• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Well... I was on the fence for a bit.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
My 13 146 took a rock to the front cooler & I took a hit to the front end at the same time. Easy fix, but having good insurance I decided to make what I thought was going to be a simple claim.

Ended up being a 9k claim, as there was very minor damage to some rather pricey parts... in our world, it's called wear & tear, in insurance land, it's called EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!

They ended up totaling my 13... not real happy about it. Since I can't re-insure it without wasting tons of $$ fixing it to 100% first, I was in the market for another sled.

Went out on sat & had a killer day on a 14 cat. My local dealer is awesome & Power World gave me a demo (0 mile sled) that I could ride all day to get comfy with it 100%

Fit & finish on the 14... HUGE step up from the 12, I also got the non snopro, as it fixes what IMO is hugely lacking on that sled... post position. it's way too far back for me, the laydown, even set inline with post is further forward.

I took it to a few hits to get a feel for it, took a bit, but it actually jumps better than my doo imo, and DEFINITELY lands better, even with minimal suspension setup.

Straight hits, it flies level, feels like a darn JART... just goes where you point it. This drop went down hill a ways to a crappy landing, and on my doo I think I would have quit about 5 landings earlier. Even the bombhole hits felt better.
1509795_10152572625908146_1318930475_n.jpg

Whip/ hip type hits, it was similar to the doo, not as easy to bring back, but easier to land poorly (yeah... I do that a lot, it's good to have something you're good at :D )
1549416_10201437090951271_1853805249_n.jpg

(family photo, apparently I ride too slow as Abby had already landed)
995019_10151590220247325_1713931531_n.jpg

At that point I was feeling VERY in tune with that sled, REALLY liked it. I was really thinking about switching back to it.

Then we spent some time in the trees.

(yeah... this is how I usually ride...) Btw, I'm standing up in this shot, to give an idea how much snow there was.
1520826_10201437107591687_1457533608_n.jpg

1604446_10201437107351681_790160019_n.jpg

1501682_10201448595038866_828467705_n.jpg

1560466_10201448595358874_1834969123_n.jpg

You'll notice it's nothing too steep or technical... I tried easing my way up in my lines, but despite riding it all morning & feeling AWESOME on the sled... as soon as I was going across the hill or down the hill, it just didn't feel good. The XM has a very "round bottom" kind of feel that makes it feel smooth a a number of different angles... it slips a bit at steep sidehills compared to the M, but I've learned to under sidehill it a tad in those situations (leaning the opposite of normal, to back off sled angle to the hill a bit)

Sled would dive, and fight me in downhill turns... I just couldn't get it to feel good unless I was going uphill. (feels awesome uphill btw, very controllable side to side with foot pressure, fore & aft movement very predictable on uphill biased sidehills)

At the end of the day, my back hurts, my elbows are PISSSSSSED at me, my neck is sore as SH**, the bars on the sled are bent, and I walked into Power World... and walked out with another 146 XM. Had you asked me at noon, you would have got a totally different answer compared to the end of the day.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
nice, but this is the xm forum. maybe try posting this in the cat section, cause I could really care less how a cat rides.

and your kinda just opening your self up for a bashing from doo riders. next!

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
nice, but this is the xm forum. maybe try posting this in the cat section, cause I could really care less how a cat rides.

I'm fine with it.Lol:face-icon-small-coo

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Good read

I enjoy reading what other DOO riders think of the other mountain sleds. I have not had the chance to ride a new Cat yet but would like to. I ride a modified 09 summit, couple weeks ago I took my sons 13 PRO RMK ( since mine was down for more modding) rode it all day and never felt comfotable on it. At the end of the day rode my buddies new 14 XM , felt right at home. Most likely because I am used to the DOO s ergos and steering. Would like to try the Cat just because the Cat dealer is top notch and has always taken care of me when I was riding cat back in 03. Fred

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Not terribly concerned about doo fanbois bashing me. I ride a doo, I like the doo, it's the sled I feel is the most ideal for me right now... so I just bought another one.

