• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 ETEC review

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
what are you guys seeing for track speeds? i rode with an 872 163'' last weekend (both 2014 model sleds).

872 with rooster clutching, 20T top gear, stock track was seeing 47-48 mph track speed

my stock 800 with DJ mountain ramps and primary spring (secondary is stock), 7T drivers, 21T top gear, 163x3 track, about 75lb heavier rider.......i saw 40-41 mph speeds on the same hill. i expected to see more of a difference. there are a few variables there, but i figured with my 3'' track and 75 more lbs of rider weight, there would be more difference.

we did a little drag race on some packed down snow as well. i thought this was even more embarrassing for the 872. sure he beat me, but not by very much. i figured he'd be at least 4-5 sled lengths in front of me by the time we hit 65mph...........i was wrong. i know this doesnt serve much purpose on a mountain sled, but dont tell you you've never done it.

Last edited:

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Pop a 21 top gear in the 872, harness the torque of the 872 through clutching and watch the gap between the 800 and 872 grow. 550+ miles on the 872, have had to add grams of primary weight through the breakin process. Now putting a 3 track under it

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
what are you guys seeing for track speeds? i rode with an 872 163'' last weekend (both 2014 model sleds).

872 with rooster clutching, 20T top gear, stock track was seeing 47-48 mph track speed

my stock 800 with DJ mountain ramps and primary spring (secondary is stock), 7T drivers, 21T top gear, 163x3 track, about 75lb heavier rider.......i saw 40-41 mph speeds on the same hill. i expected to see more of a difference. there are a few variables there, but i figured with my 3'' track and 75 more lbs of rider weight, there would be more difference.

we did a little drag race on some packed down snow as well. i thought this was even more embarrassing for the 872. sure he beat me, but not by very much. i figured he'd be at least 4-5 sled lengths in front of me by the time we hit 65mph...........i was wrong. i know this doesnt serve much purpose on a mountain sled, but dont tell you you've never done it.

Sounds about right for an extra 25 hp.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Sounds about right for an extra 25 hp.

i had my mind on the $$$ side of things rather than the HP. maybe the 872 will get stronger and she breaks in. i dont know how many miles were on the big bore, but he was about 80% through break in (gauge cluster said 2x% left). for my buddy's sake, i hope it gets better. i kind of got the vibe from him that "he didnt quite see the difference that everyone else claims they do". im not trying to bad mouth the engine......im just sharing my thoughts after riding 3 days with a guy that has one.

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska

I see 49-55 mph usually. More if the snow is dry. I used to see 37-42 mph.

Making comparisons of mountain sleds clutched for the mountains, racing on flat ground...no, it doesn't serve much purpose. 10mph track speed difference is 25% gain in trackspeed. Around the same area of a pump gas turbo, but zero tuning a fuel box or replacing reeds every 500 miles. We rode 3-5 feet of powder all weekend and most riders in our group were making comments on how well the 872 runs and how the difference is very clear.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
the race was on flat ground, in the mountains at 10,000 feet.........where they are clutched for.

your comparison from alaska means nothing either. aren't you really low elevation there?

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
I think there is some performance left on the table with the currant gearing and clutching that is in the 872, there is only a couple mph difference in the two machines as far as gearing goes. Curious when you put them beside each other
Was it from a roll or dead stop. Also is your speedo calibrated for the 7 tooth drivers

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Started both ways.

7T drivers and 21T gear is close to stock gearing so the speedo is close (or so i was told)

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
You now have a base comparison between the two sleds so start playing with the 872, I think when you find out what the 872 can pull for clutching and gearing you will see a difference from your currant results.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
the race was on flat ground, in the mountains at 10,000 feet.........where they are clutched for.

your comparison from alaska means nothing either. aren't you really low elevation there?

We rode from sea level to 6000 feet this week. So now Alaska doesn't mean anything? I was simply insinuating that drag racing sleds calibrated for optimal back shift and deep snow doesn't make for a very good control in an experiment or test. I am not here for a pissing match, this was a simple post explaining our experiences. We ride some of the deepest snow, the steepest snow, and the biggest vertical gains in riding area in the world. If you think Alaska is irrelevant...maybe you should Google this little place called Valdez..slight amount of snow fall per year

DBBC9799-89C0-4338-94AF-C488E2123097_zps50ncu3cd.jpg
[/URL]

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
should have clarified my statement..........your track speed is irrelevant compared to ours. you are making more power at lower elevation than we are at 10k. i dont want a pissing match either :thumb:

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
should have clarified my statement..........your track speed is irrelevant compared to ours. you are making more power at lower elevation than we are at 10k. i dont want a pissing match either :thumb:

Gotcha. Well, stock XM's we rode with last weekend were pulling 38-40ish track speed and I was always right below or right above 50 mph. In 3-5 feet of powder.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
There is big gains over stock when clutched properly great to see your getting it dialed in cheers

You can say the same about a stock sled. Big bores make more power. I just don't think that the gain is quite what some on here claim when compared to a dialed in stock machine.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
A properly clutched and gear 800 compared to the same in a big bore is a noticeable.
as is a 600 to a 800
in your earlier post you stated about right for 25 HP, about the same from a 600 class
sled to a 800 class sled, makes me wonder why we waste the extra money on a 800?
when the ol 600 would be right there

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Had a discussion with split second this last week on the etec, he said he quit doing the bb since he has only found a 3hp increase with it over the stock bore ported etec..

He dynos the stock etec at 142hp at his elevation, with a y pipe mod and his stock porting he is at 160after, even a bit bitter with twin pipes, when he does a 860bb on the etec he is at 163hp..

Talking with another guy that did the 872, a few years back he said he felt a big difference over the stock etec and loved the machine, but recently tried the tss turbo and said it was just a entire different feel of tq and power.. He was so impressed he bought a new sled and installed a tss on it

Comes down to what your after and how much you want to spend, and when to stop..

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.

Just an observation, maybe someone already mentioned this.... With the 7t drivers your speedo will read 8% higher than actual speed. So an indicated 40 is really closer to 37mph. So seeing 10 mph more on the same hill is very significant. Gearing has no effect on speedo as it senses driveshaft speed only.
If the 872 is still in break in, it will get stronger. Even after that it will likely continue to run better until he gets about 400 miles in it. I have heard this from several customers as they have had to add pin weight.
Finding that sweet spot between clutching and gearing to take advantage of the added power is also critical. A tooth on gearing or a gram of weight can make a significant difference and it may take some experimentation to find what works best for a particular sled.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Just an observation, maybe someone already mentioned this.... With the 7t drivers your speedo will read 8% higher than actual speed. So an indicated 40 is really closer to 37mph. So seeing 10 mph more on the same hill is very significant. Gearing has no effect on speedo as it senses driveshaft speed only.
If the 872 is still in break in, it will get stronger. Even after that it will likely continue to run better until he gets about 400 miles in it. I have heard this from several customers as they have had to add pin weight.
Finding that sweet spot between clutching and gearing to take advantage of the added power is also critical. A tooth on gearing or a gram of weight can make a significant difference and it may take some experimentation to find what works best for a particular sled.

Nailed it

Premium Features