• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

950 Super Enduro Build X2 (or the XXL thread)

B
Feb 4, 2011
And so it begins......
6BA61B3E-C9CE-42A3-AF90-4B30C298E6B1-630-0000005B68FEAD07_zpsdb691151.jpg

And I talked my buddy into doing his also.

C
Jun 27, 2014
With big cc's with lots more power should be a wild ride. Watching these builds close. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

B
Feb 4, 2011
TheHaze- we saw a photo of your bike last winter and it definitely inspired me to give the big bike a try. Thanks for sharing the photos. Currently collecting parts and I'm having trouble deciding what bearings to use. What bearings did you use on your final track drive shaft?

B
Feb 4, 2011
Project halted. Found a Gixxer 750 instead. Figuring lower center of gravity, lower seat height, turbo options, etc.... Still going with the 16" x 174" track. This is going to be sick.....

B
Feb 4, 2011
That's pretty sweet considering he's only running a 121" x 12.5" track!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-p3XC4EbiZo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

B
Feb 4, 2011
I've been making modifications to my 520 and have had great success with moving the rider position back onto the tunnel.

It's worked so great that I've decided to pick up on my 950 project and do something similar.

I was concerned about the weight of the 950 at first but not so much now. I realized that once you take off the 8.5 gallon fuel tank, the bike feels like a different animal. So I'm putting the fuel on the tunnel.

The plan is to build it up with an old Polaris skid for testing. I'd like to get it onto the snow by mid March. If it works as I hope, I'll continue testing different mods through the end of the season and then do a real clean build over the summer. My current intentions are to use an EZ Ryde skid. My buddy has one on his Viper and I'm totally convinced that it will be just the ticket for a snowbike.

I cut a 174" track down to 13.5" wide. I went with that width so I can use regular sled skids with only minor modification to make them fit. So here's where I am now.

B
Feb 4, 2011

Well, I didn't get to test my beast before the snow melted. In the meantime, I've acquired a 950 Supermoto for the project. This way I keep my 950 Superenduro intact and dirt worthy.

Lot's of cool stuff in the works!

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
I am stoked to see these big bike builds!!!! I'm planning on putting a camso on a FZ1 for next winter. I think everyone would be surprised at the amount of weight you can drop off of a street/big DP bike. Please keep the post goin. Interested in front end/fork setup and overall weight transfer with something like this.

B
Feb 4, 2011
I'm glad someone finds this interesting. This sport is quite young still and there's lot's of innovation to come.

I built a prototype using a Gixxer 750 but I never finished it. It needed A LOT of work. I wouldn't rule out a sport bike engine though.

I found the KTM 950 to be much easier to modify into a snowbike. The V twin LC8 engine keeps the machine narrow. The KTM 520/525 RFS engines weight around 77 lbs producing about 45hp. The 950 LC8 comes in at 127 with about 95hp. (An R1 weighs about 175 but offers probably about 50hp more than the 950) The thing I have come to like is the low end torque of the big dirt bikes, especially for slow technical maneuvering. This is another reason I think the 950 will be a good choice for me. I really like the air box configuration which encases the carbs. Seems like just the ticket for use in the snow.

The KTM main frame is well suited to mate to a tunnel. Since I'm not concerned about switching this machine back and forth between a motorcycle and a snowbike, this opened up all kinds of options for connecting the tunnel to the frame. I was basically able to eliminate any tunnel sub-frame like most of the commercial kits use.

I ended up finding a "new" Timbersled snowmobile skid on Ebay. I wanted to try an EZ Ryde but the Timbersled was CHEAP and it's tried and true on the snowbikes.

I mounted some temporary pegs to stand on and my machine is mobile now. I'm quite pleased with how it feels so far. Lots of little details to fabricate still.

B
Feb 4, 2011
I trimmed some excess material from the side panels and enclosed the tunnel today. 3/16" aluminum for the side panels. I think I could have gone with 1/8" but better safe than sorry. The top is .060"

I'm using 1 1/4" bearings on the drive shaft. 1 1/4" shaft is perhaps overkill also but I thought the larger bearing might last a little longer. I cut some slots in the side panel so the drive shaft can be easily removed for maintenance.

I have Wahl Bros No-Slip 8 tooth drivers. Their diameter is 7 1/2". 8" rear idler wheels.

B
Feb 4, 2011
The whole design of my tunnel configuration centers around this jackshaft which is directly driven off the engine countershaft with two sprockets and a double chain.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Have you looked at the honda Africa twin?
Shorter overall Engine.
Also dct is available.
Imagine not having to upshift or downshift...... :)
But you can when you want to!
With handlebar mounted buttons...........

Seems that would be sweet with the rear mounted pegs.

Premium Features