• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

recluse clutch wear

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Just bought a used recluse EXP 2.0 from a friend. Am wondering if there is a service limit measurement of thickness across the fiber pads on the disc? I will call their tech line tomorrow if noone knows. This came out of a snobike and was working great.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Yep, they have a service limit and you will probably need a micrometer to measure the thickness of the friction plate. I can't remember the name of the guy to talk to at Rekluse, but they have so far been unbelievably helpful in explaining in detail the service limits and caveats of the Core EXP 2.0.... and I bought mine used.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I bought a used Z-Start Pro to put in mine. Not so much for snow biking but for trail riding. My understanding is that while harder to install, it is a bit smoother engagement. I also learned that the EXP needs to have the Rekluse cover as you need all the friction plates for the Timbersled where if you use the stock cover, you have to ditch a few plates, which might not take the loads induced by the TS.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I bought a used Z-Start Pro to put in mine. Not so much for snow biking but for trail riding. My understanding is that while harder to install, it is a bit smoother engagement. I also learned that the EXP needs to have the Rekluse cover as you need all the friction plates for the Timbersled where if you use the stock cover, you have to ditch a few plates, which might not take the loads induced by the TS.

The Core EXP is for heavier loads. The Z Start is not recommended for those. You need a new cover for the Core EXP because the clutch stack is that much"taller". They will handle more load than you will ever put against it. They work awesome and are the recommended model for the snow bikes.

The EXP does not need a new clutch cover, the core EXP does.

FWIW, I have put 5 snowbike / dirt seasons on a z-pro, and haven't needed new plates, our had any issues yet. That includes a lot of towing of other snowbikes. I'm very impressed with the durability.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks, that is good to know. When I talked to Recluse they recommended the Core EXP, so that is what I bought. Very pricey! ouch... It is still going strong on Rush's bike now. It is good to know the Z Start will work fine. I am going to buy another one for my Son and Daughters bike. That will save some $

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I did mean the Core EXP, not the EXP, thanks for clarifying.

But yes, I think the Core EXP is a bit stronger and better for a dedicated snow bike. But I believe that it is a bit more aggressive and motorcross oriented, which I guess is why it is good for snow bikes. The Z-Start Pro on the other hand is a bit softer engagement, which a noob like myself might find better in the trails in summer. Recognizing of course that either can be tuned. I just didn't want to spend the money on a new Core EXP plus larger cover when I could get a used Z-Start with the Megura lever for $250 - score!!! :D

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
One other thing to note: I would highly recommend getting a left hand brake for summer time trail riding and winter snowbiking. Make a huge difference having the hand brake. I completely got rid of the rear foot brake.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
No matter what anyone tells you the Z star pro is still the best product recluse ever made . The EXP and Core EXP are cheaper to build and lighter but will never be a Zstar pro. Tried them all and there is no comparison Z star all the way here.

Sorry Recluse guys the EXP unit is a cheaper unit that comes close to the original but never matched the Z star pro in any way.:cheer2:

Buy the way love the product.

Premium Features