• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Solution to snow-packed hood vents on M series

S
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado
Has anyone found or come up with a solution to the snow packing into the hood vents on an M series sled? Especially the two vents up in the nose. I had some minor issues with melting last season and every time I opened the hood, I noticed that the nose of the sled was packed with snow. I was not able to open the hood once because the snow that had gotten in froze and bound the hood from opening. I had to wait until the snow melted to get my hood open. I have seen the hood bras from SnoSkinz but they are pricey. Thank you for your opinions, very appreciated.

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
i got the same problem on my M6 and i was thinking of putting in the really fine faboric stuff that repels snow and water but lets in air,ski-doo sells it for their sleds,its like the stuff below the lights on our M's for the air intake.What do you guys think of this idea?

K
Nov 26, 2007
cascadia
Mesh hood is the only thing that truly works.

Yep, finally got mine on WB. Thanks for the intake info, works good. Really cools things down Stonefly.
145.jpg

144.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
You can use the prefilter mentioned and either glue it around the vents, or put it on the inside between the hood and the stock screens. Sometimes I don't think the people who are designing these sleds ever ride them. I'm a mesh hood fan also. I am using the speedwerx cold air intake and diamond s hood, great combination.

B
Nov 26, 2007
ak
go to home depot and buy some of the rubber coated pet screen(cost 22.00) get some sort of glue your preference....

then take out the screens on the front of your hoods and glue the pet screen to them...reinstall and your good.....been running this settup for a couple years and have no problems...and its cheap!!!!!

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Tape will work to cover the hole. You are never getting any cold air flow though. To each their own.........

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
go to home depot and buy some of the rubber coated pet screen(cost 22.00) get some sort of glue your preference....

then take out the screens on the front of your hoods and glue the pet screen to them...reinstall and your good.....been running this settup for a couple years and have no problems...and its cheap!!!!!

ditto, ive had no problems since i did this.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Bubble all 6 of the screen vents outwards with a round screwdriver handle (convex instead of concave). DO this from the inside of the hood out with the screen in place. Remove clips as you need to.
Then remove the screen itself and cover them with vinyl covered pet mesh from walmart.
Re-install.
Spray and slightly buff hood and screen with teflon or silicone spray.

It's the same idea as wearing a bubble goggle lense, the snow hits the lense and goes to the low spots and out of your field of vision. So in the case of your hood, the snow will hit the convex vent and blow over- essentially self-clearing the vent. It kinda looks funny, but when you're in the deep, you'll be thinking of me and my buddies and that cleap $8 roll of mesh.

OR call Cutler for their stick-on vent screen patches.

tsnowak

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
Bubble all 6 of the screen vents outwards with a round screwdriver handle (convex instead of concave). DO this from the inside of the hood out with the screen in place. Remove clips as you need to.
Then remove the screen itself and cover them with vinyl covered pet mesh from walmart.
Re-install.
Spray and slightly buff hood and screen with teflon or silicone spray.

It's the same idea as wearing a bubble goggle lense, the snow hits the lense and goes to the low spots and out of your field of vision. So in the case of your hood, the snow will hit the convex vent and blow over- essentially self-clearing the vent. It kinda looks funny, but when you're in the deep, you'll be thinking of me and my buddies and that cleap $8 roll of mesh.

OR call Cutler for their stick-on vent screen patches.

I did similar, bent the stock screens so they were convex then put the SLP prefilter material between hood and screen and used clips on all the hood tabs down there. siliconed them in to really hold em. works well

M
Nov 27, 2007
I am looking for the "bra" that is used on the mod sno pros that covers the front belly pan intake and comes up thru the bumber to cover the front hood intake. I think part is snapped in and part is held by velcro. I looked on brownsleisureworld.com but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anybody have a part number?

Isn't their a company that makes these screens kits out of fabric? They have been used on the sno pros since 2000. Anybody have a website?

I need something like this for a modified intake system. Thanks.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i'm running the speedwerx bra mex is talking about. its not in thier catalog, if you call mountain tech they know about it and can sell it to you.

Last edited:
C

ChrisM8

Dec 3, 2007
I have used that tin foil tape, or heat tape. Never had a problem. Don't let anybody tell ya about loss of air flow, cause ya ain't gettin any with it plugged either.

Cheers
ChrisM8

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Second what Chris M8 says. Simple and works.

Then the next day when it's warmer and heavy, you reach down and gently LOL pull off the tape and you got more air flow then the guy with pet screen glued over.

Nothing wrong with what ever you decide you need but nothing wrong with a bit of duct tape on the days you need it.
I'm old school and always have a bit with me anyway.

I see different colors too lol.

If you can remember the old days they all had adj. vents before the sled makers decided to save every penny and ounce.
Made sense and worked then and still does today.

Premium Features