• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bleeding hand brake PITA, help

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Have been running the foot brake only on my ST mtn horse. Decided to try the hand brake and bought the timbersled brake line. Worked two hrs tonight trying to get the lever to firm up. Had fluid flowing from line while hooking up to Wildwood cyl. AM using DOT 4. Has anyone used a large syringe and hose and pushed fluid from the bleed screw up to the master? This is a 2011 yz 450

C
Nov 18, 2012
Yes, back bleeding it is by far the easiest and fastest way. When I replaced the foot with the hand lever on my YZ, I fought it for a while until I back bled it.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
High spots in the line

We have had some trouble with this also. Found it helped to have no high spots in the line. Would take the MC off and hold higher to straighten any rises in the brake line and let the bubbles rise when bleeding. It worked.

V
Sep 22, 2008
Just pickup a brake bleed kit at Napa Auto just a few minutes and done well worth the money and its not a one time deal use will need it for summer time conversion to wheels

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Just used a small syring and pushed some fluid and had a firm handle right away? Thanks everyone!!! We really need some sticky threads for this stuff. Isn't mountain horse the moderator? He does a great job in the poo forum on stickies.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
The mountain horse moderator is not timber sled. Also you can run both your foot brake and your hand brake for about 105 bucks. Recluse makes a insert for your foot brake that works slick. I missed my foot brake after switching to the hand brake. If you decide to go this route call me. garry

E

ENERGIZER

Dec 19, 2011
Calgary Alberta Canada
Add 2nd Caliper rather than recluse

I added a second caliper and hooked it up to the stock hand brake master cylinder. This gives you two completly independent systems without adding another manufactures devices to the system. See my previos posts with pics and more detail.

Premium Features