• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Towing

O
Mar 20, 2016
Central Oregon
So what's the trick to towing a broke down bike? We tried many times and it always ended up like the attached picture ... and it didn't take very long to get there either. Sometimes it happened right out of the gate and other times it was like the slack rope and the water skier. I'm sure this won't be the last time so I'm looking for pointers for both the tow-er and the tow-ee ... as well as pointers on how to lash the two together. Thx in advance!

20160512_123730_HDR.jpg

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
I had to be towed before. Just used normal rope and rode like the wind!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I think you are better off tiring to the front frame through the fork..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So what's the trick to towing a broke down bike? We tried many times and it always ended up like the attached picture ... and it didn't take very long to get there either. Sometimes it happened right out of the gate and other times it was like the slack rope and the water skier. I'm sure this won't be the last time so I'm looking for pointers for both the tow-er and the tow-ee ... as well as pointers on how to lash the two together. Thx in advance!

Jack, your bike belongs on the other end of the rope. :face-icon-small-ton

https://youtu.be/jWblCTmkuGE

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Fashion a rope to hook on the foot pegs. Haven't tried it yet, but heard it works. I have tried the ski loop and that did not work very well. Thru the forks to the frame worked the best when I did it

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
What worked best for me was two ropes (mule tape) of equal length between the forks to the foot pegs. Still wasn't great. Many crashes in a couple mile stretch of medium technical terrain. I used carabiners for quick disconnect when we crashed. On one steep uphill we had to train two sleds together to get the bike up. Next time i might use climbing rope or something with more stretch.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
What was the cause of those two tow outs? Just curious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
bike pull'n

towed a few, mostly TS with broken primary chains back when everyone ran them toooo tight.

here's a picture of my first kit from 5 years ago, took it out last spring to let some new guys get some seat time, Tom had to try it hard in the moguls......oops broke my drive shaft. towed 8 miles, no misshaps, tied to frame through the forks...........not too bad.

yz 250 rope towed.jpg

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
towed a few, mostly TS with broken primary chains back when everyone ran them toooo tight.

here's a picture of my first kit from 5 years ago, took it out last spring to let some new guys get some seat time, Tom had to try it hard in the moguls......oops broke my drive shaft. towed 8 miles, no misshaps, tied to frame through the forks...........not too bad.

I helped someone tow a snowbike out and that's how we did it. Worked pretty well.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
We have had the best luck going through the forks to the frame in the center. Works well as long as you dont try to make super aggressive corners. And person being towed rides along just like normal.

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
Selkirk Helicopters

Touch wood as I haven't needed them yet...., but I have an account with our local Helicopter guys. If something breaks big time in steep terrain, I will get it to a clearing and put it on a sky hook!! Damage to the bike or whatever unit is towing can quickly add up. We are fortunate that we have this option so close to our riding areas.

I do carry a bridle that is made up to go over each foot peg and forward through the forks to the tow unit, ...again I haven't required this as yet either.

My best insurance is riding a Trusty KTM Four Stroke with regular service and maintenance.

CR

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
Towed mine out 27km in mountains . Between forks to lowest part of frame in front. I was able to get towed what speed the sled pulling me wanted to go

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
as mentioned, either between the forks to the frame or to the pegs. On the bike doing the towing, I use a snowbunjee which does a nice job absorbing the initial impact from taking up the slack. Works like a charm and I've towed more bikes than anyone should have to.

Premium Features