• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'04 LB7 DMax - Need Advice Please

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I've got the Attitude Edge and my buddy had a PPE. I'd honestly go with the PPE. I don't like how the Edge shifts at higher settings and have heard some had issues.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
whats your guy's trucks do?

Ours does a quarter at 15.9 on the best test on a cold day at 84 mph. And it hits the rev limiter at 117 mph.

C

crestview

Dec 3, 2007
Kimberly Id
I had an edge attitude on my 02 duramax. I now run the PPE. The PPE is by far better all around feel. Ya it was nice to bump the edge up to stage 5 at a stop light to beat the socks off any ricer but with the ppe you get a smoother power. The PPE has up to 10 settings without building a tranny I would get the basic package that has 4 or 5 settings. (I can't remember) The 10th setting is a 350 horse tune that without an aftermaket lift pump you can't get enough fuel to the motor to do it jusice. lol.

The best bang for you buck is a boost tube from PPE. It cost me 30 bucks and took 5 minutes to install and gave me 9 more pounds of boost for my turbo.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Are you looking for LOTS of power out of your D-max or just a mild boost? The Edge will give a nice increase, but if you want the most power you should have someone tune it with EFI Live. I have a buddy in Idaho Falls that is a pro at it, if you are interested.

The B&W is a great setup. Best one I have seen. It is what we use in all our trucks.

What is EFI live , is it a program mod to stock system or a inline box like the edge .

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
efi live i believe is a program you buy for your laptop then you hook it up to your truck and reprogram the stock computer. from what i've heard you can get some impressive gains doin this and you can pretty much change anything thats ran by the computer on your vehicle.

the down fall is you gotta know what your doing or if you have someone else do it and there not near by or somethin your stuck with what ya got and cant change it with the flip of a switch like on some of the chips.

there are some companys on the net that you can call and they will make a few custom tunes for your needs and then program them into a hand held programmer then you install them just like a superchips or something like that.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
My buddy has an 04 LB7 6 speed manual with the Juice.

We have tried the following:

EDGE Juice with Attitude
Bullydog Triple Dog
Hypertech

I would recommend them in that order. The Hypertech flat out sucked. Didn't even feel like it had any more power. The Bullydog had enough power in the performance setting to slip the stock clutch.

The EDGE seems to run a little better, but we never tried Crazy Larry on the Bullydog.

Another buddy has an 06 with the PPE and would have to say if I had a Duramax I would go PPE. That truck is very impressive.

I would stay away from Banks. Way overpriced IMO.

Had another buddy with the Superchips on an 04 that seemed to run well, but the Bullydog ran harder.

Just my experience.

MY VOTE IS FOR PPE.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Thanks for the info everyone, and thanks to those that shot me PM's. I will definitely keep your numbers and get ahold of you. Now it's just a matter off allocating funds in the right order to get everything I want. Sounds like the PPE or Edge, turbo-back exhaust and intake..............................and air bags, hide-a-ball, tint, bed-liner, and wheels/tires.;) Got some work to do.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone ever try both the Edge and PPE on the same truck? Just looking for a back-to-back comparison. Was previously leaning towards the Edge w/Attitude but now I'm thinking PPE. I'm just looking for fuel economy and a little more pull while towing. Will be throwing a turbo-back exhaust on it probably this fall. I've got an '04 with the LB7.

C

crestview

Dec 3, 2007
Kimberly Id
I ran the edge for 2 years then stacked it with a ppe for 6 months till I blew a set of injectors. I then sold my edge and bought gauges and run the ppe buy its self. The ppe is smoother shifts better and has neat things like resetting your tranny, adjusting your tire size so the speedo works correctly, and you can check for codes too. The ppe turned up is a power monster on the duramax just don't get to crazy or you will have to build your tranny.

BTW the ppe runs a few hundered degrees cooler than the edge. So for those of us who tow that is huge. It smokes less so it means more fuel is being used as well.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
BTW the ppe runs a few hundered degrees cooler than the edge. So for those of us who tow that is huge. It smokes less so it means more fuel is being used as well.

Good to know if that's really true. I know my buds Megacab with 5" MBRP and Edge/Attitude would reach 1300F faster than 3rd gear. Freaked me out how fast that thing would get hot not even pulling anything. Not sure he always picked the best time to rod it tho either. He would always sit with his foot on the brake trying to get spooled up and shoot the black, but it never happened for some reason. I think that along with the help of Level 5 a little too often ultimately let to his stock tranny failure.

Premium Features