• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Problems on 99 600 Powder Special

M
Apr 15, 2008
Brigham City
Ok am getting a little frustrated!! May someone can help?? Problem is when trying to load my buddies 600 P/S onto my trailer the sled will hang up and burn the belt, never had a sled do this before, I had a 2000 600 and she jumped right up ther no problem also my M8 just jumps right up there. Here is what I have done: Cleaned and installed new belt of the right size, installed new Comet 108 with 48 gram weights, red comet spring, installed new bearing on the speocket shaft the one next to the speedometer drive, all the other idler wheels are free and track is not to tight. Runs up fine on the stand but I'm afraid that when we get into some deep powder we could have some problems. This has happened three times so that why the new clutch..but it did not solve the problem....Any suggestions???

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
I've got the same sled with a Black Magic clutch, pipe and chip and lately have felt the same about mine. On dry (pavement, trailer) it seems to really struggle to start to move. Once moving seems OK. Seems to go fine in the powder. Other issue I have is engagement seems awful high. In some cases it's engaging well above 4500. Called BM about it (before they went belly up) and their only suggestion was a new belt. Hope diggerdown ^^^ is wrong cause I have no idea where I would find a replacement BM spring.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Most of the BM clutch kits did have high engagement, meant for racing. If it is inconsistant the first thing to do is check you belt deflection. If the belt is too loose you will get high rev and a jerky start. Next the primary could have wear issues. Bushings, buttons, springs, cams, cam bolts and bushings, and rollers. First things that usually wear out are the bushings and bolts for the cam weights. Also check the wear surface of the cams. Also check the belt to sheave clearence on the primary. It should be .010 to .015.

Last edited:

snailbait

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Utah
Digger is on the right track...be real thorough about checking the spider for cracks, and also pull the spring out to make sure its not cracked or broken...sometimes you can't tell unless you actually pull it out.
Good info ..hope this helps.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Check the gear ratio, cat is famous for puting in high gears,,,, thats for the high- low elevation mountains. Try 20 44 or so. Sounds low but ran this set up and didn't have to change the clutch springs cat recommended for high elevation . If any body talks you into 19 tooth top sprocket be aware that the smaller the top sprocket the better the chance of chain breakage. With the lower gears you may want to try steeper angle helix. If the helix is a 53 go to a 55 this will help keep a load on the engine. This will also help belt life.

Last edited:
Premium Features