• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Older mountainhorse kits

oscar

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Im looking to buy a used mountainhorse kit for my 450. Just curious if there are known problems to look at with the older models? Weak links that may have been updated with the newer mountainhorse. I thought i had seen some articles about the gears and chains wearing out premature? Thanks for any info.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Issues

The first year had aluminum sprockets and a bad chain when new. If you replaced the chain asap the sprockets would last a couple of seasons.
Also the cross shafts would wear quickly unless greased often.
Both items were upgraded on the second seasons kit.

The first two years had bearing issues and needed to be replaced at least once a season. This item was updated with greasable bearings on the new kits and can be retrofited to all MH kits.

The MH snowbike kit is solid, well built, with quality materials and will give years of service with few problems. Maintance is important on all equipment.

oscar

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
A 2010 mountainhorse is what has my attention. I would imagine that a person could get the newer sprockets and chains from timbersled to update the kit? I woud agree that every machine needs maintenence. Thanks

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
A 2010 mountainhorse is what has my attention. I would imagine that a person could get the newer sprockets and chains from timbersled to update the kit?

Steel sprockets are avaibable from TS as are the chains. The brearing upgrade is avaibable from TS also.

You can also purchase a high quality (made in Japan) "0" or "X" ring 520 motorcycle chain with 140 links that will be long enough to replace both MH chains.

The 2010 kit had Fox Float air shocks the later kits had coil over shocks.
The coil over's ride better but are difficult to change pre load on the trail.

Nothing wrong with the 2010 MH kit. Welcome to the fun world of snow bikes.

oscar

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Thanks for the information guys! Now i just need to buy one with a fit kit and update some things!

Premium Features