As to the post... it's a "COMPARISON" google that word for future reference :p

Having had a pos 12 cat... the 14 has some big improvements, but it still feels like a 4 stroke to me. Fun under power, but feels heavy otherwise.

Yeah... more review than comparison, but there's enough of us here that are converts that I thought it was appropriate... hope I didn't hurt your feelers.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

Without trying something else, maybe you are just under riding yours and just think it is the greatest. Thank god the manufacturers evaluate them all and go from there.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I enjoy reading what other DOO riders think of the other mountain sleds. I have not had the chance to ride a new Cat yet but would like to. I ride a modified 09 summit, couple weeks ago I took my sons 13 PRO RMK ( since mine was down for more modding) rode it all day and never felt comfotable on it. At the end of the day rode my buddies new 14 XM , felt right at home. Most likely because I am used to the DOO s ergos and steering. Would like to try the Cat just because the Cat dealer is top notch and has always taken care of me when I was riding cat back in 03. Fred

If by chance you do... try to ride a standard M8 with the doo style steering, it needs a post forward to feel like an XM, but who knows you might like it. I wouldn't even think of buying a standard but the laydown steering is cheap to swap and even saves some weight.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

ApeSh*tBananas

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2008
Conway
Your 146 setup

If you're not interested... click that back button brother... no big deal.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Interested in how you set your suspension up on your 146"? I need to get this thing dialed in and can't find any information, most setups are for the 154" and 163"

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Im happy you posted the comparison. Anyone who isnt interested in hearing an honest review about other sleds needs to take the damn doo blinders off. I am currently sledless, and am completely open to all 4 brands for my new one. Thanks for the great review. :)

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
Backcountry appreciate the review.
I enjoy hearing about all brands even if this is a doo forum.
Nice to see someone familiar with xm give an honest review of its short falls and benefits of other brands. Xm is a great sled but no sled is perfect... Yet...

A
Dec 19, 2011
You should buy back your wrecked sled from the insurance company. A guy on dootalk just went through the same thing. He ended up buying his tweaked wrecked xm freeride back for 1800$

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You should buy back your wrecked sled from the insurance company. A guy on dootalk just went through the same thing. He ended up buying his tweaked wrecked xm freeride back for 1800$

Wrecked DEFINITELY isn't the proper term for my sled... the skis are back a bit, but shocks are basically centered in the a arm, and there are a few dings in the underside of the tunnel. Wen I say hit to the front, I should have said bottom... I hit a rock on the inside of the brake guard, which is the tunnel... IMO that minimal hit is what jacked this whole thing out of proportion.

Bought it back for $2400, going to replace the front cooler, put my 14 hood on it, put my 14 skis on it, and sell it. I'd GLADLY keep it & ride it, but I won't ride without insurance.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Interested in how you set your suspension up on your 146"? I need to get this thing dialed in and can't find any information, most setups are for the 154" and 163"

What I want from my sleds may be a bit different... I want it to stand up, not keep the skis on the snow, so the way I set up my sleds can be a bit contrary to others.

I'm 190 & ride with an ABS pack with pretty bare bones survival gear.
I've got limiter out one notch from stock, center shock at 5, torsions at 2

I've got float 3's on front, and have them set at about 48 psi, but I'll be changing the oil from 5wt to 7 wt & dropping them to 42ish soon.

I tend to set sag with the center shock... that's the shock you stand on, then I use the rear to set transfer. I almost never tail land unless I knuckle a hit like a doofus, so this setup works well for me. I'll be putting my 3's on the 14 unless the buyer wants them, and I'll be picking up some X skid shocks and valving them up a ways so they're a bit slower. 2 would be much more ideal with more damping, but I'd prefer not to just increase oil weight so rebound is still fast, I want that POP off a lip, and I use it in other places quite a bit as well.

One thing I found funny, I expected to ride the 153 & be impressed compared to the 146 in the deep... if anything the 146 is a little better, but that was a 2.25 track. All in all, I'm just really happy with this length. it's got the fun factor I want, without needing a monster motor to be able to go places. I'm glad I got another one!!

Premium Features