• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T3 174 overheating on the trail...

T
Aug 8, 2011
They work so good in those conditions!

However 3 of us, all with 174 t3 sleds had to ride 8 miles of nasty frozen up trail today and all 3 sleds over heated bad bad. Packing snow in the coolers every couple miles. Temp lights on and bells going off. And we had scratchers down, feet dragging..

My 13 probably would have turned a light on in the same conditions. But it would have been a fraction of the hassle as the new sled. It's my only complaint with the sled so far. She warms up quickly when the trail gets hard

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
You t3 guys might want to look into a thermostat housing. I got one from Dave Trygstad and it is unreal how cool my sled runs. I was heat cycling my motor the other night to break in the new top end and it seemed to take forever to get it hot. I think one of these would be the ticket for you guys.

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
Thermostat

Will only help a sled warm up, not keep it cool.
Wondering if the new style scratchers aren't as effective or maybe the coolers should have been left as is?

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
Not 100% sure but I believe Trygstad is a housing only and no thermostat.
So will do nothing for warm up other than to take longer and run cooler .

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Did you trim the stock flap?

I run 2 sets of scratchers on my 3" track with a stock flap that is not trimmed. I had a trimmed flap before I bought the 3" and it was overheating all the time... replaced it with a stock one and all probs went away.

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
U may want to try one before speaking, I have and they work.
Here's my take on a thermostat:
A thermostat simply opens and closes to a preset temp. Once an engine exceeds that temp, the thermostat is open and has no more effect on temp of the engine.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
A thermostat doesn't just open and close, it is variable, and will maintain engine temperature, not just cycle up and down. Also, cooling systems are far more efficient when there is a differential pressure in the system. Having a slight restriction at the outlet of the engine causes higher pressure in the block, which discourages pump cavitation, and pockets of air forming in the block, and a slower flow allows more heat transfer to the cooling medium. So, indeed, a thermostat can make an engine run cooler.

Sent From God Knows Where...

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
"And we had scratchers down, feet dragging.."

I was picturing your feet dragging on an icy trail and I was wondering how this method worked out for you and your boots?

T
Aug 8, 2011
"And we had scratchers down, feet dragging.."

I was picturing your feet dragging on an icy trail and I was wondering how this method worked out for you and your boots?

Lol

I just drag when I'm off the side of the trail and the snow is hard and smooth..helps a little. Hard on boots. And you need to be careful about your knees..

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Are the t3 running 3 less litres than the 14s for coolant, and how much less rad.....

Easy way to lose weight but very critical on hard snow with the three inch, not sure if I would spare cooling there

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I also saw this on the T3 last year. It got hot fast on the trail.

Regarding the Tstat id like to know how the stat keeps an engine cool if its full open at its specified temp ? Sure its variable, but its closed until it reaches a certain temp and then modulates open to closed depending on coolant temp. If the stat is rated at 150F and the coolant is 200F the stat is full open and the coolant temp is at the mercy of snow hitting the cooler. Sorry but your stat is now useless in this scenario.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
So they didn't use the shorter cooler in the T3 ? I see the part number is different. I haven't looked on the production model yet just the proto demos.

Premium Features