• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 Dodge 2500 Cummins Death Wobble

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA
Yeah I'm gonna have them change it back when I get back from my trip. Sucks though, $60 worth of alignment that didn't need to be done and I'll have to pay another $60 to have them change it back.

They should re-align at no charge, thats what my scwhab does.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Not here, I already asked them. I might just leave it because the truck drives fine and I looked back in my previous alignment records when they installed the lift and what its set at now is what Les Schwab had it set at before it went to the dealership for the new front end.

R
Dec 4, 2009
nampa
Hey i had an 05 that i had the death wobbel happen several times. the fix for my truck was a new dampner on the stearing bar and we also had to replace one the steering rods , sorry i cant remember for the life of me what the actual name is. but i know the dampner plays a big role in stoping the wobbel

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have heard guys with the 08/09 steering update have DW after that mod is complete. It is not the tires IMO. I would check all the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and most importantly i would check the steering stabilizer.

JFYI Bilstein now makes a steering stabilizer for the Dodge.

Alot of guys think their ball joints are within spec but the minute you can feel the smallest amount of play they are toast. I was talking to a front end guy and he was telling me so many guys have no idea how to check the ball joints and think a little play is within spec. Not so.

I have been very luck and have never had the DW in 160,000 km so im sure i'm due since i suspect i have at least one ball joint that is toast.

My choice in ball joints are XRF, Dynatrac, and Carli. Carli is last since they are 1200-1300 bucks for a set. Dynatracs are around the 600 buck range, and XRF's are 370 bucks for a set.

P

powder79

Apr 20, 2008
South Dakota
the up dated track bar is not adjustable and it has different bushing in the end of it. more then likely it is the damping shock. a buddy of mine went throw the same thing and fought it for 2 years before he found out what was wrong

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I have heard guys with the 08/09 steering update have DW after that mod is complete. It is not the tires IMO. I would check all the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and most importantly i would check the steering stabilizer.

Alot of guys think their ball joints are within spec but the minute you can feel the smallest amount of play they are toast. I was talking to a front end guy and he was telling me so many guys have no idea how to check the ball joints and think a little play is within spec. Not so.

I have been very luck and have never had the DW in 160,000 km so im sure i'm due since i suspect i have at least one ball joint that is toast.

My choice in ball joints are XRF, Dynatrac, and Carli. Carli is last since they are 1200-1300 bucks for a set. Dynatracs are around the 600 buck range, and XRF's are 370 bucks for a set.

I'd watch the dynatracs they have already been recalled. I think the issue is fixed (or so they say) and are shipping out replacements, but still learly of it. I honestly don't know what i'm going to do, 80k miles on my stocks and the last 20k has been with 37" tires so I cannot complain. I might just replace them with stocks when they need it. Unless by then another set has been proven to last longer.

Carlis are a massive waste of money. I would never even think of spending that much coin on them.

Good to hear you hopefully found your issue. Caster around 4.5 is the BEST for our trucks. With it set that low you are risking more death wobble, but if it drives fine no problem leaving it alone.

The main problems that will cause death wobble is rims, tires, steering stabilizer, tie rods, track bar, or out of alignment. However you CAN run a properly setup truck on the highway at 80 mph without a steering stabilizer and it will drive fine. It is just much better to have to control the tires. It will not (or should not) "cure" death wobble, it might only mask it. Another good investment for a lifted truck is a steering box brace. It will help the life or your steering box quite a bit, and help steering.

Last edited:
N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007

In this case, it is the tires (one tire). If it wasn't, why when I had my other set of wheels and tires put on did the DW go away? The truck will not do it now. They have since put the BFG's back on, replacing the culprit tire and there is no DW, problem solved.

There is no play in the ball joints, I have been out with the techs everytime they were checked and at 3 different shops (Dodge Dealer and 2 Les Schwabs) they've never changed. The front end has been checked over and over again but with only 2300miles on the updated kit I find it really hard that its gone out already. Bushings, bearings have all been inspected and are fine. The steering box, pitman arm, drag link, tire rods, adjusting bar, steering stabilizer have all been replaced and are brand new.

Last edited:
N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
I'm already thinking about ordering new balljoints and axel u-joints to be installed in this spring. But, as for now I'm gonna leave the truck alone since after the tire change it isn't doing the Death Wobble anymore. I am also considering swaping to the new Dirt Logic 4.0 shock kit from Fabtech which includes the new steering stabilizer.

Premium Features