• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommended financing providers?

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
I was originally planning on handing over a check for the full cost of my incoming 2013 Summit X. However, I've been gather a bunch of high-end parts for my moon buggy rock crawler to elevate its competitive prowess. Sooo, yes, I've dipped into my sled savings.

I will likely need to finance a little of the new sled. With that said, can anyone recommend a sled-friendly institution that offers low-rates and flexible financing options?

I-90 Motorsports recommended AlaskaUSA Credit Union. Any others I should look into?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sheiffield, I have used them many times and are very good to work with.

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Try searching around and finding your local credit unions and check into them alot of times their rates will blow everyone else away and you dont have to worry about just being a name or number cause they are a smaller network. currently both my CU's have rates between 2.5-3.4% on new sleds if you have good credit

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Thank you for the input. I'll keep these in mind.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have had a few loans with them and currently have one through them with 3.9%.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I know I am going to be the wet blanket but I wouldn't finance a toy in this economy. I have done every stupid thing you can do with money and have learned through painful experience not to go into debt for anything but a house and maybe a business deal. Taken me my whole adult life to get out of debt and I feel so much better. Like dropping a 100lb pack...

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
I know I am going to be the wet blanket but I wouldn't finance a toy in this economy. I have done every stupid thing you can do with money and have learned through painful experience not to go into debt for anything but a house and maybe a business deal. Taken me my whole adult life to get out of debt and I feel so much better. Like dropping a 100lb pack...

^^^X2

When wisdom whispers, the young do well to listen....

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

Not trying to rip on anyone but for some of us that don't make six figures a year it would take a long time to save up 13000 dollars to pay a sled. Now with that being said I'm not one of those people that go in and finace the whole 13 grand for 7 years just so I can ride a new sled. I usally put half or close to it down and no loans over 3 years. I do have to ask your reason for not reccommanding to get a loan? If the bank goes under it's not my fault.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Totally agree with Matte as well!

Cubby: If you have 7k to put down why don't you buy a 7k sled then? If you can't afford it don't buy it...

I had more loans on toys than i could shake a stick at when i was younger and now that i am debt free it makes such a difference. I will never buy a toy i can't afford to pay cash for again.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
finance it..let the bank own it as you ride it.

if you don't destroy it and collect on the insurance, resell it and pay off the loan...wash rinse repeat.

Why have my money wrapped up in stuff that is not going to make me money?

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009

That is some of the best advice I have seen on SnoWest. Thanks Matte.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I know the kind of stress I was under because I couldn't pay my bills. Some of it was business stuff but a lot was personal crap. People kill themselves over money problems and toys are just self inflicted money problems. Credit is a trap. Credit cards are a huge trap. I looked at that payment to my credit card companies as paying for old clothes and other stuff that was in the landfill. Once the interest gets to be ALL of your payment you are cooked. The day I paid off my last truck I started saving for the next one. It was .9% interest and the last vehicle I buy on credit ever. And again, I am not smart. I did all the stupid stuff, nearly bankrupt 3 times and the thought of my wife and kids getting put out on the street straightened my s(*t out. Those 4 year old sleds were bad azz when they came out and only marketing and our competitive nature makes us think we need a 2013.

B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
I know the kind of stress I was under because I couldn't pay my bills. Some of it was business stuff but a lot was personal crap. People kill themselves over money problems and toys are just self inflicted money problems. Credit is a trap. Credit cards are a huge trap. I looked at that payment to my credit card companies as paying for old clothes and other stuff that was in the landfill. Once the interest gets to be ALL of your payment you are cooked. The day I paid off my last truck I started saving for the next one. It was .9% interest and the last vehicle I buy on credit ever. And again, I am not smart. I did all the stupid stuff, nearly bankrupt 3 times and the thought of my wife and kids getting put out on the street straightened my s(*t out. Those 4 year old sleds were bad azz when they came out and only marketing and our competitive nature makes us think we need a 2013.

