• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Explorer kit owners beware!

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
Hey browsing you site, I found this pic.

http://www.2moto.com/Documents and Settings/1/Site Documents/Proto1MaidenVoyageCropped.jpg

I like the looks of the first Proto, looks like you really thought of the approach angle in the earlier protos. Why was it scrapped?? Weight?

Good question. With 2 suspension motions in our current rear suspension design, the front of the track can move up or down 10.5 inches, and the rear can move up to 15 inches. This turns the entire track into an "approach angle". The angle is continually changing based on our engineered leverage ratios, and the available traction. We found it worked better without the nose cone. It still had to be tried, though.

Weight is a big factor influencing performance, and loading the suspension components. We are constantly looking for ways to add strength, and remove more weight.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
I would still like to see something under the bike that would initiate the motion of the front of the track before the impending object hits the track. In certain cases it seems like you may be stopped dead if you hit something in the snow that is standing vertical. A perceived problem of both conversion kits, a real life concern maybe not.

I would like to try one

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
I would still like to see something under the bike that would initiate the motion of the front of the track before the impending object hits the track. In certain cases it seems like you may be stopped dead if you hit something in the snow that is standing vertical. A perceived problem of both conversion kits, a real life concern maybe not.

I would like to try one

You are correct in your perception. Wish I could share more inside info on the topic...
Our smaller shock controls the damping at the front of the track. Clicking it to "Hard" allows the front of the track to compress, and not rebound; effectively holding the angle of attack at it's steepest, and overriding the automatic traction adjustments. Works great for light powder and hillclimbing. Not the perfect solution to your question, but it really works well changing the weight transfer/ski pressure. Could help you cross a small log, too.

N
Dec 15, 2008
I love old development pics!! Is that your mugshot, Brett?

Anyone else bend their ski mount??

yes me last weekend, i dropped a very small cornice a few times, then i noticed that it was bent. my only concern is that I've bent the caliper mount :mad:
I've contacted AD boivin but I've had nothing back yet (very disappointing) if i don't hear anything from AD boivin then I'm going to get a solid alloy block about 1/2"-5/8" and drill and tap one end out for the caliper and the other end for the mounting plate.

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I have hit rocks under the snow so hard that it moved my fork tubes in the triple clamps. (and yes they were torked correctly) Also I have landed from cornice jumping so hard that it tacoed my front ski and bent the carbide runners. (Spring snow was rotten in spots) No damage to my fork tubes or brake brake mounts. Bent the runners back to normal and soaked the ski in HOT water. All fine and running good.

2 2moto kits on KTMs running all of last year and this year. No more work then regular dirtbike maintenance. They are run hard.... Not trailer queens.

Dec 4, 2007
pa
neilm... who did you contact at adboivin? who did you buy the kit from? and have you seen bernie's post about if you have problems please feel free to contact him or contact me,,, i am always on here and always will help anyone. there is an update for your part, all you have to do is call me.

poacher? where u getting that adboivin dont support people? do u call the other oem's or your dealer? i have put all year into this project and will help anyone!

thanks

mike

M
Jan 22, 2008
1800ridesno

If explorer owners are having trouble getting a hold of BOivin, it is because they are extremely busy, I have had to leave 5 messages in the last week by phone and also emails, finally got a hold of them today to order hawk parts, gave Mike a call. He has alot of pull with Ad boivin and is a guy that will stand by the product. THe caliper mount braking off jumps is going to happen until we add a nother mount over to the right fork. I am working on a set up at my buddies machine shop right now for my Kx 500. THe aluminum drop back bracket will be triple material conections fromthe ski to forks. I will go launch it this next week until it breaks or I break. If my mount works I would love to help Mike and or anyone strengthen theres. The explorer kit is going to rock just like the 2 moto, just needs to get the bugs worked out, took me two years to get all the bugs worked out of my 800 hawk, thing is insane now!!!

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
If explorer owners are having trouble getting a hold of BOivin, it is because they are extremely busy, I have had to leave 5 messages in the last week by phone and also emails, finally got a hold of them today to order hawk parts, gave Mike a call. He has alot of pull with Ad boivin and is a guy that will stand by the product. THe caliper mount braking off jumps is going to happen until we add a nother mount over to the right fork. I am working on a set up at my buddies machine shop right now for my Kx 500. THe aluminum drop back bracket will be triple material conections fromthe ski to forks. I will go launch it this next week until it breaks or I break. If my mount works I would love to help Mike and or anyone strengthen theres. The explorer kit is going to rock just like the 2 moto, just needs to get the bugs worked out, took me two years to get all the bugs worked out of my 800 hawk, thing is insane now!!!

By the time you go through all of that why not just buy one that the R&D is already done.

After you finish with the front you will have to start on the lack of rear suspension and inability to sidehill.

I like the fact that the explorer is helping to promote one ski riding. However it seems like its a long way from being ready for prime time.

A
Mar 4, 2008
By the time you go through all of that why not just buy one that the R&D is already done.

After you finish with the front you will have to start on the lack of rear suspension and inability to sidehill.

I like the fact that the explorer is helping to promote one ski riding. However it seems like its a long way from being ready for prime time.

Inability to side hill?? I will side hill circles around you. The rear suspension travel in the farthest foward position isn't the greatest, but it still works plenty good in the deep. I'm personally sick of hearing how the 2 moto's deal is better, Personally I don't care if it is, or is not. You'r not helping the sport by saying crap like this. The explorer kit works great, I have pounded it and its not broken. Have you even tried one? Its funny none of the explorer guys are bashing 2 moto. Maybe because were having to much fun riding.

Dec 4, 2007
pa
Inability to side hill?? I will side hill circles around you. The rear suspension travel in the farthest foward position isn't the greatest, but it still works plenty good in the deep. I'm personally sick of hearing how the 2 moto's deal is better, Personally I don't care if it is, or is not. You'r not helping the sport by saying crap like this. The explorer kit works great, I have pounded it and its not broken. Have you even tried one? Its funny none of the explorer guys are bashing 2 moto. Maybe because were having to much fun riding.

your right jeff.... its all cool,,sounds like people are worried...lol... we have a great product, people who have tried it love it,,, and all i have to say,,, why is the ONE SKI GOD...Cailin, getting an explorer for his own bike? who can dispute that? much will be learned at hawkfest! i hope 2moto has some good riders show up, so we can all just have fun and brag in person by skills riding NOT TYPING!!!!

cant wait! see you there!
mike

A
Mar 4, 2008
maybe most of the 2 moto guys are motocrossers and the explorer guys and gals are gncc/woods racers/riders. 2 different breeds of human beings....

I raced Motocross pro for 5 years, did a bunch of top 20's. But I also like to play in the woods. Seems the older I get the more I like the woods.

Premium Features