• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

youtube video on snowmobileing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLoflQKQE4

to: Jackie Matthews,

retort to reason#1. yeah the park is for every one, not just the non snowmobilers.

reason#2 well the guide should be fired because they should have one person in front and one behind to make sure stuff like that doesent happen. a little more thought should have been put into the guiding system.

reason#3 well if no one buys or rides snowmobiles how will the companies afford to do R&D on cleaner exhaust systems?

reason#4 just because you dont own a company that has any thing possible to do with winter doesn't mean you have to screw every thing up for every one else who is paying their employee's and feeding their children and family with money derived from snowmobiling.

Y
Jan 4, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
what the shizz bomb does slipknot have to do with sledding?? Don't get me wrong, everyone needs a little hate music every now and then....I watched the whole video hoping to see some kick *** sled clip........bummer:cool:

M
Nov 26, 2007
So the accident she brought up (bad deal) but that is nonissuie to bring up on her part. She just brings it up becasue it was something bad, and it happened on a snowmobile.

So she walks out of her house slips on the ice, will she ban ice?

Does she drive a car/ride a bike/SKI, cuz I am pretty sure you can get into an accident with any of those things.......

Sounds to me she doesn't want PEOPLE in genreal there,,,,,,,maybe she should find a more desalite(sp) area to live.....

B
Sep 24, 2008
Western Slope. Colorado
She's dumb...

How can a handful of sleds put out enough "pollution" to even come close to the hundreds of thousands of cars, trucks, RV's that go through there every year.. Grew up in Wyo, been through the park at least 30 times.. It's always jam packed.

Never been there on a sled though.. Not sure how many there could be..

If she wants to preach about this crap she needs to hit old faithful in July.

just my $.02 :beer;

C
Oct 24, 2008
brighton, colorado
Those people are nuts. The hotel owner is right keep the sleds and people keep coming back.
My Parents came from western N.Y. over Christmas and new years. I took my father snowmobiling yesterday 1/4/09 in Vail. My sister who lives here also took him and my mom to Keystone for a day and they went for a ride on a snowcat tour up the mountain. Yesterday evening we were watching tv back at the house and he said thank you for setting up that day trip. I asked him if it was better then the snowcat ride all he did was LOL. My dad hasn't been on a snowmobile in about 30 years.
The sun rise at 11,000 ft is one of the best sites ever.
Those tree huggers and cry babys have no idea what they would without us when one of those skiers are skis up on an avy. I'm not bashing just saying that we can get there alot faster then someone on a set of skies.

Everyone (All of us) needs to get along and share the land under snow no matter where we play. Just like we tell our kids to share their toys we need to share the land and our adult toys.

sorry just my .02

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
here is my take on this....I can understand about polution,abuse, damages and even safety..but if yellowstone..or any national park is to be closed to sleds..it should be closed to all motorized traffic period.....think about it...how much pollutants are actually made inside park boundaries vrs float in on the air stream from outside parks?if the enviromentalist really want to "save it" then by all rights all mechanical traffic should cease for a certain perimeter around the park..thus no living, driving, generators,saws or any kind of mechanical useage...I think it might be time for all motorized users to ban togeather and change tactics...our new slogan....yes we agree lets stop all mechanized travel period for a 200 mile perimeter around all parks...no exceptions..period..you want to come to the park..you walk, ski, snow shoe...

here is my take on this....I can understand about polution,abuse, damages and even safety..but if yellowstone..or any national park is to be closed to sleds..it should be closed to all motorized traffic period.....think about it...how much pollutants are actually made inside park boundaries vrs float in on the air stream from outside parks?if the enviromentalist really want to "save it" then by all rights all mechanical traffic should cease for a certain perimeter around the park..thus no living, driving, generators,saws or any kind of mechanical useage...I think it might be time for all motorized users to ban togeather and change tactics...our new slogan....yes we agree lets stop all mechanized travel period for a 200 mile perimeter around all parks...no exceptions..period..you want to come to the park..you walk, ski, snow shoe...

hence the 1492 act, there trying to restore wetlands around where i used to live back to what they were in 1492 before we " destroyed " them... in my POV there trying to make us all amish ( no offence to any amish, i know quite a few and there awesome people)

Thats funny that you posted that slipnot video by mistake.. The words say "Only one of us walks away" I thought you posted that to shove up the arses of the people complaining about our access... Made perfect sence to me.. lol.

lol yeah i love that song. i get into fights and thats the first line that runs through my head and then " here we go" i lost one today but hey ya win some ya loose some

A

All4traction

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
Good post. I've actually met and talked to Mike Yochim when I came all the way from Alberta down to Yellowstone for a college field trip. He seems to hold a neutral opinion on the whole matter.

Its obvious that everyone's opinion on the controversy is for their own gain. Ive never ridden in Yellowstone, and probably will never, so im not really biased either way.

I think its unfair to ban snowmobiles and still allow motor vehicle access in the other months. The real issue with 2-stroke sleds started when there was thousands of sledders going through Yellowstone every day and the two stroke smoke became a huge cloud that overwhelmed most people.

