• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SlP single on the 800 etec?

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
snochecked a new summit x and debating on what im gonna do for upgrades. Always used and had good luck with SLP products on my Polaris's and Artic cat's. anyone running this on there 800? good and bad?
thanks and pray for snow

offtrail

Lifetime Membership
Yeah Im thinking bout putting one on my XM too. Got one from a buddy for a good price. Like the fact of the weight loss. They claim 6 hp which isn't much. I just don't want it to hurt horsepower or cause issues. Anybody else have one on a 11 or 12 etec that ran it for a season?

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Winterbrew

Winterbrew,
What would you recommend for an exhaust system? If a whole system, which system? Or if just a can which can do you feel is best?

Thanks
CRR

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I asked the same question not long ago, with little to no response. From the research and respones that I received I went wih just an HPS can. It's the best bang for the buck and works very well with the etec. I'm not saying that SLP's set up isn't a good one, but if it was that great everyone would be ranting and raving over it and that's just not the case as I see it.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
shop i work with, not for, tried slp and bikeman last winter..no discernable improvement with either...dyno showed only 1.5 hp gain with either....seems unless you do a decent port job to increase flow, there's no appreciable benefit, except for weight loss..

S
Sep 29, 2010
i run tyhe slp kit on mine and its a big difference in mid and high really snappy you have to run the slp clutching they recomend i do have the team tide clutch set up to im sure that makes a difference but i would recomend the kit

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
ran the full set up on 2 different 12 ETECs. I THINK it adds power at the top. Sure sounds like it takes off the last quarter throttle. BUT, Winterbrew had to take some weight out of his clutch set up to get it to pull 8000 for me. So that tells a different story... Lots of weight loss for what the whole set up costs. Does the same setup for the 12 XP fit the new XM?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Emailed SLP about fitment. The bung for the probe(that sounds dirty) is in a different spot on the 13 SLP pipe for the XM. The 11 and 12 pipes WILL fit but the probe is going to be stretched to the limit. Brew why do you think this set up runs less weight in the clutch?

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
SLP does have a slight "real world" hp gain. You do have to lighten clutching to get the desired rpm SLP wants. In my opinion, only a "hill climber" type individual will benifit power wise from this pipe combo. If you want to drop weight & look good it works fine as well. If you are a in/out of throttle or boondocker type rider, keep the stk pipe & a can of your choice. SLP does make a quailty product, and stands behind it with solid warranty support. In the end, it's your dime & your call!

T
Aug 8, 2011
For what its worth

I was around both an 11 and 12 163 all last season.

Start of the season the 11 had a peak 2.5 on it...got worked over by the 12. Not terribly bad, but the 12 was definatly better.

As the season wore on, the 11 owner added the slp complete setup and worked with a DJ clutch kit on it. Im not sure where he ended up with his clutch, but by the end of the season the 11 was slightly better than the 12. I think it makes power on the 11. I dont know if it will make power on the 12 though.

Also, part of the gain could be attributed to the peak track...I feel that it loosened up through the year and started working better.

Take it for what its worth. I will not be buying a complete system for my 13. I think a can gets the bulk of the gain (weight loss) and I feel there is easier power gains to be found inside.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I just put my stock setup back on my 12. The stock y-pipe has some deep indentation across the bottom so you have clearance for the long bolt. The SLP Y-pipe comes with bolts that have the head trimmed back and the flange has a notch in it so and is smooth with no indentations. Those big dents right there at that exhaust port can't be good for flow. Makes sense that the power would come at the top. So maybe the y-pipe and can would be the hot set up?

M
Jan 8, 2011
Hat about the straightline pipe?
Those who have tried it says you get à great trottle response and have to add 1,5-2g in the clutches.

T

teamthunderf**ked

Jan 11, 2009
cherry point ab
My opinion is that skidoo makes the best pipe they can for power on a stock motor and put the big can on for noise/pollution regulations, this being said without changing motor i do not think other than weight savings you will not gain by changing your exhaust. If you want to gain on the hill shed the can and spend your money on clutch, gearing, motor porting, track, nitrous or just save up and go big put a turbo on. Hell an exaust system pays for almost a quarter of it with little to no gains

Premium Features