• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"The Fix" for Polaris D8 CFI /Any other Reliability improvements/ DET issues????

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
"The Fix" for Polaris D8 CFI /Any other Reliability improvements/ DET issues????

I am very interested in this engine mod. Would love to continue reading the other members posts but i hate the #75 limit. There up almost to 300 now so i wanted to make this thread to get some posts on here about responses poeple have had running the fix. Is it worth it, reliability, any issues, that sort of thing. Keep it open so basic members know whats going on and if anyone has any helpful information on my issue. Thanks for any input!

-----My Problem----
My 2009 D8 RMK was a 2010 carry over and had the updated pistons before it was purchaced. However, this last season (only when riding in minnesota) i kept getting the DET light at WOT. It was scary... motor would retard itself when the light flashed, slowing it down instantly. This happened about 25% of the time when i kept it at WOT and got it above 60 mph. Got the latest reflash done in feb. 2010 and rode it in island park with no issue. Wish i got more time on the reflash before the season ended to be able to see if it helped my DET problem back in Minnesota.

Still a little sketched out about the motor even though i have ~2000 miles on it and no scoring on the pistons when i took off the exhaust valves a few weeks ago. All in all, I LOVE this sled, it handles perfect, is in amazing condition, and i want to make it last for years to come! Any advise/personal experience would be VERY appriciated. Thanks! :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
"The fix" kit for these sleds usually involve changing out the pistons for ones that have tighter clearances. and if you dont have any scoring i wouldnt bother replacing the pistons. I also have an 09 D8 and live in central mn. I have around 1400mi and have not had any problems and my pistons look great also. What you describe sounds like a different problem. I would check your gas your using and if you have the ethanol plug plugged. I would check with your local dealer because i am pretty sure there was a reflash from april 2010. Hope you get it going soon!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I am very interested in this engine mod. Would love to continue reading the other members posts but i hate the #75 limit. There up almost to 300 now so i wanted to make this thread to get some posts on here about responses poeple have had running the fix. Is it worth it, reliability, any issues, that sort of thing. Keep it open so basic members know whats going on and if anyone has any helpful information on my issue. Thanks for any input!

-----My Problem----
My 2009 D8 RMK was a 2010 carry over and had the updated pistons before it was purchaced. However, this last season (only when riding in minnesota) i kept getting the DET light at WOT. It was scary... motor would retard itself when the light flashed, slowing it down instantly. This happened about 25% of the time when i kept it at WOT and got it above 60 mph. Got the latest reflash done in feb. 2010 and rode it in island park with no issue. Wish i got more time on the reflash before the season ended to be able to see if it helped my DET problem back in Minnesota.

Still a little sketched out about the motor even though i have ~2000 miles on it and no scoring on the pistons when i took off the exhaust valves a few weeks ago. All in all, I LOVE this sled, it handles perfect, is in amazing condition, and i want to make it last for years to come! Any advise/personal experience would be VERY appriciated. Thanks! :face-icon-small-hap
What is your RMP's at WOT? I would guess that you are hitting your rev limiter, it often shows up as det. This was happening on the PROs this last year. People thought it was because of octane but it was more do to over revving. Maybe your clutching is light for sea level but good for higher altitude. Two things I would recommend is a fuel control, and the FIX kit. It will take care two of the major problems on these engines. Good luck and have fun!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What is your RMP's at WOT? I would guess that you are hitting your rev limiter, it often shows up as det. This was happening on the PROs this last year. People thought it was because of octane but it was more do to over revving. Maybe your clutching is light for sea level but good for higher altitude. Two things I would recommend is a fuel control, and the FIX kit. It will take care two of the major problems on these engines. Good luck and have fun!

This is exactly what is going on. If these motors are not loaded enough with too light of weights or a clutching calibration issue, the electronics systems, ECM will kick the deto light. The reflash you had done when you rode at a higher altitude was coincidental due to the higher altitude with proper clutch calibration.

I repaired this same exact symptom last season on 3 different sleds with a heavier set of clutch weights. Guys were shaking their heads.

"Why does it do that?"

"I know what Rev limiter feels like" "This can't be the problem"

Phone calls were, "Wow, I can't believe that was the issue"

My sled did the same thing when it was brand new. Brought it home, threw heavier weights and a Carls Helix....no more blinky and way better go...

You are going to need to load the motor down more. Try throwing a heavier set of weights on it at your lower altitudes. You will most likely need to change weights when you go out West and running higher altitudes.

New season, change your fuel filters boys.

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
This is exactly what is going on. If these motors are not loaded enough with too light of weights or a clutching calibration issue, the electronics systems, ECM will kick the deto light. The reflash you had done when you rode at a higher altitude was coincidental due to the higher altitude with proper clutch calibration.

I repaired this same exact symptom last season on 3 different sleds with a heavier set of clutch weights. Guys were shaking their heads.

"Why does it do that?"

"I know what Rev limiter feels like" "This can't be the problem"

Phone calls were, "Wow, I can't believe that was the issue"

My sled did the same thing when it was brand new. Brought it home, threw heavier weights and a Carls Helix....no more blinky and way better go...

You are going to need to load the motor down more. Try throwing a heavier set of weights on it at your lower altitudes. You will most likely need to change weights when you go out West and running higher altitudes.

New season, change your fuel filters boys.

It will go up to about 8100-8150 RMPs. I am running 10-68g weights for MN

Last edited:
Premium Features