• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 dodge with 6.7 deisel

Dec 7, 2007
Leduc, Alberta
I have an 08 with around 30K on it and it only went into regen ONCE, that is right when I got home from the dealer. As long as you put it in high idle if it will idle for more then 5 mins you generally don't have any problems, as the exhaust seems to burn cleaner and not soot up the DPF.

I also see just over 20 MPG cruising at 120 kmh.

I just put a smarty programmer on it last weekend and it seems to have lots more power and just slightly better mileage.

As for the DPF I will probalby leave mine alone till the warranty is over then I will pull it off, that is the main reason I went with the SMARTY, it allows you to tune with or without the DPF.

I also have an 08 and have never had any problems. The truck now has 40,000km and i have never had it go into regen...it gets about 18-20 MPG at about 120kmh running 35" tires. I had an 06 with the 5.9 that got about the same mileage but never had the same kind of power towing as the 6.7 does...and that engine brake is the best thing Dodge ever put on there trucks for towing.

B
I picked up an 09 2500 back in May. Like everyone has said, once you do all the deletes, its an amazing truck. I went with an H&S delete. Completely code free and being able to add 175hp doesn't hurt either with the downloader. Smarty also makes a code free delete option. Only problem i've been hearing about is trucks built after March 09 have locked ecms, so you can't screw with them at all, but the above mentioned companies are already working on software that will work for the newest Rams.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Thanks for all the reply's.Sounds like you almost HAVE to mod the truck and delete the emissions stuff to have a decent reliable truck.My prob is I want a warranty(Isn't that half the reason of buying new) and I have talked to 4 different dealers around here and if they can prove it have been modded in any way the warranty is void.And to be honest thats the way it should be.Mod the truck=lose the warranty.Just sucks you need to mod it to be reliable.

Prob just get one and run it till something happens,get it fixed under warranty then mod it....:face-icon-small-hap

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
you dont have to do the deletes for it to be a good pickup, come on its a dodge! i have almost 50 thousand miles on mine, about 40k not deleted, with it never going to the dealership. but after deleting everyhing it is atotal different pickup. ive got a six inch lift with 37s and can get 18 on the interstate, not too bad in anybodys book. get on cumminsforum.com and talk to some people in the 6.7 section. theres one guy with 210000 miles on his and it has never been to the stealership for engine/emission warranty issues, and he owns a car transport business, so its always towin. my dealer is totally fine with me deleting everything, in fact the service manager wanted me to try it to see how it worked out.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
My dealer's service manager said the same thing but also said the warranty would be void.He said after it's modded the ecu will have codes in it that will alert dodge if it's ever plugged into for warranty work.The codes will stay in the ecu even if you take the deletes off before taking it in.(what a pain in the butt)

He said he wishes they could do deletes,the trucks run so much better with less probs.

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
Whatever happened to proving the mods done to truck was the result of a aftermarket parts or anything not stock causing failures? I just had my truck in for issues that was covered under warranty which wasn't the result of my tampering certain parts of the truck anatomony. Maybe some dealers are more fussier than mine. I understand wholly that if parts on my truck fail and it was a direct result of my handywork that its coming out of my pocket.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
One of the guys I ride with has a 08 6.7 completely stock. He farms and has cows so pulls the horse trailer ect with it. Not sure on his miles now after a year but he hasn't had any problems. His mileage is about identical to my 6.4L 08 Ford 12 in the winter 14 in the summer and around 10 pulling. The engine break was great for pulling the enclosed out west and the mega cab is huge. Seems like a good setup if you like it and got a good price go with it. IMO there all about the same now as far as problems with all the new emissions requirements. None of the manufacturers get the mileage stock since emissions and if you leave it alone the factory warranties will cover you for quite a few miles. If I'm right and Dodge is like Ford emissions is covered for 100k miles.

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
I have a 08 Mega. 10k miles and they replaced the turbo because of the EGR! As you will read on the Dodge and Cummins forums alot of us have just done the deletes. Mine was $1k for a 5" turbo back exhaust with the EGR delete and a Smarty programmer. Can I drive into a dealer...no but then I don't need to with all of the crap removed it runs great. If it dies then I spend a day putting the stuff back on and tow it to a dealer. Let them prove I caused the failure in court, won't happen. You don't need the full exhaust you can do a DPF delete and the EGR delete and plug the Smarty in and you will be OK, just check the forums for updated information on the new ECM's.

Premium Features