• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 Cummins 2500 ideas

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Ok guys, Ive got a 03 3/4 ton dodge with the HO cummins and 6 speed. Its leveled and has wheels and tires on it. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for what I should do to the powertrain. Chip, exhaust, intake, etc. I would like to not hurt the mileage too much when just driving but would like more power for dragging sleds, tractors, boat lifts, etc.

Thanks

Jake

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
Without a doubt get yourself a smarty either the Sr or the JR, you will be blown away. Intake, I had very good luck with the S&B but there are many to choose from. Exhaust can be hit and miss cause the Cummins can be a victim of horrible drone in the cab depending on what route you go. I am a fan of the magnaflow, others will say MBRP or silverline but IMHO the magnaflow with their muffler sounds the best with the least amount of drone.
With the 03 you may look at updating the lift pump to a Airdog or fass, the 03 have the external pump and is easy to plumb in the new pump unless it has been updated to the in tank style then the fuel tank needs to be dropped or the bed removed for proper installation.

:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
six speed. Id manual then? Not sure how much power the stock clutch is good for, but that may be an area to look into deff.
Chip- smarty is the best i believe. but u can pick up others way cheaper. depends wat u wanna do
intake-Afe stage2 is good. I just bought a K&N ill report how it is
Intake manifold.- any of the brands
exhaust- i just cut the muffler an cat outta the stock 4''

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Get yourself a South Bend Con OFE. Then your good for a little over 450 hp. You can get an FE but I hear thats a little grabbier. I had an OFE in my 01 and it worked great.

I have a Smarty on my 03, but I think there are other good programmers for the 03.

The TST, Predator and PPE all seem to have good reps on the 03-early 04 motors.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Thanks guys. I will look at all of those. The clutch is something I will need to do. I pull to much heavy stuff for stocker to last too long. The lift pump is already done.

Mine doesnt have a cat and it is stock 3 inch I believe. Should I mess with that?? Or...

A smarty chip is the thing to get then?? What can I expect for gains from that and what effect on mileage will it have??

I woud appreciate a report on the K&N setup. That sounds good.

Thanks for the info guys!! Much :beer;:beer;:beer; to you!!

Jake

J
May 17, 2009
Hayden, ID
I have an '05 and run a Edge with attitude, MBRP 4" catback with cat delete, and a Volant intake. I love the sound of mine, and very little if any drone.

I recommmend the Edge to anyone since I love to be able to monitor everything, but once I get my '06 with the manual I will be stacking a edge and smarty.

Running level 3 on the edge and with the stock tires I can get 18-21 on the highway. With my 35" BFGs, I drop about 1mpg.

B
Dec 8, 2007
Here is what I have, Fass system, industrial injection built 33% cp3 pump, dragon flow 90hp injectors, 62 super phat shaft turbo, ats exhaust manifold, s&b intake, and a afe intake horn, smarty set @100hp, and a dr performance set @120 chip. I have a south bend feramic and it is rated at 550 and I can slip it with no load. New plans are head studs, fire rings, new dual disc street clutch from south bend, and industrial injection twin turbos. Running empty I average 24mpg!! empty and 18 loaded.

Premium Features