• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seasonal Diamond Drive Maintenance Questions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's right, I now remember the pain I had trying to get the two lower rear bolts back in the cover holes and tightened properly. The plastic for the belly pan blocked access to the holes. I have never removed an entire DD, just the case cover.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
on the 07'-08' cases it is 11 ft-lbs and i think its even less for the 09'+ cases with the gasket

On the 2009, 2010 the torque spec for the M6X1 bolts is 7.5-10 ft. lbs. That spec is for those fasteners into aluminum. Into steel the torque spec is 12-14 ft. lbs.

I learned this the hard way.......torqued to 12 ft lbs using my fancy snap-on inch pound torque wrench that equates to 144 inch pounds. Well I pulled some threads on a couple holes. I ended up pulling my entire diamond drive out........and heli-coil repairing the threads.......and while I was at it I just did them all with heli-coils. So now I have all 13 holes filled with hardened stainless heli-coils and it tightens up nice and solid and to spec.

It was a bit of a pain........but now I don't have any fears of pulling my case cover for inspection every year. So yeah..........be carefull when tightening up those case cover bolts! Cheers and I wish you all a happy sledding season ahead!

Dave

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
On the 2009, 2010 the torque spec for the M6X1 bolts is 7.5-10 ft. lbs. That spec is for those fasteners into aluminum. Into steel the torque spec is 12-14 ft. lbs.

I learned this the hard way.......torqued to 12 ft lbs using my fancy snap-on inch pound torque wrench that equates to 144 inch pounds. Well I pulled some threads on a couple holes. I ended up pulling my entire diamond drive out........and heli-coil repairing the threads.......and while I was at it I just did them all with heli-coils. So now I have all 13 holes filled with hardened stainless heli-coils and it tightens up nice and solid and to spec.

It was a bit of a pain........but now I don't have any fears of pulling my case cover for inspection every year. So yeah..........be carefull when tightening up those case cover bolts! Cheers and I wish you all a happy sledding season ahead!

Dave

Wasn't there a misprint and the torque values are to high?

I thought it was like 50 "INCH" pounds

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Wasn't there a misprint and the torque values are to high?

I thought it was like 50 "INCH" pounds

Man...........I don't know for sure but if there was a misprint I wish we could find someone to verify. I looked up in a fastner application guide through work about the torque spec for the M6X1 fastner in aluminum........everyone on here had been saying 12 ft. lbs. and that seemed about right as we torque 1/4-20 SCHS at work all day long at 14.......different fastners but similar in size. Well then I pulled the threads and above is the rest of the story.

So I went back and when I put it all together I torqued the bolts to 100 inch pounds which is 8.3 ft. lbs and that seemed plenty tight. I was putting my sled back together after doing the wide-bearing mod. So I just finished machining the transfer gear shaft and installing wide-bearings for two of my buddies M8's. I was planning to torque their bolts into the factory aluminum at 100 inch pounds.......maybe I will back that off to 85 or 90......I am just going to be real cautious as I don't want to mess up their cases and have to do what I did to mine.............not a difficult job to pull the drive and heli-coil.....but a pain the butt none-the-less.

If anyone has info on what Arctic Cat calls for torque spec on these fasteners it would be cool if you could post up a picture from the manual for the rest of us. I have looked online long and hard to find it and zip.......nada......and my local Arctic Cat dealer closed the doors this year or I would ask them. Just be carefull snugging these little fastners up fellas.......

Dave

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
i think torqing them dd screws is overkill. just snug with a 1/4" rachet. it will be fine. it has worked for me. just me 2 cents.

Premium Features