• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

have you rode a Moto Trax?

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
Looking for some real world ride reports on this kit. I like alot of the features on this new option, but not a lot of reports?

Trying to decide if I should order a 17 TSLT or go out on a limb and try something new.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I briefly got to try theirs at the Expo in West Yellowstone a few weeks back. Between my experience on a snowbike and the conditions I probably wouldn't base your opinion off mine but there are a few things I noticed. Also I think the reason you don't see a lot of reports is they kept production pretty small their first year, I believe they said 100 units.
I have a 13 TS ST with a 15 ski, so when I got on the mototrax kit with their current kit ski it wasn't bad but I more noticed how effortlessly you could lean on the trail. I didn't get to really do any deep snow, the conditions were crust ontop of baseless snow. It did seem to be really easy and friendly for some newbies to snowbiking in my opinion. They had another bike there with is what they said was close to their new ski for this coming year and as soon as I took off on it I wasn't a fan. I thought it jumped around on the trail in the other ruts a lot. Their team was awesome to chat with and their track on the coming year sounds like it will be the same track as my TS ST has now. Which makes sense on how their kit handles no need for cut outside paddles on the track. I do like how on their 17 the brake is covered. Their kit seems to look really light but I haven't seen numbers. I talked to them a lot about their spindle and I really think I'll be purchasing one of them before anything next year. It doesn't clamp around the fork legs and has a part that is meant to fail which is a very cheap piece and could be carried with you.

S
Mar 8, 2008
I have only rode the mototrax kit and it worked very well. 6" of new wet snow on top of crusted hard pack. On the trail it was easy to lean and move around. The ski darted arround on the trail but friends with the TS kits say they like the mototrax rideability better on the trail. In the deep snow all being 120" kits they said no difference. ????

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I spent a few minutes on a couple of their kits, once in deep dry snow and once again in wet snow with more of a base in the same open hillside. for reference I have a '14 Timbersled ST and have spent some time on a couple '16 sts, one with TSS.
The Mototrax sags more when you sit on it, like a dirt bike- I'm a fatty so regardless of the kit I need stiffer springs, but I've talked to other riders who thought the back was a bit soft. It looks like they changed the linkage for '17 so that may be a non-issue.
The Mototrax didn't get on top of the snow as well as my Timbersled at low speeds- say under 10mph or so. Once I got above that it popped up like a boat getting on plane. I really like the way the suspension felt when riding, it's way more dirt-bikeish than any Timbersled I've been on. The Mototrax had much less ski pressure than fixed timbersleds. The timbersled TSS equipped bike I spent some time on is a lot better than the fixed kits but still had some odd handling charactaristics, mainly on downhills.
I don't want to comment on the ski because I think they were testing different non-production designs when they let me take the bikes for a spin.

camo323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Spokane
I would highly suggest going and riding all the brands before purchasing if possible. We were able to ride a 16 moto traxx last weekend along side a 16 Yeti, 17 timbersled LE, 16 Timbersled with TSS and a 17 Timbersled RAW. Just stating facts, there were over 25 people that rode all the models and I didn't hear one person say the Moto Traxx was their favorite. Most preferred the ride and ability of the Timbersled LE over the rest. Technology advances quickly on these kits. Do yourself a favor and ride them if you can so you can make your own decision. The new LE from TS is one you should ride before buying in my opinion. Regardless you will have fun with what ever you purchase. Good luck.

M
Mar 14, 2012
We agree riding the kits helps a lot in making your choice, that is why we had so much success at the West Yellowstone EXPO and when we rolled out the 2017 model, over 100 people rode the 16's and 17's side by side with the other brand kits and kept coming back to ride ours again and again and its to bad the Moto365 guys declined the offer for us to bring up the all new 2017 MotoTrax to compare with the others for there big demo ride as it is a total game changer, I assume that may have messed up their test though:face-icon-small-dis. Also its not all about the ride but quality and who makes it. Are kits are made in the USA by riders, unfortunately one of our competitors is sending its parts overseas.

So when it comes down to what you are getting some important things to consider are:

How does it ride, both in the deep and on the TRAIL, don't let someone tell you that the trail performance is not important unless you unload in 2ft of fresh every ride.

Whats the real value of the kit, our $3,999 kit is not a de-featured version of our good kit, it is the short track version of our lineup. So yes it still comes fully painted and with our Patent Pending pivot, as well as all of the other tech that makes MotoTrax so competitive.

Lastly where and how are the kits made, I realize not everyone cares about this but even are $3,999 kit is designed and MADE (not just assembled) in the US with quality brands like FOX, SKF, CAMSO, REGINA, WILLWOOD, GALFER etc. Some of the competing brands have decided to move some of there production overseas.

Last thing to consider is what kind of customer service are you going to get, what happens when you break a part mid week and the dealer has to put in his order which puts you out a week, we send parts direct to customers as needed. In fact we send complete units to customers via UPS or Fedex so you don't have to own a fork lift or pay lift gate fees just to receive it.

Point of the post is there is a lot to factor into your purchase over just the canned demo and many competitive products. The most important thing about snow bikes is the experience, snow biking is one of the most enjoyable activities on the planet, so find your fix, and enjoy every moment of it!

Just to be clear the moto 365 demo ride was an event for our customers to try a few different kits. I hope you can understand why we did not want another manufacturer to show up and give our customer's their sales pitch. We have no interest in competing head to head with a manufacturer, we're simply a Timbersled dealer with a passion for snowbiking.

However I'd love to throw a leg over your 2017 kit.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Looks like Moto365 had a good set up for their test rides.
That FC450 and MotoTrax combination is what our Snowbike racer Justin Homan has at home. Hillclimb racer #285 Aaron Sterck just won yesterday's Jackson Hole World Championship hillcross on the same bike and kit.

12322879_1146306678736994_4029451818871241880_o.jpg

M
Mar 14, 2012
Just to be clear the moto 365 demo ride was an event for our customers to try a few different kits. I hope you can understand why we did not want another manufacturer to show up and give our customer's their sales pitch. We have no interest in competing head to head with a manufacturer, we're simply a Timbersled dealer with a passion for snowbiking.

However I'd love to throw a leg over your 2017 kit.

I understand why we were not invited, but matching Timbersleds latest and greatest against our first model year is a very biased test. All we want is for everyone to ride our new unit and see how well it performs in ALL snow conditions compared to the competition.

With that being said you are more than welcome to try our new kit, we will be having a demo ride in the Spokane area VERY soon.

Last edited:

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Understand and agree about the sales pitch, but I also recognize that apples to apples comparisons are the best.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Premium Features