• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When to Rebuild an XP???

A
Jul 6, 2009
I found an 08 Summit for a good deal but it has alot of miles on it (2700). I was wondering how many miles untile it will need a rebuild? Is there anything else I need to be worried about on a sled with this many miles? I know the cluches will need to be gone over, what about the shocks?

D

dieseldog800

Nov 24, 2005
Bancroft, Nebraska
I think I would do a new top end around 3000-3500 miles. How many miles do you put on in a year? If you ride alot, it may be wise to do a top end right away...They are not that expensive to do if you can do it yourself.

O
Aug 17, 2009
I found an 08 Summit for a good deal but it has alot of miles on it (2700). I was wondering how many miles untile it will need a rebuild? Is there anything else I need to be worried about on a sled with this many miles? I know the cluches will need to be gone over, what about the shocks?

It really depends on how the sled was cared for was it a rental ?....Shocks are typically what they are basic OEM shocks, the clutching should be tuned to your riding style and needs anyway, and always check the pressure in the cylinders i think the 2008's at 125# of psi but you might want to check with a dealer to verify.

Also inspect the track close for missing lugs.

OT

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
How has it been treated? Has it been thrashed on hard?

We have two xp's with over 3500 miles on them and they have been tortured pretty hard!! Neither one has ever had an issue with the factory pistons.

You could check the compression. Every gauge and every motor will check out differently but I would say at 1000 ft above sea level you should be somewhere 120lbs or more and fairly close cylinder to cylinder. I like to see it within 5 lbs but a little more is ok too.

If it were me and the sled looks to be in good condition, I think that I would run it for the year. Thats just me but I have not been seeing any of 800r engines going down due to pistons timing out.

JMO,

Jake

J
rebuild

:cool:I have 2500 miles on my 08 and it is great no trouble, still runs strong. never burnt a belt and I ride the crap out of it. The shocks were bagged out before I even rode it from new the fronts had next to nothing in them and the back squated like an old dog. Doo replaced the shocks once and refilled them twice. This year I am putting fox shocks on it.

My Xp 8 has 3600miles, Lots of " WIDE OPEN THROTTLE ". No problems, but I am at the least doo-in the rings this fall.
Get the ser.# and call it into your local dealer and have them check it out for you.

F
Oct 4, 2008
I hope that this question helps and I don't want to hijack your thread, but I am also wondering about rebuild time. Do the permanently packed and sealed crank bearings cause a bit of concern as opposed to the old style injection oil lubricated? I would think that the seals are the weakest link, if they fail and you lose the grease....bad times.

P

prairiepowderhead

Sep 1, 2008
Prairie
i own an xp, I havnt seen a sled go over 2500 miles without having motor trouble, usualy the crank bearings, but I saw a top end, when we were on rt's we only rode 2000-2500 before complete rebuild, or CA-BLEWWY

Premium Features