• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to buy snoscoot what to look for?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So my 6 year old is ready to move up from his 120. I really don't know a whole lot about the snoscoots so what stuff should I look for when buying one? Any particular issues they are known for? And what price is typical for the NW? Thanks

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Tracks are a common issue. They are all about 25 years old if they are OEM. The rubber will lekely be dry rotted.

New tracks are around $600.

More parts available for Scoots since they were built for 3 years.

Electric start is almost a necessity for the little guys.

There are threads were guys have added Phazer headlight pods with windshields and also made them in to long tracks.

Prices here in MN tend to run from $1200 to $2500 for a running unit with a good track.

Google Scoot Man for tons of parts.

I am giving my 5 year old one for his 6th birthday coming up soon. We will be going through it as a father/son project so I have a lot to learn on them.

Between all my buddies, I think there are about 12 Scoots. Every one of them preaches how the C&A Pro mini skis are the first thing you should to so the kids can turn.

Heated grips are a must have as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
Good running motor if the thing don't run price goes way down.
Pistons no longer arable from Yamaha and a carb will cost you $300 plus .
Make sure it runs and drives

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So are these scoots pretty reliable on the trails? With the plastic skis do they turn ok for the smaller kids? About how many miles can you get out of one tank on the trail?

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I'm not even sure if you can ride them on trails legally here in MN.
My only experience with them is ripping around the yard or fields. Not sure on the mileage.

Mine has never been registered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
I've got two that my kids regularly ride on the trails around here. Both are registered, we've been pulled over a few times by the county sheriffs to check the kids safety certificates and never had anything said about the scoots themselves.

H
Jul 15, 2014
Frames are actually fairly weak. Look closely for any cracks or repair jobs in the frame especially near the front end

Mufflers very hung in a spot susceptible to tree stumps, rocks and ice and often got banged hard, broken off or damaged

Rear shocks has two circular ends that bushings go in to mount. These often wore thin and allowed for slop and play.

I'd say biggest issue you can't always tell is the drive shaft. The splines often wore off to the point that shaft can/ could slip and the drive shafts are very hard to come by

Other than that amazing little machines. A real blast. Restored one for my son last Christmas. Posted a thread about it on here.

Good luck, you won't regret it

Oh! The seems to sell for much cheaper in the north east as opposed to central or west

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Electric start is almost a requirement for me. The kick start sounds like it only turns the engine over twice before you have to kick it again. The electric start will allow you start it on real cold days or if it flooded/ran out of gas.

This is the machine to buy in as good of shape as possible as the used parts needed to fix one back up outweighs the cost of buying a good one in the first place.

N
Jan 4, 2010
Langley, B.C.
Sno Scoot

I had a scoot and a sport, put about 500 miles a winter on the trails with my two girls. Probably the best sledding memories that I have.

Still see a couple each year at the Puyallup sled show.

NTO

J
Apr 6, 2008
Electric start Scoot. Rare color. Really good shape.

Give me a call. I've got a friend with a really decent one for sale. Ready to use. It's the rare green one. Tracks good. Seats good. Runs good.

Sent you a PM with my number.

Premium Features