• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New idea for film makers

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I've always watched clips/videos and wondered what speed/rpm/throttle position of people doing insane climbs and epic sidehills. I think it would be cool if they would mount one cam somewhere on the rider that looked down at the gauges(and if possible the throttle hand), then edit the two together.

It doesn't seem like it would be any more difficult, and I think a lot of people would really be interested in seeing just how fast someone is chugging along on those huge climbs(cuz lets be honest it is so hard to gauge how big something is, and how fast their moving). I think it would give people more of a sense of awe if they saw someone hauling @ss up a huge mountain and them realizing they are going 60+miles an hour and yet are going ever so slowly up the mountain(thus proving just how big said mountain is). Anyone else feel the same way?

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
I've always watched clips/videos and wondered what speed/rpm/throttle position of people doing insane climbs and epic sidehills. I think it would be cool if they would mount one cam somewhere on the rider that looked down at the gauges(and if possible the throttle hand), then edit the two together.

Where do you mount? the only problem with this is how do you mount...If you want to get the gauge shots like you do, then the mount would either have to be hooked to the rider, or over the front of the sled then the mount comes back towards the gauges and is positioned over it. So say to you some how find/make a mount that does this then you have to stabilize it, cause who wants a shaky, ****ty shot of the gauges. So in retrospect your going to put (depending on the difficulty of the mount) 2-6 hours getting it together all for about a 10-15 second shot. Not saying that when it comes to other shots that it takes less time, it is just that those other shots are generally way cooler, smoother, entertaining, thought provoking, attention getting shots as opposed to a shot that is pointed at the gauges, throttle. I'm not trying to say your idea is stupid or anything, because it's most definitely not. All I am trying to say is if the guys like Phillip Yribar, and the dudes over at slednecks use cameras upwards of $50,000 and they spend countless hours lining up the shot of a guy jumping a cornice as the camera pears around a dead tree trunk and gets the guy right as he goes off the lip, all in slow-motion. Then don't you think they'd do the easier shot like your gauge shot for instance if it was really worth it?

Just my 2 cents...:bolt:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I figured it could be on the moutain grab bar, or a chest mount. I never said it was a brilliant idea, just something I, a consumer, would like to see. I didn't expect huge name film crews to come running, just thought that some of the Joe's around here could incorporate a shot like that into their films to perhaps make them a little different. Nowadays everyone has similar angles and such I just always wonder when I am watching a video just how fast someone is actually moving or how much throttle they are giving it on a monster side hill.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
no I know thats what you were saying, and I totally agree almost every angle has been explored and seen...over and over...and as for the mountain strap mount, it might work on newer models since they have harder rubber straps that don't just flop around like on older skidoos, and the chest mount would be to far away, you would never be able to read the gauges...I totally agree with what your saying though.

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
chesty

I think its possible and a good idea. I race in the RMSHA and wear a go pro on my chest mount. It shows the handle bars and the gauges and you can read the speed and rpm and listen the engine speed. Kind of neat and a good idea I believe.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
You would have to make it somehow authentic to be believeable however. You would get all those guys showing them riding up a chute and splicing in a shot of just the speedo showing 90 MPH pass down the trail and then loop back to the chute as they ride over the top
If you could place the camera shot out the front of the sled that captures the speedo in the corner of the shot which also shows the sled climbing said chute that would prove it was one and the same and not just fancy video editing It would definitely give the audiance a different prespective on what some of these guys are actaully riding up and how fast.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
They make cameras that log data. Either from the ECU or separate sensors. The data is then displayed on the screen. Just like it is when watching Nascar, F1, Indy Car....

I kind of agree it would be cool and something different to see the data during a climb you can easily display throttle position, boost, mph, rpm, altitude. Even the g sensor would tell you how steep the position of the sleds is which is always hard to see in a video.

I use them in car racing a lot, especially when coaching. This one is pretty good...
http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-car-bike/smartycam/index.htm

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Somethings tells me that they are a little more then your typical GoPRO or Contour cameras HeHe. Very cool though. thanks for the link racerJB

Premium Features