• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switchback morph

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I did alot of searching and reading in here and on the 900 Club, and I think I finally have my order list nailed down. I just want to see if anyone can spot something I messed up on before I punch in the mastercard #'s for my parts order.
06 Switchback converting to mountain sled
3000 - 8000' typical elev.

151 x 2.4 series IV track
rail extensions from 144 - 151
(track, and extensions already on the way)

-19/42 gearing with 76P chain
-Pol black/green primary spring
-10-74 weights
-Team 420409 64-40ER.46 / 64-44ER .46 helix
-Team red/pink secondary SPRING 140-260
-delrin washer pack

I will likely get primary weights from 10-72 up to 10-76 so I can fine tune.
Opinions? did I get it all right? Thanks in advance.
Dan from Alberta
Long live the 900CFI

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. It was my understanding that with the low gearing I am going with... that I would have to load down the motor with a slightly heavier weight. Is gearing and clutching not so closely tied together then?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
the factory recommends loading the motor heavily but IMO I never thought that was the way to go. let the motor rev up and use the primary spring to get your rpm right on.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the factory recommends loading the motor heavily but IMO I never thought that was the way to go. let the motor rev up and use the primary spring to get your rpm right on.

DITTO!!

other then the weight issue, you seem to know what your after..

do you have mods on your sled now..cause that list should be HUGE!!! :D:beer;

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
For now the motor is stock with a can. I do have a Fire N Ice airbox with all the extra intake venting, radiator is gone, and motor mounts are upgraded. I plan on getting the slp single and re-flash, but it wont be until mid-season when I can swing the $$$. At that point I'll clutch as needed.
So for now I'm supposed to be aiming for the almighty 7400rpm, correct? And if I understand your advice... I should be adjusting with primary springs to achieve it? I want to make sure its going to pull at the right rpm's considering the drastic track upgrade and the low gearing.

To be honest I am not very experienced in clutching sleds. My list of clutch parts are based on my research in here, and on what guys like you are recommending... especially the 19/42 gearing, the helix, and secondary spring.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming

I would use the heavier weights on the 900...the cranks are just to fragile...its better to be under rev than over...the 900 is not a fast reving, high spooling, motor, its a grunter, tractor, bulldozer type...which is awesome IMO. Indydan told me this when I was at his shop..FYI makes sense to me...

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
im running 74-10 and have checked max rpm a few times and its still kind of high, im going to try 76-10s and im in the same elevation.

oh wait mines on a 700 cfi 2008 modle

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
RPM's for 06 900

For now the motor is stock with a can. I do have a Fire N Ice airbox with all the extra intake venting, radiator is gone, and motor mounts are upgraded. I plan on getting the slp single and re-flash, but it wont be until mid-season when I can swing the $$$. At that point I'll clutch as needed.
So for now I'm supposed to be aiming for the almighty 7400rpm, correct? And if I understand your advice... I should be adjusting with primary springs to achieve it? I want to make sure its going to pull at the right rpm's considering the drastic track upgrade and the low gearing.

To be honest I am not very experienced in clutching sleds. My list of clutch parts are based on my research in here, and on what guys like you are recommending... especially the 19/42 gearing, the helix, and secondary spring.

You should get peak power at 7650 RPM's on the 06 900 and with an SLP pipe 7850 RPM's.

I would over rev at 5000' with 10-72's but if your above that climbing you should run them. I'm running 10-74 and hit 7650 with SLP blue/pink primary spring.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Excellent, thanks guys I appreciate all the replies, helps alot with my planning. My stock Switchback setup weights are already 10-74 so maybe I'll get a set of 72's with my order and sounds like I should have it worked out!
It's good to get the real world results from you guys, this 900 section is quite a valuable tool!
Cheers :beer;:)

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
UPS delivered my track and rail extensions a few days ago! I haven't started on the track swap yet, been working lots. I'll have a week of work to do when it all gets here.
There is now enough snow to hit some of our regular riding areas, and 2 of my friends just went for their first ride of the year last weekend... it almost drove me insane, so I immediately payed off my mastercard again so I could get the rest of the "necessities" ordered up. I can't wait to get my 9 in the deep.
Good thing I'm getting some overtime shifts lately, my shopping cart at Carl's online was growing by the day:beer;:) Lots of pics to come. Should receive everything in a week & 1/2

track.jpg

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Made a little progress over the last week.
gripper's on
rail extensions are in
new track is hanging in the chassis
skid is still out waiting for new springs
chain case is apart still waiting for chain and sprockets
trying to figure out if I will have to extend my handlebar wiring for 8" of riser

The track swap was very easy, sounded like some guys had problems with the shaft clearance but it was a quick job.. didn't remove chain case, or even have to loosen bolts on it.
My next order will hopefully come in a week and I can get it all together and ready for a trip to BC. There was an issue getting tall pivot risers, seems most brands were on back order, so I ended up with an RSI set, very nice looking.

Somewhere between Carls and me:
-225# front track shock spring
-375# torsion springs
-SPG lightweight float plate
-pivot adapter, 6" pivot risers, ext'd hose and cable
-19/42 sprockets and chain
-secondary spring, helix, and delrin washers
-primary springs, and weights
1125091248.jpg

1125091252.jpg

1125091246a.jpg

1125091247.jpg

P

paulw22

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Looks awesome, I have your sleds little brother, the 600 with SLP goodies. I put on a 6 inch riser with no extensions, I think any more you may need extensions for wireing and throttle. I didn't see much need for the 225lb front spring as the front shock has lots of adjustablity in it. Have fun in BC

Paul

sled.jpg pic5.jpg

Last edited:
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the compliments guys
I'm going to have to trim down my ski saddles to fit properly, have any of you 05/06 rmk guys who went with gripper skis run into this?
When I put the skis on a few days ago the weight of the sled was on them, but now that I have the suspension taken apart I can see that they have alot of tension from the saddles being too thick. The ski would have a hard time pivoting on the bolt from its neutral position.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Still waiting on UPS to bring me my goodies. I got bored today so I hacked up the left console cover and vented it. I like how it turned out, I'm just trying to figure out how to do the other side.

consolevent.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
that looks pretty good..but i would invest in some BLACK rivots...thats all i use!

you can do similar to the right side door, and still use the key..its a nice place to store extra gloves or spark plugs...

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Mine has lots of brushed alum vents on it so i don't mind the silver rivets. I lost my glove box key long ago haha, I depend on meeting up with other Polaris guys to get in there :rolleyes:

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
UPS showed up with my big order this morning, tonight I start building, and hopefully I can have it together and be able to go for a short test ride before I go back to work on Sunday :beer;:)

Premium Features