• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does a bent or damaged bulkhead affect the motor?

A
Oct 28, 2013
I have a 2004 Summit and the bulkhead is damaged. I don't want to take the sled to a shop to be repaired because I'm afraid that the bill will be more than I have in the sled and I also don't have the money to dump the sled and upgrade to anything all that better. I would like the straighten the bulkhead myself and continue riding the sled but I'm worried about the effects on the motor. If the bulkhead is not straightened perfectly will it unbalance the motor and cause problems?

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Well it will not unbalance the motor. It would have to be bent pretty good to be not ridable. Check the belt alignment and deflection, chain case for cracks. Do the panels still fit? Align skis and go. I had an 08 that was a lil bent up and panels didn't line up perfect anymore. Rode it like I stole it.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
It would have to be seriously bent for it to affect the motor but it could affect the clutch alignment. I hit an ice shelf doing about 30 mph and bent the nun right behind the primary so bad you couldn't turn the clutch at all by hand.

I replaced the bent nun with one off a rev race sled and added WWRacer's chassis braces and she's as good as new. Took me about 2 weeks to get her fixed and I learned a lot in the process.

Premium Features