• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'01 800 Backfiring, Need Help

A
Sled runs good at low end and top end, around 4500 rpms "dead" spot, then when you continue to open it up it backfires. Sled had new reeds, plugs, cleaned out the fuel and put new fuel in it. Cleaned carburetors. Any suggestions, perhaps timing issues?

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
If it runs good on low and high throttle you might want to look your needle in the carb over really good. Might be a scuff on it. If it is a lean pop try throwing on the choke in that rpm range and see if the backfire goes away.

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
If it were me, I'd do what Spiderman suggested, Run choke (If your pop goes away, its lean, check your filters, if those are good pull your carbs and make sure your floats arent sticking and make sure your jets are clean) Pull your plugs check those out.

Thats just what I'd do, I'm no mechanic so you don't have to take my word for it, if anything call your local dealer's service dept and they should be able to give you a good educated idea of where to start over the phone.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Partially clogged pilot jets can cause lean condition at idle and hesitation at mid range. I had to clean the pilot jets on one sled last year and the other this year. I would check to see where the idle air mixture screws are set. After cleaning the carbs, they should be set to original factory setting (one turn out), and then tweak from there (if necessary) when the motor is at proper running temperature in proper conditions for the jetting.

If it's jetted for low elevation and cold temperatures, then it will run rich in warm-ish temps. Make sure it's jetted for your riding conditions (both temperature and elevation), and don't try to diagnose or correct lean/rich conditions unless your running it in the conditions it's jetted for.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Pop

Check plugs and caps. If the screw on terminal type plugs, make sure the ends are tight. Also make sure the caps make good contact on the plug. You can pinch the cap with a pair of pliers to make them tighter or replace them if you need to.

J
Nov 26, 2009
eugene
Thanks for all the help,to all that gave advice think i might have it going to bump up the main jets and richen up the slide it was jetted for 9to 12 we ride at 5 to 6 moving the slide should take out the midrange flat spot

rmk156

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Edgerton MN
did you check your reeds??? you may have one pedal cracked or broke....... I have had this twice with vforce reeds...

Premium Features