• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy death at Togwotte

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_...4rnUbLffFW7g29-y_7GDG9t82bkfrRZ38b83CYHPgrxT4

Man dies in avalanche near Togwotee

• By Emily Mieure
  • <time datetime="2019-03-04T16:04:00-07:00" class="tnt-date asset-date text-muted"> Mar 4, 2019 </time>Updated <time datetime="2019-03-04T16:04:58-07:00" class="tnt-date asset-date text-muted">3 hrs ago</time>

5c7dd02cee56e.image.jpg

<figure class="photo layout-horizontal hover-expand"><figcaption class="caption"> A 27-year-old man was killed Monday after being buried in an avalanche below the Breccia Cliffs near Togwotee Pass.
TETON COUNTY SEARCH AND RESCUE / COURTESY PHOTO

</figcaption>A 27-year-old man died Monday afternoon after being buried in an avalanche on the north side of Togwotee Pass near Breccia Cliffs.

Teton County Search and Rescue got the call at 2:51 p.m. and responded to the avalanche.

The man was snowmobiling with three friends when the avalanche was triggered, Sheriff Matt Carr said.

Witnesses told first responders that the snowmobiler was buried for five minutes before they could start CPR.

Revival efforts weren’t successful, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene just before 5 p.m. Monday.

Contact Emily Mieure at 732-7066, courts@jhnewsandguide.com or @JHNGcourts.

<figcaption class="caption"> </figcaption></figure>

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Every time I read these reports its a punch in the gut.

Thoughts to the friends and family. RIP

Please be safe out there.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Prayers for him and family. Sorry to have this happen.

Knw that area and even seen avalanches there on snowmobile videos.

A lot of avalanches there.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
He was a buddy of mine from Wisconsin. He was just sending me snapchats on Sunday while riding. So sad... They released his name this morning. I saw online when they posted yesterday when it happened but i didnt even begin to think it could've been him until now.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
He was a buddy of mine from Wisconsin. He was just sending me snapchats on Sunday while riding. So sad... They released his name this morning. I saw online when they posted yesterday when it happened but i didnt even begin to think it could've been him until now.

Sorry to hear that man, prayers for you and his family.

mc2stroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007

Very sorry to hear brother. My heart goes out to you and his family.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
I read the accident report and it stated that the rider did deploy his avalanche bag, but was still buried 3+ feet.

It's important that we all recognize this fact. Avalanche packs are an amazing piece of safety equipment, and if used correctly, greatly decrease the chance of burial in an avalanche. I believe every mountain rider should own an avy pack, however, riders need to avoid getting that false sense of security that comes from wearing one.

Think of your avy pack as a seatbelt in a car. Wearing a seatbelt greatly improves your chances of surviving a serious collision, but if you get t-boned by a Mack truck going 80mph...it probably won't make a difference.

My condolences to this rider's family. I hate hearing these stories, but it's important that we all learn from this accident.

Premium Features