In this economy financing a toy (singular) is perfectly fine. Finance what ever amount you need as long as your obligations can be covered on a monthly basis. Credit checks will only allow you to barrow a percentage of what you make monthly as a safety to help keep you from potential default and/or buying things you cannot afford (even on a monthly basis) Do not get a loan for a toy if you are not paying into a retirement and/or investment fund.

Credit is not a trap, it is a card game where the "house" has the odds in their favor. Fortunately a thorough understanding of how credit works and how to "manage" your credit will keep you out of hot water. You have to pay for credit and credit cards should be designated for certain items you can afford to pay off within 90 days as this exemplifies "managing" credit.

It is easy to abuse credit cards and/or loans if you cannot pay your balance in a timely manner, and when acquiring a loan or item can only afford to pay the minimum payment. Getting this loan will help boost your credit score so as your payments are made on time. Pay more than the minimum monthly to pay your loan off in, at most, half the loan life. Get a new sled, with warranty, which could be less expensive in the long run than buying a used sled needing repair in the next few seasons. DOO it!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Totally agree with Matte as well!

Cubby: If you have 7k to put down why don't you buy a 7k sled then? If you can't afford it don't buy it...

I had more loans on toys than i could shake a stick at when i was younger and now that i am debt free it makes such a difference. I will never buy a toy i can't afford to pay cash for again.

Sorry but I CAN afford it and that's why I did it. Why not buy a $7000 sled you ask, Cause I got really tried of forking out $1000 bucks in the middle of the season to fix the damn thing!! At least for the next 3 years if the motor goes down it's not my dime fixing it. That's the problem with a lot of people out there, they go and bury themselves in so much debt that you can't see the light of day. Well that's not the case with me, I don't over spend. I'm not pointing fingers here but if you almost went bankrupt 3 times you diffently made some bad choices in life. For me, I seem to be doing very well for being 34 years old and I own 6 of my 7 toys out right, so please don't tell me I can't afford the nicer things in life.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Sorry but I CAN afford it and that's why I did it. Why not buy a $7000 sled you ask, Cause I got really tried of forking out $1000 bucks in the middle of the season to fix the damn thing!! At least for the next 3 years if the motor goes down it's not my dime fixing it. That's the problem with a lot of people out there, they go and bury themselves in so much debt that you can't see the light of day. Well that's not the case with me, I don't over spend. I'm not pointing fingers here but if you almost went bankrupt 3 times you diffently made some bad choices in life. For me, I seem to be doing very well for being 34 years old and I own 6 of my 7 toys out right, so please don't tell me I can't afford the nicer things in life.

You can do what you want... Your a big boy. You are getting me confussed with someone else. I didn't almost go bankrupt 3 times... Im not saying you can't afford to pay for the payment it's just alot of guys finance a new sled and then can't even afford to buy Decent gear, helmets,avy equipment, trailer... It's just kind of funny when guys finance a new sled and then haul it to the hill with a $1000 pickup. That might not be you... It sounds like your alot more responsible about it than i gave you credit for. Sorry about that. Have fun on the new sled!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You can do what you want... Your a big boy. You are getting me confussed with someone else. I didn't almost go bankrupt 3 times... Im not saying you can't afford to pay for the payment it's just alot of guys finance a new sled and then can't even afford to buy Decent gear, helmets,avy equipment, trailer... It's just kind of funny when guys finance a new sled and then haul it to the hill with a $1000 pickup. That might not be you... It sounds like your alot more responsible about it than i gave you credit for. Sorry about that. Have fun on the new sled!

I'm sorry, Nytroty, I think I was refering to Matt on some of those comments. All is well though, I think my parants had a lot of credit in the way I was raised. Just cause the bank says I can have something don't mean I'm going to go out and buy one. I do see where you guys are coming from and I understand. But I do drive a 1993 ford f250 LOL, it also has a new motor, and in really great shape for it's age.

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Dont underestimate the power of the $1000 pickup alot of times those run better than the 15k ones just saying.... Money management is key loans arent a bad thing they only become bad when your money and time isn't managed correctly.

Premium Features