open and the hills are steep,long, and deep then I would take power over weight everytime. On the other hand if we are riding in the gorges and the trees are barely a sled length apart and yu never get the paddle on the bar for more than a second or two at a time then the lighter the better.
My first sled weighed 600lbs rtr. My new sled is 490lbs rtr. I can tell you that in the trees the old sled would leaves me spent by the end of the day. New sled same area and I wish I had more fuel.

But to answer the ? I would take 10 hp over 10lbs anyday.

Can I have the 670lb (M1100T) and Keep my 490lb Doo? We all just need Two sleds!!!:second:

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Looks like HP is king. The reason I started this thread is I have a buddy who likes to lighten up his sled. It is his thing. First he starts with the bolt on stuff, seat, airbox, pipe, can, hood, etc..... Then he gets serious. Out comes the grinder, drill, snips, whatever. He starts measuring weight loss in grams and ounces. He drills a little here, grinds some there, etc... Takes him hours and hours and days and days. He never really stops while he owns the sled. I must admit, his results are amazing. His M8 is light as a feather and still structurally sound. You give him the option, he would consider a 10 pound loss the Holy Grail. :)

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Looks like HP is king. The reason I started this thread is I have a buddy who likes to lighten up his sled. It is his thing. First he starts with the bolt on stuff, seat, airbox, pipe, can, hood, etc..... Then he gets serious. Out comes the grinder, drill, snips, whatever. He starts measuring weight loss in grams and ounces. He drills a little here, grinds some there, etc... Takes him hours and hours and days and days. He never really stops while he owns the sled. I must admit, his results are amazing. His M8 is light as a feather and still structurally sound. You give him the option, he would consider a 10 pound loss the Holy Grail. :)

If your buddy gets stuck a lot cuz he doesn't have the power let him know I would be more than happy to help him get unstuck with that nice lightweight sled:biggrin1:

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
He doesn't get stuck much. With the add on stuff, he probably added 15 hp. He does tend to hit alot of stuff though, rocks, stumps but especially trees..... :) LOL I started calling his sled Frankenstein due to all the zip ties...... :face-icon-small-ton

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
10 hp for the sled and a 10lb diet for me....at least I get the 10hp out of the deal. lol

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
10hp or 10lbs is not an equal comparison. 10hp or 40lbs is a closer comparison and in that case I would take the 40lbs because losing weight is expensive and on a sled over 600lbs, 40lbs is significant.
If you want to stick with 10hp or 10lbs you'd be an idiot to take the 10lbs

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
When do you take the weight....

Just a conversation I have occassionally with my buddy who is anal about shaving weight.

For conversation sakes everyone, when do you take weight over the 10 hp?

Me, give me 30 pounds and I will take the wieght, anything less, I take the hp. BUT, I am use to riding a heavy sled....2007 M1000.

That is why I am not too concerned about the M1100T. I went from a M7 I had put on a serious diet to a M1000, it took a little getting use to, but with the additional torque, I didn't mind the weight. This will probably be the same....much more torque....and weight. Just have to adjust to it. It will go on a diet and get a serious hp increase.... :)

Premium Features