• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wide Running Board Kits for 900s...anyone interested???

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
A friend of mine approached me about making some Wide running boards for his RMK 900. And i offered to help him get the word out there and see if it was something he would be able to make and sell some sets of them to my buddies on snowest..

Its all in the planning and design stages at this point, but i wanted to get the word out soon, so get an idea if anyone was interested in getting a set this summer for the sleds now that sledding has come to an end :(

Essentially, they would be similar to the SKINZ Airframe boards, but would incorporate the coolant down the running boards (like the VE tunnel boards).

If there is a market for WIDE boards from the console to the rear cooler AND a kit that TAPERS in like the stock running boards, that could be an option if there is a market for them.

144/151 tunnels would be different lengths then 159/166 boards as the rear cooler is set back, so it would take some time to get them setup for each model...

He has asked for a price of $350/set at most....but depending on market and setup, it may vary...but that is the best price for now.

if you are interested, please PM me, or reply to this post and if we can get say 5 guys interested, he can start getting some mock ups and update the build progress of them so you would be able to see them..

They will have built in traction down the outter edge, and screws on the cross bars like below...

Attached is the SKINZ boards...would be SIMILAR, but NOT exact...
runningboards.jpg

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Wonder is running coolant through the entire board would work. It would keep the boards snow free and provide extra cooling. Any thoughts?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Wonder is running coolant through the entire board would work. It would keep the boards snow free and provide extra cooling. Any thoughts?

its a good thought, but dont think it would be effectively pumped...the cooling is hard to get down regardless of the amount of flow and surface area...

even my VE tunnel using the Double Pass U-cooler can get hot if i am not using scratchers...with scratchers and deep snow i run 125 on average...and so will a stock cooler, board setup....its all about scratchers IMO...not amount of flow/surface area being cooled...its almost a wash...

the wide board setup is mainly for stability, more comfortable stance, and better footing for those of us that have larger boots...

Wide boards IMO are AMAZING.... ;)

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I was thinking mostly for the melting of snow off the boards effect. Probably would not pump throughout the whole board unless some very crazy welding was done to make it flow through all areas.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Sean,

After being involved in many different projects for the sleds... and knowing how fickle fellow sledders can be... IMO...

These will be a build-it-and-see kind of thing...

Take some orders for the first run... say 4 units... PrePay or 50% deposit and then get them on the sleds... they will sell themselves once built... But be ready for people who want to order it last minute and complain that they have to wait a month when placing the order in November.... just the way it goes.

Good luck with this... it will be a great addition to the 900's!!

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I could not have said that any better myself Eric...that is MY exact thinking....unfortunately I am Just the middle man...so I can only advise and see what happens. Wish I had a tig welder and skills so I could help out. Lol.

This is truely an awesome idea and think its a good market. But the economy/funds/time and earlyseason are huge problems rightmost...and so is time.

Ill be contacting some people by pm about them to get the ball rolling..I've just been very busy lately...

Post up if anyone is interested so we can proceed...

Last edited:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
That is kind of where I am on them. I want to see the finished product, so he needs to get the first set built. Once he has a set made so we can look at them I think they will sell themselves too.

dingalingman1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2010
Western Nebraska
I would be very interested in the boards. Was wandering how they will mount and if the tunnel Integrity will still be intact ( I am a pig). They look functional and are just bad *** looking. I agree that a wide board will be great, I wear a size 14 and it is hard to stay on the factory boards. What a great upgrade.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I would be very interested in the boards. Was wandering how they will mount and if the tunnel Integrity will still be intact ( I am a pig). They look functional and are just bad *** looking. I agree that a wide board will be great, I wear a size 14 and it is hard to stay on the factory boards. What a great upgrade.

Hey Sir...

appreciate your interest, i will keep you posted if anything happens on these and any updates/progress thats gets done as well.

as for your concerns, i am also a "MAN"..i am 240 right now w/o gear..or clothes..lol..so usually this is always my first concern as well.

my ultimate goal would be to get these mounted on my personal sled to feel the rigidity/strength to give them my blessing...but not sure if that would be possible or not as the builder is not local or even close to me...however he does have a 900 himself to do the work with/on.

i also wear size 14 boots, like most of us "MEN" do...so this is something i am truely excited about, and think would really help those guys out that arent blessed with a VE tunnel like my other 900....which IMO truely shines for large boots...

appreciate it again sir, and will keep you posted on the progress!!!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
The other option being they would be IQ specific not just 900. Opens up the market a little more once the word gets out.!?

that would be a great deal for my buddy to get some stuff out there and make some money, but it would be very touchy IMO.

for one, it would be bvery hard for him to get kits for newer IQs cause he doesnt have access to the different sleds, long and short track setups...

plus it would kinda be touchy making them and having Skinz producing them as well, granted they are not identical (like Better boards vs Snow Eliminators) but i know Tammy at SKINZ very well, and i cant step on their toes with this....even though i am just getting the word out, not making them myself...

but if he can get these out there, i envy his wallet, lol.

not much interest so far, but i imagine its because the season, and ACTUAL pics of the products, lol.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
does he know that a 166/159 running board is different than a 151/144 running board?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I think the biggest problem is just the fact that many of the 900 owners are on summer break and not checking in... this forum has all but ground to a screeching halt the last 5 weeks since it's been getting warm.

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
guido,

I'm interested, although i dont wear mondo boots like some of you, i'm not happy with the boards on my sled currently

only sticking point right now for me is, you'd have to put them on, and adjust my oil pump (compensated of course), and if ya promise not to crash my sled you can ride it a bit

I'd like to get alot of goodies put on my sled while im away, and therefor cant ride it anyway....LOL

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
guido,

I'm interested, although i dont wear mondo boots like some of you, i'm not happy with the boards on my sled currently

only sticking point right now for me is, you'd have to put them on, and adjust my oil pump (compensated of course), and if ya promise not to crash my sled you can ride it a bit

I'd like to get alot of goodies put on my sled while im away, and therefor cant ride it anyway....LOL

haha, yeh man for sure...i will put you on the list for the boards and keep you updated on any progress..

i will help with anything on your sled you need man, im not far away so i could ride my zx9r there and bust it out and do what you need..

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
guido,

I don't think he can make that promise, it's part of the Guido adjustment proceedure..:face-icon-small-win

C

cwrolson

Jan 27, 2010
Williston, ND/Billings, MT
Magical

Hey Sean,
Have I mentioned lately that I'm a magician and these things are gonna be plenty strong even for your slightly unslim/medium husky MANLINESS? Zane wants me to build his out of kevlar coated titanium because when he wrecks he wants it to rip his tunnel off instead of just the board!lol Take care bud, and thanks for the plug!

C

cwrolson

Jan 27, 2010
Williston, ND/Billings, MT
Get the ball rollin

My brother is testing the tig that I'm considering buying tonight. If it checks out I'm going to purchase it and hopefully he will bring the tig and bender to me out on this lease so I have something to do, haha. I have a huge generator out here and he may just bring the stuff to me. I'll keep you posted and go from there Sean

Premium Features