• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing (Husaberg 570)

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Maybe one of you gearing gurus could come back on this.
I am riding a 2011 Husaberg 570. Have only this season on her so just trying to get dialed in.
I was running a 13T on the engine itself then going back to the 17T to 17T on the Jackshaft then to the 20T on the driver.
Riding last weekend in Cooke I felt like I was not using all the bikes power and I was not getting the track speed I should.
I felt like she could of been a bit taller in the gears so to speak.

So I went to this combination, #1 as it seemed like the right choice on paper and it was a combo where the chain still fit.
14T on the engine, 16T to the 17T to the 20T.

Now Instead of 3rd and 4th being my primary gears that I use, I am using 2nd and 3rd.

I am not sure I went the right way as I am still not seeing the track speed I would like for climbing.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? Allen please pipe in on this as I am sure you have seen it all!

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
No

Please tell me more!
I see you have the same bike! Did you switch the Chaincase gears? If so what was the improvement?

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Clarify

I also need to clarify I'm running a 137in track.
But regardless of that.
Please tell me more of this switching of Chain Case Gears, I'm taking this to meaning flip/flop them!
What improvements and where do you draw the line on power to do this? i.e., 500cc and up?
And am I wrong in my thinking that the 14T 16T17T 20T combination that I am currently running should be a slight improvement?
Or if your switching them what are you switching them to?
Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Ozzy I have a 2012 KTM 500EXC and am messing with the gearing as well, this is my second yr. with the kit I have tried the ones you have also and ended up switching back to the 17 on the inner jack shaft and yesterday I bought a 12T for the counter shaft and have the outside chain case sprockets switched 12-17-20-17 and I am going out today to test it out I have also tried the 13-17-20-17 and that was just a little to tall for me but maybe good with your 570. I will get back tonight with my results for you.

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Perfect

Great,
Were basically running the same bike, I think your gears are a little taller than mine to start with, but were close. I will be anxious to hear your results.

B
Feb 25, 2013
I believe you guys could leave your primary gears alone, just go up a tooth on the top secondary or down maybe two on the jackshaft sprocket if your bike has power to spare. Some pre rev limiter older KTM's, Husabergs, etc. you could actually go up a few teeth on the rear wheel to let it rev and spin faster. A friends KTM LC4 400EXC was hanging with my adventure bike at over 110mph on asphalt with lower than stock gearing.:face-icon-small-ton

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Swapping the sprockets in the chaincase will gear you up and is a good (cheap) place to start. A lot of the Midwest/East Coast guys are doing this to get more top end speed out on the trails.

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Looking for climbing gears

I like where all the input is going. I'm just setting down to calculate it all out on paper. But I can tell you this by going to a 14t on the engine then to a 16T/17T then to the 20T I gained absolutely nothing on RPM, I actually gained 1RPM in Third gear on paper, so back to the drawing board. I will swap the gears in the chain case and start from there.
I will be anxious to hear about the 12T experiment today.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I like where all the input is going. I'm just setting down to calculate it all out on paper. But I can tell you this by going to a 14t on the engine then to a 16T/17T then to the 20T I gained absolutely nothing on RPM, I actually gained 1RPM in Third gear on paper, so back to the drawing board. I will swap the gears in the chain case and start from there.

I have already done the calc's for you, let me see if I can attache the file.

Attachments

• MH Drive Ratio's - 2.xlsx
    27.6 KB · Views: 83
O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Wow

Thank you!! Thats awesome. I was going to go to the 14-16-20-17 on my next testing round. This spreadsheet helps alot. I will know with the above combo if I've gone too far or if I can pull it off with the power!
By any chance could you plug in or you might already have a spreadsheet for a 137in track. I know beggars cant be choosers, but if you have it great, as I'm not good with Excel. The effects would be the same with the 137in track, I'm just wondering how it affects track speed.
Thanks

