• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HTC Hero GPS

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Just a question.

Don't know how it works in the woods but man the GPS function on the HTC Hero is pretty awesome.

It locks in quickly, used google maps both satellite and street, also topo. Can save tracks, way-points, etc.

Why wouldn't a person use their cell phone for the GPS feature?

Just an idea. Again the google satellite view works great. Much better than mapsource topo's. IMO

Thunder

Fast_XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I think the cell phones require 3G access in order to generate the map graphics. I think in the near future someone will develope an app that will allow for full GPS function.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Are you kidding me.....where I ride I dont get cell service. You do realize you need cell service for the gps to work on phones.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Are you kidding me.....where I ride I dont get cell service. You do realize you need cell service for the gps to work on phones.

What Fred said.

Technically the GPS would still work, but the data connection is required in order to transmit the imagery. With the Large micro SD cards of today, I would think you could load it just like we do on the garmin, but as far as I know this has not been accomplished.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
I have a HTC Incredible with GPS and it is amazing. I ditched my Garmin 755W and use the Incredible all the time for navigation on the road or trails. Its nice not having to pay for map upgrades and plus you get terrain/satellite/map view.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have a HTC Incredible with GPS and it is amazing. I ditched my Garmin 755W and use the Incredible all the time for navigation on the road or trails. Its nice not having to pay for map upgrades and plus you get terrain/satellite/map view.

Come out to CO, UT, WA... and see how well that works. Out here we have reception in about 1/8 of our areas, and out of that 1/2 isn't 3G.

They're cool, but VERY limited in use.

Btw, if you look there are a lot of options that allow you to get sat, 24k or other maps on the newer gps units now.

Better bring the garmin along next time you come out here... you'll need it!

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
The reality is this device is just not made for the backcountry

I know my droid says not to expose it to temps below freezing, its likely that the hero has similar restrictions.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
Come out to CO, UT, WA... and see how well that works. Out here we have reception in about 1/8 of our areas, and out of that 1/2 isn't 3G.

They're cool, but VERY limited in use.

Btw, if you look there are a lot of options that allow you to get sat, 24k or other maps on the newer gps units now.

Better bring the garmin along next time you come out here... you'll need it!
When I said it replaced my Garmin I meant my road Garmin not my trail Garmin.
I use my phone as a navi unit for the road and hiking trails in state parks in the midwest I know it would be useless out west.

I have a Garmin Dakota 20 with 24k map of the western states and a 100k for everywhere else in the US with a 16gb sd card. It not like topo maps go bad so there is no reason to replace this unit for 5+ years.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
The reality is this device is just not made for the backcountry

I know my droid says not to expose it to temps below freezing, its likely that the hero has similar restrictions.

Most electric devices will say that because of the battery or hardwire was not tested or design for the low temps.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008

When you said trail, I think we thought you meant trail.

I just got the Iphone 4, to my surprise it will use sattelites for navigation if there is no cell phone coverage.

Last edited:
D
Feb 27, 2009
kirkland,Wa
guys any android phone you can download apps that will alow you to save tapo maps to the sd card and your gps will work with no 3g reception or any cell service at all. so you can keep you phone in the heated riser bag and use it to navigate the trails all you want:face-icon-small-win

H
Dec 7, 2008
Omaha
Google Earth on EVO

From what I understand the latest version of Google Earth will store the images in the phones internal memory. I tried this with my EVO by zooming into a different geographic and putting it into airplane mode (No data connection). When I selected my location it went back to where I was at and it still showed the terrain for where I was at. The key is that you would need to zoom into view the areas where you are going to be at when you have a data connection.

I'm also not sure how long it will store the data in the phone's memory.

Jack Pine Savage

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
I've used the Accuterra App on my Iphone 3gs in the mountains, you don't need cell service, and it worked excellent. After installing the app you can select areas to download the detailed maps. You can uninstall the detailed maps if you don't want to use a bunch of memory. The app was free and I paid $4.99 for unlimited downloads, otherwise I think you can select certain forests or areas for a smaller fee. The detail was as good or better than anyone else I've been with a full featured GPS.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
Polaris has a really cool app for Android & I phone. Its a free download and works great.

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
So I down loaded the demo version of BackCountry Navigator for my Android phone and it works pretty well, but I like the clarity and definition of Google maps with both satellite and terrain. Does any one know of an App to use way points with Google maps? The one called My Tracks requires data connection but I need it to be able to work only on GPS at times.

I am new to both GPS and Smart phones so any help is appreciated.

D

drjcat

Jan 27, 2010
Prince George,British Columbia
So I down loaded the demo version of BackCountry Navigator for my Android phone and it works pretty well, but I like the clarity and definition of Google maps with both satellite and terrain. Does any one know of an App to use way points with Google maps? The one called My Tracks requires data connection but I need it to be able to work only on GPS at times.

I am new to both GPS and Smart phones so any help is appreciated.
If you are running in areas without cell service you might want to check out the latest "In Reach" Gps/SOS sat units. They link to your smartphones and you can text anyone, anywhere, any time,Also can use your smartphone gps apps,And then if some emergency arises you can hit the SOS button and in comes the search and rescue. Much better than a "spot" because you will always have satellite coverage(unlike the spot). Approx $29.00 p/mth,and you can "suspend" the plan when you are not using the device,Then it is $3.99 p/mth. Just some info... hope it helps.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
I have no GPS and am looking into getting a unit. But with all of the above said, I may just try my Iphone with an app first. I DO NOT have cell service while riding, but have service and WiFi while at the lodge. I want to make sure that I am able to use my phone without service and still have the GPS working. Can anybody elaborate more on this for me plesase?

I am looking at the Gaia App for $19.99. Anybody used it?

Last edited:
Premium Features