• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
if anyone tells you owning a diesel will be cheaper in the long run........they better be an over-the-road trucker. unless you are doing commercial business and putting on hundreds of thousands of miles, a diesel powered vehicle will never benefit your checkbook in the big picture.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
if anyone tells you owning a diesel will be cheaper in the long run........they better be an over-the-road trucker. unless you are doing commercial businesses and putting on hundreds of thousands of miles, a diesel powered vehicle will never benefit your checkbook in the big picture.
AGREED.
The numbers just don't pencil out.
And right now Diesel fuel is at a major LOW point.
In time it will likely jump back up well above Gas.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
it better not. the past 10 years was a freak deal. there is no reason diesel fuel should cost more than gas. it should be AT LEAST 33% cheaper. it costs much, much less to make diesel from a refinery point of view. the only similar costs gas and diesel have is the freight it takes to get it to your local pumps.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
it better not. the past 10 years was a freak deal. there is no reason diesel fuel should cost more than gas. it should be AT LEAST 33% cheaper. it costs much, much less to make diesel from a refinery point of view. the only similar costs gas and diesel have is the freight it takes to get it to your local pumps.
While I agree with the logic, the numbers just don't support the argument over the last 22 years...

Based on history, there is every reason to expect that Diesel WILL once again be more expensive than Gasoline.

picture.php

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
if anyone tells you owning a diesel will be cheaper in the long run........they better be an over-the-road trucker. unless you are doing commercial business and putting on hundreds of thousands of miles, a diesel powered vehicle will never benefit your checkbook in the big picture.

Really? I kept track of everything on my 04.5 Cummins including diesel going upside down compared to gas. Using a 99 Tundra as the baseline, after 100,000 miles and towing 30% of the time, I avoided $3000 in fuel costs compared to the 'yota. Maintenance; fuel filter once a year, 2 oil changes a year, insurance about the same as a gasser and resale about 30% higher without the silly mileage devaluation, I made out ok. Tires are spendy, there's no arguement there, but so are dubbly-d-dubs with 35's on a 150/1500. Just get an extended warranty and let the OEM eat the worn out parts as heavy pickups wear stuff out. YMMV

A diesel pickup is a tool. Use it as one and you get the benefit. Pose in it and it's an expensive daily driver.

As a side note, I see way more Dodges as hotshotters than any other make.

Last edited:
W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa

People always say this, and it is probably true. But that is only considering the supply side, and ignoring the demand side, for figuring price.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Super disappointed to see no Ecoboost option. Epic fail on Ford's part IMO.

Loved my F150 with the Ecoboost.

I would of bought a F250 or F350 with a Ecoboost in a heartbeat.

Never was impressed with the mileage but the power was great. Would blow the doors off any stock gas engine towing. V10s and 8.1s don't even stand a chance. Way more low end and mid range torque and very little down shifting.

Problem is the 1/2 ton suspension leaves something to be desired when towing or a heavy load in the box.

Went back to a Cummins 2500. Truck just feels way more planted while loaded. I would be fine with the Ecoboost in this truck for what I do though.

mountaincat68papa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls MT.
Got to agree with ya Glen, love my 2013 ecoboost f 150 impressive tow power but the truck itself doesn't handle heavy tow jobs like my f250 Powerstroke did. The 150 sure rides nice unloaded though.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
So when are we going to see the day when there is just a "light duty" and "heavy duty" pickup offered and due away with the f-150, f-250, etc. names? The names really don't correspond to 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton anymore anyway.

The light duty could be offered with a smaller engine option for gas mileage and something similar to the 3.5L ecoboost for more power.

The heavy duty would replace the f-250/350 and could offer a 5.0L ecoboost gasser and the powerstroke diesel. Have a dial on the dash with three positions for no load, 1/2 load, and full load. Airbag suspension on both ends with electronic adjustable shocks to switch between settings. Ride height sensors could even replace having to turn the switch on the dash. Would probably push it over that 100k mark in full luxury trim, but it would be sweet!

Maybe even use the same technology to combine f-350 dually, F-450, and F-550 into one truck.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Really? I kept track of everything on my 04.5 Cummins including diesel going upside down compared to gas. Using a 99 Tundra as the baseline, after 100,000 miles and towing 30% of the time, I avoided $3000 in fuel costs compared to the 'yota. Maintenance; fuel filter once a year, 2 oil changes a year, insurance about the same as a gasser and resale about 30% higher without the silly mileage devaluation, I made out ok. Tires are spendy, there's no arguement there, but so are dubbly-d-dubs with 35's on a 150/1500. Just get an extended warranty and let the OEM eat the worn out parts as heavy pickups wear stuff out. YMMV

A diesel pickup is a tool. Use it as one and you get the benefit. Pose in it and it's an expensive daily driver.

As a side note, I see way more Dodges as hotshotters than any other make.

I think the KEY HERE is the 30% TOWING!!!
That is where a Diesel SHINES big time!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Would probably push it over that 100k mark in full luxury trim, but it would be sweet!.

Well, the new 2016 F150 Limited tags out at a cool $65,385 MSRP fully loaded!

And the 2016 F250 Platinum Diesel is $69,876 fully loaded.

It ain't 100K, but man that is one PRICEY PICKUP truck.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Well, the new 2016 F150 Limited tags out at a cool $65,385 MSRP fully loaded!

And the 2016 F250 Platinum Diesel is $69,876 fully loaded.

It ain't 100K, but man that is one PRICEY PICKUP truck.

Agreed. I'd be in the f-450 market and that one decked out is already $76,500! I guess fancy air suspension might only be $10,000 more on top of that.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I have a raptor and am on the raptor forums all the time. Everyone is gaga for the next model raptor coming and it's sure to be a wild truck. However it seems those in the know says the 5.0 eb isn't happening. They think Ford is azzz deep in the 3.5 eb and it will produce all the power needed to make the raptor out perform the current 6.2. I sure hope they are wrong as I'd love a 5.0.
On the fuel tank size deal , yes a full tank cuts into the gvw rating but that is the most ridiculous excuse they can use for putting in such a tiny useless tank. It's all about who can brag the biggest number. The numbers are so huge now who actually cares if one truck can leagally tow 100 pounds more than the other ???? Give these thing a useful sized tank !!!! Everyone I know goes out and spends a pile of cash on a larger tank. I can't believe at least one company hasn't pulled their heads out of their butts and installed 180 litre tank. I garauntee that would sway more buyers than a 100 pound higher tow rating. Oh and the bed size thing limiting tank size doesn't fly. My raptor with. 5.5 ' bed comes with a 135 litre tank.

Premium Features