• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 Dragon: Voltage Regulator Went Out. Is ECU ok?

M
Jan 7, 2015
After a few hours riding last weekend, my sled started stalling. It was acting as if it was out of gas but had at least half a tank. Would start up fine then die again after a couple minutes. Figured I better pack it in. I had about a five mile ride back to the truck...

Long story short, the sled would fire up just fine after it stalled each time but I noticed that before it would stall, the power on the dash would go out. Then it would start bogging and stall. Made it to the truck fine but went through this routine about 4-5 times before it got there.

After some research, it appears that it was the voltage regulator that went out. This seems to be a common problem with these sleds. After further research it looks like this can also cause the ECU to go bad. My question is how do you know if it's bad? I popped mine off to see if it had melted or anything and everything looks fine with it. You think it's ok or are there other ways to tell if that's bad.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It's been my experience that if the VR kills the ECU it kills it dead. No starting or anything after.

sled_guy

K
Oct 17, 2015
Kinda funny cause I let really just had the same problem. Did a whole rebuild on my '10 assault. After a little while of it running, the MFD would go blank, sled would rev up and kill. Start back up just fine and kill again. Ordered a MFG supply VR and it seems fine. Headed on trip tomorrow so we'll see!

toesmack

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2008
Reno, NV
Had the VR go out on a 2010 Dragon 800. Ran well after replacement but performance started falling off. Found a bad fuel pump. Replaced it with a new $509.00!!!! pump and runs good as new.

Premium Features