• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 pro 800 tps??? Or??

D
Nov 15, 2015
Afton, WY
Got a 12 Polaris 800 pro RMK, bought it with 2500 miles on it, had a bike man fix kit it when I bought it. Last time I went riding it was hard to start. Had to squeeze thote to get it to fire. After that ran fine. Next day it wouldn't start till I grabbed throttle again then wouldn't idle very well. Would go from 1600 rpm down to 950-800, gauges die then sled die. After it warmed up a bit with me lightly touching throttle I went to hit reverse to back out of garage and it died. Restarted and tried reverse again. Died. Thought it was the throttle position sensor, got a "tester" and just went and tried it. .9 v at throttle closed and 4.2 at wide open. So could my throttle still need adjusted? Like the idle screw needs turned??

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Base tps with throttle valves closed ( throttle cable disconnected from thumb lever and idle screw backed out so it doesn't contact the linkage) base voltage should be .690-.710v. You move the tps to get this voltage if it's not correct. Then turn in the idle screw till voltage reads .930-.950v. Aim for right in the middle of voltage specs.

I would check voltage and reeds as well?

I
Nov 24, 2011
Buffalo,MN
I fought something similar for a long time, tps, vr, stator, harness,etc.
Found that had a bad capacitor, sits on top of the vr. Would run fine then wouldn't, gauges would flash on and off, low idle etc.
Something to try.
Mine was on a 12 also started the second year after I did an 860.

D
Nov 15, 2015
Afton, WY
I fought something similar for a long time, tps, vr, stator, harness,etc.
Found that had a bad capacitor, sits on top of the vr. Would run fine then wouldn't, gauges would flash on and off, low idle etc.
Something to try.
Mine was on a 12 also started the second year after I did an 860.

Any way to test capacitor?

D
Nov 15, 2015
Afton, WY
Tested it tonight with a voltmeter that goes to two decimal places and was at .95 idle. Adjusted it to .93-.94. Didn't have time to start it tonight. But while I have air box off I might pull throttle bodies and pull reeds out and look them over

D
Nov 15, 2015
Afton, WY
Pulled my reeds, they look good, lil dirty tho. Also pulled my exhaust valves they are good just very oily. Looked at Pistons threw exhaust valve port. They look good. No scars or scratches at all.

D
Nov 15, 2015
Afton, WY
Got everything adjusted, reeds cleaned and put back in. Fired it up and still idles around 900-1000 Rpm, so I adjusted idle up a lil and got 2600 rpm. Reverse button now does nothing. Went and rode it around a lil and after a few mins sled died at 4200 rpm and couldn't pull rope. Turned clutch over by hand a few times and then it started right up and back to 900-1000 idle. I'm at a loss.... about ready to blow the damn thing up! ???

D
Nov 15, 2015
Afton, WY
Ok compression test done. 75psi pto side, 50 psi mag side.... ?? there's like 400 miles on bikeman kit... talking to original owner to find out for sure but ya.... lil pissed off!

Premium Features