• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 m8 Turbo clutching

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I have a 2009 M8 motor in my sled, it has a chaincase not a diamond drive, just got back from revy, sled would only rev 7200rpm, and make 4 pounds of boost. Haven't had time to rip apart the clutches, but what should i be running for weights, springs, and helix? I want something with a soft engagement to help prevent trenching.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
48160887-72FD-4104-B1A1-61DC761D4AD0.jpg

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Most pull I've seen is with MDS weights. They load hard and pull.

But if your only hitting 4lbs can you turn it up. Is this a new issue or is this your first test.
You can just turn it up until it hits rpm

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Most pull I've seen is with MDS weights. They load hard and pull.

But if your only hitting 4lbs can you turn it up. Is this a new issue or is this your first test.
You can just turn it up until it hits rpm

This was my first time taking this sled to the mountains and running it in elevation. The aerochargers run off of a spring and shim, but i believe i can put on a mechanical bleeder and bleed off some pressure to increase the boost. I`ll have to check though. I have a set of fett brothers heavy hitter weights i can load up how i want if anyone could give pointers on how to load them.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
@ 10k you can run up to 6-7lbs of boost on 91 octane. I bet once you get there it will work out better.

I'm running 4000-7500 feet. I'm fine with running av gas, it's a hell of a lot cheaper then race gas. So basically you recommend turning up the boost until I get my max rpm back?

One other thing I had was a really boggy lower end, when a guy would be idling and mash the throttle wide open it would just sit there wouldn't move. Just bog. But if you feathered it in you could get it to rip.

I bought this sled built like this so it's new to me. First time out. I need to change the intake to come up out of the hood because right now it's probably sucking hot air where it is.

https://vimeo.com/146802699

Last edited:
M
Oct 20, 2013
Aerocharger Tuning

First call Aerocharger and purchase a 7 or 8 psi spring for the controller. You can run up to 10psi at 8000+ altitude on 100% 100LL. Adjusting fuel controller on all fuel settings, look up your brand for proper settings and procedures. Mine was so rich it wouldn't rev-up either until I adjusted all fuel settings. Now it just rips. Once you have completed the above two items; adjust your Aerocharger set screw on the bottom of the boost controller to achieve the fastest spool up response from a dead stop to full throttle. The engine RPM's should come up on power smoothly without a bog or lag and start boosting even at minimal throttle. Don't let the snowmobile idle between full throttle pulls ( Arctic Cats load up with fuel and oil idleing) Shut off or varry throttle continuously when stopped for long periods.
Fuel & Altitude & Boost & clutching must match!

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
@4/6500 im running mds in the primary 82 g i beleive with a 36/42 helix Stock head with three dagrees advance on timing no retarder.I run about 35%110 with the rest 91 pump. No intercooler 9/10 psi But i have a garrett turbo so theres a difference there.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I was thinking about adding a mechanical boost controller bleeder. So i can run a low pressure spring and just have the ability to turn it up when i want. I have a feeling i need to adjust the boost controller screw so it starts boosting faster. I'm fine with sacrificing some high end power to get in boost faster. I have a feeling i'm really loading up on fuel when i'm idling. Because when i stab the throttle from idling it don't even go anywhere.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Found a ripped bellow and the spring on the other bellow was off, so basically the power valves were wide open and leaking pressure and exhuast out, probably not functioning the power valves at all. STM Bellow power valves.

I also removed the restrictive cone filter, and built myself a cold air intake, now i just need to get it made out of aluminum tubing to make it lighter and less restrictions. I used white PVC plumbing pieces and the rubber connectors.

Haven't checked my weights yet as they are the adjustable ones with screw in weights.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Hopefully you have the 66 aero not the 53? The 53 is limited to pretty low boost on an 800.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Hopefully you have the 66 aero not the 53? The 53 is limited to pretty low boost on an 800.

have a 66 on this one, the 53 series on my firecat for low boost. Already talked to aerocharger, the 53 series are limited to 7psi on the 800cc, or risk overspeeding the turbo.

Here's pictures of what i have done.

Last edited:
I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Went for another rip, was getting 7,700rpm at 8.4lbs now, weights were cpc 75g adjustable set to 78g, I have a gold with white mark spring, and in my team secondary I have a 44-50-36 or 42-48-36, has those two markings, unfamiliar with team clutches, also says

11/01/11 11:51
CUSTOM
RAPID REACTION tm
TWIN TRAX tm helix

I now put in some thunder products or fett bros heavy hitter adjustable weights, weighted to 74g. To try and bring my rpm to 8,200.

This is all for 4,000-7,500 feet.

Last edited:
Premium Features