• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 Mountain Cat 900 Gas/Oil Questions

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Just bought a new sled and picking it up in Castlegar this weekend. Stoked to ride this weekend.

Its a 03 Mountain Cat 900 carb with the 151". I've read the Maintenance/How-to Forums (lots of good stuff in there) But I have a couple of basic questions since its been a while since I been on a sled.

What do you guys run in your Mtn cats 91 or 93?
I only put 93 or 94 Octane in my Suzi Rm 250 so I'm assuming the same, does it matter? or will it Ping/lose power with 91 octane.

Also back when I had my 98 Powder Special 600 efi in High school I ran Arctic Cat APV 2 Stroke oil does it need this pricy oil as well or was Mainjet just squeezing money from me>?

Any Info on this topic would be great Thanks!

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Your fuel depends more on your elevation. These engines were designed to run regular pump gas, with the mountain sleds needing more if you were at low elevation due to the timing curve.

We run 91 in ours, running from 6-9000 feet. But we're not running exactly stock engines. Most of our friends with stock sleds run 91 as well, but could get away with 87.

As for oil, you'll get as many opinions as replies. We run a Torco semi-synthetic, and it seems to work well.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
plugs and oil

I ran BR9EYA NGK plugs from new in a 2003 900 mtn cat. The oil is up to you Arctic Cat APV oil is good oil but you can get better but you WILL Pay for it.
Amsoil is excellent and I ran Red line in the last 3 cats I owned. No Issues for 10k miles on 3 sleds.:face-icon-small-coo

R
Switch with the oil. Use a better oil, thinner for build up. I got tired cleaning the power valves on my 900 5-6 times a winter. Last week, drained the tank and started using Amsoil in the 900 and my zrt 600. The motor definitely runs smoother and is crisper!!
Just a thought...

Premium Features