• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KMOD k motion turn key skid on 850 G4 review

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
First ride on my k mod skid with the k motion yesterday. Wasn't blower powder but found some great untouched in tress. Bout 2 foot on top of a base. Soft enough to jump off everything I could find.

Let me start out by saying working with Kevin is a good experience in itself. He knows everything about his products and backs them. He will tell you why and "no don't do that" or "yes that works we tested it last week" my skid came 3-4 days after order and he didn't have a few parts in which they where 2nd day from manufacturer.

Riding the stock G4 850 is a blast. Great bottom end. We call it the mini big bore. How ever the t motion slop and constant beating you take is not fun. The steeper the terrain you get in the worse the t motion performs and almost sets you up for failure. I didn't want to lock the skid and leave it rigid like a cat or Polaris. Skidoo is designed around a pivot skid, thier tracks geometry etc. after talking w Kevin the k motion is 4 degrees side to side. A big difference over the 12 plus that can be found on t motion. You get ice age rails, and all the other components to assemble and instal the skid, you provide the tools. Every thing was spot on labeled and clear directions.

Now to the riding. First let me say I wish the ride in handnt been groomed lol. The skid just eats everything. In normal situations where you would time your throttle to match w the bumps on trail now you can just plow through them. Doesn't make a difference. I ran wide open through most stuff you need to pick your way through once we got in the beat up non groomed. After getting off trail I noticed that normal hill sides that I would normally be on one side of the sled I could easily lean and just ride straddling the seat. The flick ability became magnified. (Understand I ride a axys most all the time w full shock set up) I got into the trees and found every log, bank rock and cliff to pop off of. Cutting side hills the sled was so predictable, and any time I chose to turn down and head up again or zero turn I could do it while on the seat. One of the biggest things we all noticed is the places I could go w the stock sled vs before. Time and time again I kept hearing from the guys " wow that thing just pops up on the snow !" It really did. I ran the coupler at stage 1 which is 20% and it's still play full. But when you think your about to be stuck that throttle pop puts you right back on top of the snow. Don't think I'll run another sled with out a full k mod skid. What a game changer!

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
nice report. I had planed on doing this, but I already feel that way about the stock set up. well not when riding a whooped out trail in and out. just got my rail braces but haven't done any jumping yet so not sure but im leaning towards shocks only because this sled gets up on top of the snow, carves, and side hills better than anything I have ever ridden.
don't want to risk anything getting worse

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
nice report. I had planed on doing this, but I already feel that way about the stock set up. well not when riding a whooped out trail in and out. just got my rail braces but haven't done any jumping yet so not sure but im leaning towards shocks only because this sled gets up on top of the snow, carves, and side hills better than anything I have ever ridden. no swaybar

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
nice report. I had planed on doing this, but I already feel that way about the stock set up. well not when riding a whooped out trail in and out. just got my rail braces but haven't done any jumping yet so not sure but im leaning towards shocks only because this sled gets up on top of the snow, carves, and side hills better than anything I have ever ridden. no swaybar

The G4 kills the xm, I think it's 3 times better. Adding the k mod is like going from XP to a G4 honestly I don't care about trails, but being able to take it beyond its stock capabilities in the steeper and deeper stuff is what got me. The k mod really shines in that area over all else.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
What's the difference between the Kmod and Raptor ACE? I have the ACE on my 850 and love it! I run it with the T-motion locked out. It's nice on steep nasty stuff. I absolutely love the Raptor shocks. I've ran other types and the Raptors are by far the best I've used. The range of settings and ease of adjustment is awesome! From what I can see the main difference on the Kmod is the coupling setting for the skid. Is that true? It looks like a very impressive skid. Thanks for the info!

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
What's the difference between the Kmod and Raptor ACE? I have the ACE on my 850 and love it! I run it with the T-motion locked out. It's nice on steep nasty stuff. I absolutely love the Raptor shocks. I've ran other types and the Raptors are by far the best I've used. The range of settings and ease of adjustment is awesome! From what I can see the main difference on the Kmod is the coupling setting for the skid. Is that true? It looks like a very impressive skid. Thanks for the info!

Yes the difference is kmod is a coupled skid. The ace isn't bad or Zbroz coil conversion, adjusts preload better stiffens rear end. K mod is coupled and completely different geometry in full. Kevin has put in extensive testing and time on k mod products. He develops his skid with the optimal geometry, longevity, simplicity, and quality in mind. Tmotion is a 3 out of 10 ace or coil 7 out of 10 kmod skid 10 out of 10
That's how I view them

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Kmod doesn't pay to advertise nor do they need to. Any one who has used or demoed the products knows this. I am a k mod dealer but still had to pay for my set up too. No one has done a 850 report on k mod yet so there ya have it. Enjoy!

