• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch freezing up

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
-10F this past weekend when riding. After I got moving my clutch would get extremely stiff. After letting out the clutch lever it would take a a half second or so for the fluid to release and the clutch to engage. It's a magura hydraulic clutch in a Husaberg FE570 using mineral oil. I just rebuilt the slave and put fresh fluid in.

As soon as I stop and my coolant heated bars warm up the reservoir it's back to being buttery smooth and easy. My initial thoughts are moisture in the fluid, as the more I think of it I left the fluid in an open syringe for a week while I waited for a gasket.

I'll be changing the fluid next time I'm in front of the bike but wanted to see if this was an indication of something else.

M
Jan 14, 2004
It could actually be moisture in the pivot of the lever. If its that cold, which IMO is too friggin cold, throw a set of gauntlets on your bars they will keep in a ton of heat. Easy fast solution for super cold days and they are cheap to buy.

M5

B
Nov 29, 2018
I believe it's due to the mineral oil thickening in the cold temperatures. brake fluid becomes thicker at colder temperatures than mineral oil does. Warming up your master cylinder to make your clutch work again indicates that this may be the case. The hand guards sounds like a good idea. I would be interested in hearing if if that works for you. Good luck!

Premium Features