• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wha do you guys reccomend for big bores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I understand that everyone wants the most bang for their buck (me included) but for a few less hp, SHR also offers a 860 Etec that he thinks would require slightly less fuel? More cylinder wall (if that's a concern), and a proven top end package.
While I do not know these gents directly, I do know indirectly that some locals have some BB Etec's local (1600' elevation) and there have been issues keeping them running. Self Inflicted or Vendor? My guess is as good as yours.

The best thing you could do is call each of these guys up and have a chat with them. Let them know what you are actually looking for and what your setup would be. Each will probably give you a different level of confidence. They did for me. At the end of the day, you have to feel comfortable with the supplier you choose..the likelihood of you corresponding with them once you have the parts installed is high - if you don't feel comfortable with them, you're probably set for frustration from the get go. I doubt any of these guys are hacks...they have all built great motors and have likely all had a few bad apples as well.

Last edited:

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
X3 call all of them.

I've had great experiences with SHR. My 880 arrived with a broken motor mount plate thanks to the UPS guy. Called up BJ and I had a new one sitting on my door step the next day at no charge to me.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
The only problem I see is that when comparing big bore machines to stockers, there are too many variables to say the big bore is that much better than stock. This might upset a few people but here goes. Stockers are usually stock, meaning no clutching, suspension work, gearing or dialing in of any kind. Now the big bore machine has different clutching, track, suspension work and has way more attention to detail than the stocker. What I'm getting at is if you take a stocker and big bore machine and do everything the same and the only difference is the motor, the difference in performance is less noticeable. Don't get me wrong, the big bore will still probably beat the stock motor, just not as bad as some think.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Be nice to see a chart with all 3 side by side...

.... maybe list hp, bore size, pistons (cast or forged), warranty time, price, fuel selection, compression, etc...

Ace

That would be a great idea, but I think it would be tuff to do with all the different variables and choices that are available, meaning piston type/CR/etc....They all offer custom packages.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The only problem I see is that when comparing big bore machines to stockers, there are too many variables to say the big bore is that much better than stock. This might upset a few people but here goes. Stockers are usually stock, meaning no clutching, suspension work, gearing or dialing in of any kind. Now the big bore machine has different clutching, track, suspension work and has way more attention to detail than the stocker. What I'm getting at is if you take a stocker and big bore machine and do everything the same and the only difference is the motor, the difference in performance is less noticeable. Don't get me wrong, the big bore will still probably beat the stock motor, just not as bad as some think.

Yup I'll put my stock bore indy Dan motor against any rktek 858 in a pro rmk.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Yup I'll put my stock bore indy Dan motor against any rktek 858 in a pro rmk.

well... that's sure not exactly fair either :D

Can't say that after being a cat guy for so long that any of the BB doos impress me that much... all the builders just got SOOO much more from the cat than the doo, it's all that has kept me from doing a big bore on my XM's.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
There was a post in the cat section last year regarding an 872 Xm and a prolite 900. If i remember correctly the fellow had a prolite 900 and his son had the 872 Xm and from their testing the 872 beat the prolite 900 every time no matter who was riding either sled. Hopefully the fellow chimes in but pretty impressive as the prolite is quiet a bit lighter and known for good power out of the Bikeman 900.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
There was a post in the cat section last year regarding an 872 Xm and a prolite 900. If i remember correctly the fellow had a prolite 900 and his son had the 872 Xm and from their testing the 872 beat the prolite 900 every time no matter who was riding either sled. Hopefully the fellow chimes in but pretty impressive as the prolite is quiet a bit lighter and known for good power out of the Bikeman 900.

Having ridden both, something was SERIOUSLY wrong with that 900. It's got a solid 15 hp & 40+ less lbs than an xm. (I'm not a bikeman fan, but the prolite is an insane machine unless somehow it's set up WAY wrong)

The only issue with the prolites is that the 153 stands up non stop like a 141 (which I enjoy, but not ideal for a race) and in general a doo will usually be better in a drag race on flat, just the norm, doos pull well in drags.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I did a lot of research slowly (im not that swift) over the years to gain more knowledge about engines. Jim Czekla (dynotech jim) helped me gain the ability to raise hard questions by way of some due-diligence-diggin and data mining.
This is a speech i give to someone about engines back a few years ago...
You must do due diligence which involves researching the performance of said engine mod at-the-builder and ask tough questions. How tough is it going to be for you to expend the time/effort/energy to dish out $2000~$2500 of your money to buy something that has the performance or quality which hardly changes from stock? Then you should have tough questions that the builder should answer honestly. That is not $2000, that is literally $2500 if your hours/labor because to make that 2 grand you also had to pay your partner the IRS….that is heavy cash.

validate conformance owner to engine requirements
checklist for owner
remedy for certain problems
not merely "serve and collect"

I showed up with more $$$ and picked up my 872 Last friday. Heck with it, I bought a whole top end. Gonna stick my 800e stocker on the shelf since it only has about 2 minutes on it.
I expect to be able to take this 872 and transfer it from sled to sled in the future.
Now im lookin at a new 154 and tossing and turning about getting another 872 and plopping it on too.

How's that for a s4it-eating grin! :face-icon-small-hap
OH...I also joined crossfit so I can lose about 40 lbs and be able to do toes-to-bar again. I ain't sitting around anymore because im out of breath and being jealous of other guys making tracks where I wanted to go.

Does Dave look like he could be my big brother? HAHA
410221028.jpg

Last edited:
N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
860 etec turbo

SHR 860 etec (turbo specific build) going in my aerocharged T3 163". I should be starting the tear down next week. The theory is all there but time will tell whether its worth it or not :face-icon-small-win

How about we get this BB thread onto something productive, which BB is best to Turbo?:face-icon-small-blu

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
As for BB vs stock and all the mods that go with???

2013/14/15 XM
SHR BB motor
Gear up 1 tooth
Full pin in stock primary clutch
Doo 4* helix/doo * spring in secondary

Hands down walks a stocker...

Only mods required are the ones required for 25 more hp

Sigh....BJ

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
What happened to real big bores anyway they all seem so cookie cutter these days with what 60-70 CCS com-mon someone build some big power! Two pipes cacklein

I miss the sound of those 1150 Cutlers full tilt on a climb. Now there was big bore power.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
The old cat 1100/1200s were 190 hp at best... I can match that with a 880/single pipe��

I have 860/880 carb/twin pipe motors on the hill...for years��

Custom cylinders/heads make for expensive kits...using the stock cylinder gives you the best bang for the buck...180+ hp for under $1900 ��

It's all in the details, extensive hand porting, specific head mods, using the best piston, mocking up every motor to VERIFY all clearances and operations before box n ship (nobody else does this) then supply a full gasket set and a detailed build sheet to insure proper installation and "paper work" on what you have��

��BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Yup,with a few Accessories (y,timing,air box,can,fuel)...

I pulled the 925 from the S chassis and built a triple REV, in 2007/2008 it was a 205 hp, 475 lb, 162/2.5, timber sled suspended mountain machine!!...a friend bought it so I still get see/ride it once a year��

And yes powderboy/everyone...the infamous OT has been lurking/stirring the pot as DPG..

Every message approved by the one and only Big John/SHR

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Does that trygstad 872 kit run on 91 octane? Is clutch work required? I really want to keep my sled pump gas friendly but extra power is always fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features