Makes sense now. Vested interest as a dealer. I'm sure its a sweet set up. The pitch was a little much to come from average joe. Either way, I would love to compare any and all to a stock set up.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I had a Kmod on my 09M8 and loved it. The Kmod is now sitting on my work bench and I'm in the process of refitting it to install in my 154 G4. The Kmod is a very good skid and does everything better than a stock skid could hope for.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The stock setup wouldn't even come close. And I don't sell anything... everything NW has said about the KMod has been right on in my experience. I'm on my 3rd one.

Wether or not he stands to make a buck, the information is dead on accurate. And a great review with good comparisons. It doesn't matter if you are on a Cat, a Polaris, or a Doo; the KMod has similar results with all of them. I ride with all of those, both turbo'd, big bored, and stock... and the KMod not only gets up on the snow easier and faster, it stays there through all kinds of bumps, old frozen tracks and inclines. And on top of all that, it flys down whooped out trails at the end of the day like a dream. It's also nice to be able to adjust how much ski lift when running higher horsepower and more track speed than stock where wheelying can be a major problem. Raptors and a KMod skid are just plain tough to beat.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
The stock setup wouldn't even come close. And I don't sell anything... everything NW has said about the KMod has been right on in my experience. I'm on my 3rd one.

Wether or not he stands to make a buck, the information is dead on accurate. And a great review with good comparisons. It doesn't matter if you are on a Cat, a Polaris, or a Doo; the KMod has similar results with all of them. I ride with all of those, both turbo'd, big bored, and stock... and the KMod not only gets up on the snow easier and faster, it stays there through all kinds of bumps, old frozen tracks and inclines. And on top of all that, it flys down whooped out trails at the end of the day like a dream. It's also nice to be able to adjust how much ski lift when running higher horsepower and more track speed than stock where wheelying can be a major problem. Raptors and a KMod skid are just plain tough to beat.

Well said, wouldnt run something on my sled that's garbage any ways. Don't think any one would for that matter. I will say I will have this on all my sleds here on out though

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Are you anti air shock? I've ridden the K-mod on the T3 and it's better than stock but not the most desirable skid I've ridden...

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
After coming off 2 different custom RCS set ups I went to Fox Air shocks and Tom's skid. I now run the Gen 3 Emotion on both my Gen 4's. I have yet to ever have an air shock fail on me. I don't even adjust pressure every ride. I think I checked mine 1 every 10 rides last year. I haven't tried a Kmod on the G 4 but if it's similar to the T3 I think the Tom's has it beat especially for the price point. For $2,500 you can do the whole sled all the way around. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try the Kmod.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
After coming off 2 different custom RCS set ups I went to Fox Air shocks and Tom's skid. I now run the Gen 3 Emotion on both my Gen 4's. I have yet to ever have an air shock fail on me. I don't even adjust pressure every ride. I think I checked mine 1 every 10 rides last year. I haven't tried a Kmod on the G 4 but if it's similar to the T3 I think the Tom's has it beat especially for the price point. For $2,500 you can do the whole sled all the way around. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try the Kmod.

Will do a few demo days before seasons over, might have boost on it then too we'll see

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

I ran a Tom's kit with Evol R shocks last year on my 174. It is a great skid and rides really well. It doesn't get up on the snow like a KMod will however and will not control front end lift on a turbo sled like the KMod either. I let Tom talk me into Evols after swearing I would never do another set of air shocks a few years ago. Tom is GREAT to work with and did everything asked of him and then some, he even overnighted me a set of ski shocks with new valving in them after a known warranty issue with Fox so I wouldn't miss a day on the snow. I highly recommend Tom's Snowmobile and his emotion rear skid kit for anyone looking to upgrade the stock skid on a stock hp sled.

HOWEVER, if you are running any kind of power enhanced sled, ESPECIALLY on a shorter track sled, the KMod is superior in both getting up on the snow and staying there while also giving you the ability to control the ski lift when pulling steep inclines. Yes the KMod is more expensive, BUT, look at what you are getting for your $25-2600 dollars. High quality COILOVER shocks that are EASY to make adjustments to on the mountain and get them tuned to your liking... and once tuned they stay there no matter what elevation changes you make. In order for an air shock to do this you would need to fill them with nitrogen to keep the pressures consistent over a wide range of elevations. You also get Iceage rails, with a better approach angle and no tip up at the rear, anodized to keep snow off of them if you choose, and are far stronger than the stock rails. You get a far superior skid GEOMETRY, not an overworked, albeit much better riding, version of the stock skid. If you choose to do so you can also sell your complete stock skid (should bring 800-1000 or more on the open market for someone looking for an upgrade to tmotion) which brings your overall investment down to around $1600-$1800 for a complete KMod.

Again, I can't say enough great things about Tom and his emotion kit. It works great and he is excellent to deal with. But for someone looking for that ultimate in performance and ride, the KMod is just better all around. And I've owned and ridden them both for more than just a spin around the parking lot. This is just my opinion based on my OWN experience, sorry if it offends anyone.

Premium Features