• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Launch little jump, sled wont move

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
So I haven't run into this before. Few weeks ago my brother was out touring the countryside (2013 pro rmk 800 163 around 2000 miles on it). Launched off a little snowpile onto the road. Were talking maybe 3' high.

As soon as he landed, the sled wouldn't go anymore. Said he heard a kind of whirring sound coming from the clutch. Tried revving it up a couple times, but said it wouldn't move and there was smoke coming from the clutch. Sat there for an hour inspecting things and couldn't find anything. Finally got a buddy to come pick him up, threw sled in back of the truck and brought it home.

Now I'm helping him figure it out. I went and looked at it. Inspected track, driveshaft, QD belt, clutch etc. Couldn't find anything wrong, so I fired it up. Seems to drive just fine. I only went a few feet in the shop, and had him lift the back while I revved it up a few times. Everything seems fine to me.

So I'm really scratching my head. I can see the clutch rollers are probably due for replacement. Maybe a whole clutch rebuild. But I don't understand how the sled wouldn't move, but once back in the shop it seems to work just fine.

Also the whirring noise disappeared. I never heard it before, but my sister also confirmed that it did sound a little strange when it happened.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
So I haven't run into this before. Few weeks ago my brother was out touring the countryside (2013 pro rmk 800 163 around 2000 miles on it). Launched off a little snowpile onto the road. Were talking maybe 3' high.

As soon as he landed, the sled wouldn't go anymore. Said he heard a kind of whirring sound coming from the clutch. Tried revving it up a couple times, but said it wouldn't move and there was smoke coming from the clutch. Sat there for an hour inspecting things and couldn't find anything. Finally got a buddy to come pick him up, threw sled in back of the truck and brought it home.

Now I'm helping him figure it out. I went and looked at it. Inspected track, driveshaft, QD belt, clutch etc. Couldn't find anything wrong, so I fired it up. Seems to drive just fine. I only went a few feet in the shop, and had him lift the back while I revved it up a few times. Everything seems fine to me.

So I'm really scratching my head. I can see the clutch rollers are probably due for replacement. Maybe a whole clutch rebuild. But I don't understand how the sled wouldn't move, but once back in the shop it seems to work just fine.

Also the whirring noise disappeared. I never heard it before, but my sister also confirmed that it did sound a little strange when it happened.

Any ideas?

I’ve sucked rocks up into the tunnel by the track before and had that happen. Doesn’t sound like that happened. Iceblock? Did the brake lever get engaged? The belt burn points that direction. There is one more scenario with a belt drive. Jumping off the bank onto the road may have thrown a chunk of ice in between the belt and lower pulley. Dead stop.

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I’ve sucked rocks up into the tunnel by the track before and had that happen. Doesn’t sound like that happened. Iceblock? Did the brake lever get engaged? The belt burn points that direction. There is one more scenario with a belt drive. Jumping off the bank onto the road may have thrown a chunk of ice in between the belt and lower pulley. Dead stop.
Good points. And would explain why I cant find anything now.

I was even pondering to myself if he coulda hit the reverse button. Don't think he would got the brake as he is a very experienced dirt biker. I have hit the reverse once or twice myself tho.

Clutch looks decent for 2000 miles. But I was wondering if the center bushing or something else could wear enough for it to stick momentarily; although I've never run into it.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I wonder if the shock load from the landing sucked the secondary clutch open and it was jammed up and didnt close. If that happens, when the primary opens back up at idle the belt will have way too much slack in it and the sled wont move.

I would check over both clutches very close.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I wonder if the shock load from the landing sucked the secondary clutch open and it was jammed up and didnt close. If that happens, when the primary opens back up at idle the belt will have way too much slack in it and the sled wont move.

I would check over both clutches very close.
Another good point, thanks!

I have been thru both clutches now, and they seem fine.

However, I did notice this in the primary clutch (pic attached). Don't really understand how it's possible for the end of the flyweight to contact the spider. But I can see that it did. No idea how recently tho...

Theres three pics, but its only of one spot. Just couldn't tell which was the clearest.

Those two little scratches....
a756ce5b36f487a989dd3d05792eeaa6.jpg
74ee6ea09a80b311fd8f1c31ac72b5c0.jpg
2dccb5bf7274eb6b4581b6dbce7da6bc.jpg

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Check the weight pin bushing.
Will do. I would not have thought the weights were close enough that a few thou of wear would let it hit spider.

Also Tony, think it'll be worth venturing out Friday and Saturday at TOW?

Premium Features