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State

Ozzy so here is my results after running the 12-T 47 miles in 8"-16" of heavy snow with some hard packed trails it was perfect for me and I have been working on getting this right for 2 years and it has been a challenge with the 6 speed trans. Basically I play around using 5 gears and if I am on an open trail I can shift to 6th and hall *** or just cruse. With the 13-T on this 500 I would have a hard time pulling 6th but it is just right with the 12-17-20-17 :whoo::peace:

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Your thoughts

Ok, that is great news.
I am going to try 14-16-20-17 on Friday as I already have the 14 and the 16 in place and all I have to do is flip/flop the 20 and the 17. Otherwise I need to pull the shaft to get the 17 back on, I will do so if my results are positive on Friday, as I am advancing in that direction.
Ok tell me this, now that you've tested on the trail and such. How do you think this combination would work for climbing? Do you still have the torque needed?

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Yes with this setup I had no problem climbing it is a bit longer in between each gear so I don't feel I have to shift as much. and yes I just pulled my inner 16-T off my jack shaft last week, it is not an easy project for sure. But that 16 just was not exactly what I was looking for, and I tried about 4 different setups with it. I also posted up a spreed sheet I got from another guy on here that has all the combinations and ratios. and I posted it for the KTM 500 Turbo project it is down on the list almost to the bottom.

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
Ozzy so here is my results after running the 12-T 47 miles in 8"-16" of heavy snow with some hard packed trails it was perfect for me and I have been working on getting this right for 2 years and it has been a challenge with the 6 speed trans. Basically I play around using 5 gears and if I am on an open trail I can shift to 6th and hall *** or just cruse. With the 13-T on this 500 I would have a hard time pulling 6th but it is just right with the 12-17-20-17 :whoo::peace:

I ran a 12 for the first few rides on my KTM 450 and if you look closely at the cromo frame behind and under where the chain comes off the counter shaft sprocket you can see where the chain was contacting the MH kit I think because of the too small diameter of the 12 tooth. Just a heads up for something to keep an eye on with the 12 tooth.

M5

whistlerhawk

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2008
Whistler BC
Ryanexcr- I also have a '12 500 Exc. Good to hear you've figured out the gearing. Are you running the 121" or 137" track? I'm on total stock MH gearing (13, 17, 17, 20) with the 137". I haven't had much to complaint about, but then again, ignorance is bliss. If you're on a 137" then I'll try your gearing raios this weekend.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Ryanexcr- I also have a '12 500 Exc. Good to hear you've figured out the gearing. Are you running the 121" or 137" track? I'm on total stock MH gearing (13, 17, 17, 20) with the 137". I haven't had much to complaint about, but then again, ignorance is bliss. If you're on a 137" then I'll try your gearing raios this weekend.

I am on the 121" and my gearing setup of choice is the 12-17-20-17, I feel the bike pulls longer in all gears with this setup. With the stock 13-17-17-20 setup 1ST and 2ND was not even used I could almost start out in 3RD but I usually just started in 2ND. You could try your 13 in place of the 12 in this setup but I found it just a little to tall. I don't think it matters that much between the LT and ST. Please post your results if you change anything up. :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Tried and Liked

Well, I was able to test the 12-17-20-17 on Friday. No doubt about it, it ripped.
I felt it was just a hair too tall for the Husaberg 570 gearing, so I am going back off a bit and try the 13-17-17-16 combination as I have all the sprockets and it's an easy switch combination. Keep in mind I'm running a 137in track also.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
So Ozzy let me know if you get the 17-16 gearing to work I thought I tried that but the chain was then to long in the case and I did not want to cut a new one.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
I ran a 12 for the first few rides on my KTM 450 and if you look closely at the cromo frame behind and under where the chain comes off the counter shaft sprocket you can see where the chain was contacting the MH kit I think because of the too small diameter of the 12 tooth. Just a heads up for something to keep an eye on with the 12 tooth.

M5

I checked and I seem to have plenty of clearance but my chain is a little stretched so I could see that maybe with the tension wheel not pushed as far down as it is might have a chance at touching that spot on the kit.

Premium Features