• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Scissor Bracket Install / Fixes Rear Sag

S
Jan 1, 2008
Lewiston Idaho
Here is a step by step for the install of the new rear scissor brackets. I got my set from Rooster built, $70 including the shipping.

First off I measured the starting height of the sled with the suspension all the way up.

attachment.php

Next you want to use a ratchet strap, attatch to both sides of the lower rear scissor while going around the rear axle. Tighten the strap up snug and remove the nut off the end of the lower bolt.

attachment.php

The bolt was gummed up so I used a set of Vise Grips to twist the bolt loose. Pull the bolt all the way out.

attachment.php

Be careful of the inner washers, they will try to fall under the sled and hide.

attachment.php

Tighten the ratchet strap to pull the rear scissor arm back and install the new scissor brackets with the inculded bolts.

attachment.php

Now its time to reinstall the bolt, this is the hardest part because of the two washers on the inside of the rails.

attachment.php

Tighten it all back up and here is what you got. It certainly changes the angle of the lower scissor and stiffens up the rear suspension.

attachment.php

By my measurement you loose just under 2 inches of standing height. But when you get on the sled there in not nearly the sag. Hope this helps! :beer;

attachment.php

Starting height.JPG Ratchet Strap.jpg Vise grips.JPG Inner Washers.JPG Install Brackets.JPG Reinstall Bolt.JPG Finished.jpg

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Only seeing res Xs but your instructions are great ! Once you have the pix Cory should print that off and send it with his kit. Well done. sj

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
I can see them fine as well.
Put a set in for a fellow the other day and did it this way.
Sled on sled jack or back end lifted.
Loosen back bolts on rear wheels.This lets the rails spread.
Release springs by taking front bolts and plastic keeper off. (Be carefull )
Undo scissor bolt and remove. It will be loose and remove easy.
Install bracket.
Slide scissor back and reinstall bolt with the washers on inside of rail.
Put springs back and tighten rear bolt in wheels .
Done.
With the springs released it is very easy to move things around on the back end.

Just another way that may help.

Last edited:
K

kobylka18

Oct 20, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for the install instructions. I am going to be installing these brackets this weekend. With this new found knowledge hopefully it will be an easy install.

Jul 22, 2008
I have these as well and I just bent the stopper tab out of the way so it would come back up to proper height, it is pretty close to straight inline now but has never gone over center on me. Easy to bend back if you dont like.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Hmmm wounldnt that negate the aggressive angle the bracket creates? Now i have to go out and look at mine:face-icon-small-sho

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
These work great! Rode the '08 163 today and was impressed with the improvement in deep snow AND on the roads. Don't jack up the rear!!! Leave it alone and ride it. Jacking it up will ruin the handling and has a negative effect on how it travels in the deep and also brings back the harder steering that everyone complains about by putting too much weight on the skis.
They really help keep the front down on a climb, easier to control and more track in the snow.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
springs

on a 146 with these brackets and stiffer springs is not impressive. Too stiff, tends to trench and seems to pound and push bumps, rather than roll over. Going to remove the stiff springs.

L

lugnut

Sep 21, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nice call Paul. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE REAR RIDE HEIGHT. Alot of buds want to jack the rear end in the air. I have the lowest rear ride height ever. It works. Its fast.

These work great! Rode the '08 163 today and was impressed with the improvement in deep snow AND on the roads. Don't jack up the rear!!! Leave it alone and ride it. Jacking it up will ruin the handling and has a negative effect on how it travels in the deep and also brings back the harder steering that everyone complains about by putting too much weight on the skis.
They really help keep the front down on a climb, easier to control and more track in the snow.

C
Nov 23, 2009
$70?! Are you kidding me! Aluminum that size goes in the scrap bin in my shop. If someone came to me and wanted that made, I would, honestly, probably just give it to him. Praise the mighty dollar!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Even after you machine it to fit the rail width and the cutout in the rail...and the holes and the bolts??....Not much stuff for sleds out there that actually works, especially for that amount of $$....and they are $62, not 70. Huge gains for the $$.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
$70?! Are you kidding me! Aluminum that size goes in the scrap bin in my shop. If someone came to me and wanted that made, I would, honestly, probably just give it to him. Praise the mighty dollar!

There is a lil more to it that that. Im sure you have come up with great ideas , had them made and gave them away.

C
Nov 23, 2009
I guess I look at fabrication from a different point of view. That's what I do for a living. Things like that are so simple. It amazes me what people charge the unknowing. As far as giving it away, yes, I probably would. I've done things like that many times knowing the customers leave happy and eventually come back with much bigger projects. Word of mouth goes a long way. I'm not one to make money off my peers. (I'll do that to the big dogs). If I can earn a decent living and support my employees and their families, I'm happy.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I hear ya...not much to them, but imagine making hundreds of them, machine setup time, having an employee making them, stocking them, spending time to ship them etc.... We don't make them so I don't know the numbers....but I know no one is getting rich off it.
I have been far more disgusted in the past after spending big $$ on a product that doesn't work or is a step backwards....at least these are a sure deal.

Premium Features