I think that issue is in the past now that most sleds are very efficient. The park found a good way so far on how to keep environmentalists and sledders both somewhat content. They both have to make some compromises. I think it will be way too tough for the park to ban sleds all together. Once a recreational activity is allowed in a park, its almost impossible for it to eventually be banned.

been there, done that

i actually took the tour last season. rented a turd of a two up,my cousin,his wife,my girlfriend, and i. it was enjoyable on a sled. we stopped every time we saw wildlife or points of interest, the guide was knowledgable of the area and had many good stories, even told us of some good areas to ride outside of the park as we had brought our own sleds. i'm not sure about the unfortunate accident with the couple and the tree as the sleds were governed at 35 m.p.h. as far as the pollution , i couldn't tell, all i could smell was the sulfur egg smell that comes out of the ground. and this i know, it smelled better than being inside a big box on tracks with a bunch of other people, all trying to see out of a fogged up side window. i'm not sure who it was, but i'm sure more than one had bad gas making it a pleasure to finally stop so you could get outside and whiff up some good smelling egg sulfur at the dragons mouth pit. most of the people who were on the tour seemed to be inexperienced sledders as they rented helmets and all the gear. i was glad to see it in the winter as i didn't have to be all trafficked up. we would see other groups but nothing like summer rv traffic.if they truly want to cut the pollution factor they should limit the traffic in the summer and just take tour busses through.hike in or drop off campers. why not make sense.:light:

S
Dec 21, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
:beer;I was there at new years last year and my gf and I did the 2 up tour... honestly it was a bit of a circus, I have some pictures of about 200+ sleds and 20+ snow coaches all parked in front of the main warm up hut... but it was also the busiest time of the year for the sled tours. Despite the madness, we had a great time, our guide was a super nice and knew alot about the wildlife and landscape, and we chatted quite a bit as the rest of our group were non-sledders (big group from atlanta LOL) and he seemed happy to talk to some fellow riders.

Just as everyone else has stated, it makes no sense at all to ban the 4 stroke sled tours when they allow that retarded diesel RV parade to go on from dawn til dusk for the entire summer season. I'll probably take some heat for this but I for one would not oppose a complete motorized ban in the entire park as long as this including all RV's and regular vehicles. Traffic jams don't belong in national parks. Don't get me wrong I can't stand wilderness and I don't agree with any of the recent land closures, but yellowstone is unique and the huge crowds definitely take away from the overall experience. But it should be all or nothing when it comes to motorized travel in the park.

On a side note, I spent 2 days riding the areas around West Yellowstone and Island park and even coming from BC that is some sweet riding!

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
If there going to limit sleds they need to limit vehicles year round.
I rode my Harley through this summer it has straight pipes I got compliments every time I stoped on how good it sounds.They should be realistick.I don't have a problem with limits,but if your going to limit in the winter limit year round. How bout some kind of exhaust sniffer when they are full at some kind of decided polution level then the line to enter stops till someone exits,masstransit should have some kind of buy seeing they are carrying more passingers but soo should guided trip since they are providing for the local econimy.Then you could even get as crazy as drawing permits.OK at some point we need to stop the comunisem.
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL!!!!!!!!!

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
Why Cant I post a coment on youtube?
I have to admit the snowmobile defender sounds like a chump using payrole to defend snowmobiles.As far as the lady listing the winter incident, lets hear the summer ones as well.How about the guy that towed a car behind his RV with a flat tire till it started fire and almost caused a mojor forest fire.I mean we are trying to protect the park right.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I took like 5 multiday trips, into the park, back before the 4 stroke ban was implemented. It was a lot more fun back then, no guide, go where ever you wanted, on the groomed roads. Stop whenever you wanted.

Now, there's only like 525 sleds allowed in the park, any one day. Then number of accidents has fallen, the number of killed critters has fallen. Basically, there's no real problem, except I don't need a guide to drive in a circle.

I read one report, there's more pollution put out by the RV generators, in one summer, than all the snowmobiles. Also, snowmobiles do not appear to stress the animals, possibly the opposite, since wolves don't approach the sledders. It provides a small sense of security to the animals. Also, the gas mask thing was staged by CNN. It was revealed that they provided the gas masks, for the story they were doing. The park service did later provide gas masks to employees at the gates. The problem stemmed from the fact that they used to make sleds stop at the gate, and wait to buy a pass, and get instructions. People would leave their sleds running. You know how bad it can get, when 100 cold 2 strokes are idling. And, for some reason, it took forever to buy a ticket. Well, that was the only real problem ever documented. The solution was easy, they just needed to pre-sale passes. But, for some reason, the park service was very, very, slow to implement this easy policy change.

I'll probably never go back in the winter, once you've ridden the park, without a parent, you'll never do it again with you mommy watching over you.

B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLoflQKQE4

to: Jackie Matthews,

retort to reason#1. yeah the park is for every one, not just the non snowmobilers.

reason#2 well the guide should be fired because they should have one person in front and one behind to make sure stuff like that doesent happen. a little more thought should have been put into the guiding system.

reason#3 well if no one buys or rides snowmobiles how will the companies afford to do R&D on cleaner exhaust systems?

reason#4 just because you dont own a company that has any thing possible to do with winter doesn't mean you have to screw every thing up for every one else who is paying their employee's and feeding their children and family with money derived from snowmobiling.
You know a person is a zealot when they're bent on banning snowmobiling, quadding, camping, and virtually any means of enjoying the outdoors in a National park. If they had their way, no humans wouldn't be allowed to set foot in parks.

Premium Features