• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100 T Engine Reliability???

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
I too have been told pretty much a program change to this motor and your at 220hp with little or no change to clutching etc. Maybe a HO in the near future?:face-icon-small-win

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Being from the MX world, it's so odd to read fourstroke and reliable in the same sentence. Fourstrokes are the more costly motors on the track, it's not just repair bills but also performance parts/mods and maintenance. They are why a lot are going back to twostrokes. They sure are easy to ride though. Just my 2 cents.

A 4 stroke MX bike is a single cylinder high strung high revving high performance machine, it has a high lift cam, Ti valves, single ring pistons etc and it is no way represents all 4 stroke engines, you drive a 4 stroke car or truck everyday when was the last time you even opened the hood to check the oil?

You cannot state that all 4 strokes take more maintenance than 2 strokes without quantifying how you came to that conclusion, if you are racing MX with a high revving 125 2 stroke and want to maintain peak performance you are probably replacing the single piston ring every week, if you are racing the Baja 1000 on your CRF450 you are not going to replace a piston or adjust the valves during a pit stop are you! No, you’re going to add gas and go.

Most high revving multi Cylinder Street bikes never get there valves adjusted, the owners are oblivious to maintenance and just ride them and they will last forever, when you make a blanket statement like that about all 4 strokes it just shows your ignorance

I have put thousands of miles on KTM 4 stroke dirt bikes and have never done any extra maintenance

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think you just told us the cause. As far as the fix, mmmmmmm, maybe let it shift before pinning it.

Hold on, does the 1100 use motor revers like the 2stokes do? If so "shifting" shouldn't be the issue.

Never run one, so if it's mech reverse... agreed completely, same would happen to the 07-08 if you didn't think about what you were doing.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Hold on, does the 1100 use motor revers like the 2stokes do? If so "shifting" shouldn't be the issue.

Never run one, so if it's mech reverse... agreed completely, same would happen to the 07-08 if you didn't think about what you were doing.

There's no such design today that will let the 4 stroke spin backwards, so it is mech reverse, like on the 07/08, besides the fact there's no DD.
Polaris FST has been running similar design on the reverse for years now. Don't know about the ski-doo. Yama still has a mech leaver for reverse if I'm right. So old school:)

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
I think your question should include if you want 200hp+ or not? If you do then I think most would agree that the 1100Turbo will out live ANY 2 stroke Turbo. This motor has been around for many years and running it stock or even bumping it up to 220hp will be built proof for many years. YES when it comes time to replace pistons and what not it will be more but I look at it like trucks....4 strokes maxed vs. diesels maxed. That's the best comparison I can think of. I'll take a turbo diesel ANY DAY over a turbo 4 stroke.

I was thinking of doing something like a 210-220HP trail map.. I dont need anything CRAZY like 270HP... Also.. Getting at least 4 years bumper to bumper warranty coverage from CAT, and then if something goes wrong just pull the fuel controller off for the cameras.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
I think your question should include if you want 200hp+ or not? If you do then I think most would agree that the 1100Turbo will out live ANY 2 stroke Turbo. This motor has been around for many years and running it stock or even bumping it up to 220hp will be built proof for many years. YES when it comes time to replace pistons and what not it will be more but I look at it like trucks....4 strokes maxed vs. diesels maxed. That's the best comparison I can think of. I'll take a turbo diesel ANY DAY over a turbo 4 stroke.

I'm assuming you mean against turbo 4 stroke gasoline engines, as turbodiesels can be 4 strokers also as you probably already know.....unless you're comparing to screamin' jimmies.

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
I haven't been searching but would still like to know what happens when you and your sled get separated and it's upside down and still running. The phazer mtn lite we had in our group puked its oil twice that week and put us into some really tight spots.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
After riding a TApex for years a adding a tether is manditory as far as I'm concermed. I know my M1100t will be getting one before it leaves the shop. Not sure how the crankcase breather works on these but I know lots of guys that put an electronic valve that closed the breather tube when the tether was pulled for that reason. They always leaked oil when upside down.:face-icon-small-win

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009

Uh, not to state the obvious, but the diesel engines in pickups ARE four strokes... Food for thought...

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
There are 2 stroke diesel engines out there, not very common and really old but they do exist!
Actually two stroke diesels are really very common, just not in pickups... Diesel fuel is almost the perfect fuel for the two stroke platform. Granted a Detroit diesel is way more complicated than say your chainsaw... But really, a lot of ships still use two strokes, generators, older buses, and you still even hear the screaming six in a dump truck sometimes, and they run in a lot of fire trucks. The downfall is that for it to scavenge air into the cylinders, its got to have a supercharger. Which pressurizes the crank case, because they don't use the primary/secondary compression like our sleds, and dirtbikes.
Basically its like plugging up the breather on your old Chevy truck engine, and putting a low pressure compressor on it. You're gonna leak some oil! I ran an old Idaho norland snow blower with a 12v71 Detroit in it, and after a shift of running the poo out of it, it'd be a gallon low in oil. I'm sure it burned some, but I'm willing to bet that it leaked more!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
These should be bulletproof as long as your not extending the RPM's higher than it's designed for! 7900 - 8300. Remember the loads go up by the square the faster you turn it. Another benefit is the clutching never really bogs the engine like a 5 or 6 speed gearbox and you are in the wrong gear with high loads. It is just happily spinning along! Mike

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
These should be bulletproof as long as your not extending the RPM's higher than it's designed for! 7900 - 8300. Remember the loads go up by the square the faster you turn it. Another benefit is the clutching never really bogs the engine like a 5 or 6 speed gearbox and you are in the wrong gear with high loads. It is just happily spinning along! Mike

So you're saying it'll last longer because you're not lugging it? I'll buy that, and never really thought if it like that. Thanks

Premium Features