• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XPS Oil

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
whats the deal ladies? I have not said a word. :crazy:

I wish you would instead of choosing to communicate like teenage girl on facebook.

Ihateliberries.JPG

It really is a nice library. I don't know what's not to like. :D

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
whats the deal ladies? I have not said a word. :crazy:

Either way man, thanks for getting some info from the mfg... knowing where they stand for real shows us that they don't have a leg to stand on if they claim that a customer is using an oil that's not up to par.

Either way... those that want to run xps and can get it for a decent price... go for it, those that want to use something else for whatever reason... go for that too. I would have said that anyone using junk oil better watch their butt, but the comments by brp seem to make that hard to see how they would be able to claim an issue is oil related. I'd assume a non synthetic could be an issue, as that's straightforward... but that aside I don't see it.

Guys in Canuckistan... do you guys have any laws that are similar to our Magnussen (sp?) Moss act up there? Could that be part of the deal... that up there they CAN enforce that there but not here?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm still really hoping to see this BRP oil testing lab where the oil samples from warranty claims get analyzed.

It just sounds so EVIL!!
I bet it's just like on CSI!

R
Nov 9, 2011
Legal clarification on the US side

I asked a lawyer friend who has had the opportunity to study the Magnusson Moss act to simplify and clarify what it means to us. This is what he said:

"The act states, use the product specified by the manufacturer or an equivalent or you could void your warranty.
Burden to determine equivalent is on the consumer, not the manufacture.
If it is determined that they did not use an equivalent, they are in breach of warranty."

Just some additional facts to help frame this discussion.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I asked a lawyer friend who has had the opportunity to study the Magnusson Moss act to simplify and clarify what it means to us. This is what he said:

"The act states, use the product specified by the manufacturer or an equivalent or you could void your warranty.
Burden to determine equivalent is on the consumer, not the manufacture.
If it is determined that they did not use an equivalent, they are in breach of warranty."

Just some additional facts to help frame this discussion.

SO, if the MFG gives no rating or standard to their own product, what is it that someone would have to prove??

Either way... still not one single person has said they've had a warranty issue because of oil, which makes this kind of a moot point.

R
Nov 9, 2011
More clarification on Moss – Magnusson

Based on case studies the following is how this would play out:

If their is no standard it is up to consumer to get OEM oil and their aftermarket oil analyzed and from that you can make a determination if they are the same.

The reason there is no standard for Recreation engines is that the individual OEM's have applied the latest two-stroke technology quite differently, creating different appetites and require different oils.

R
Mar 16, 2010
Anyone using lucas snowmobile oil.

No, the BRP Warranty Enforcement Division will come to your house & confiscate your snowmobile.

No one dares use Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

errr, wait, wrong subgroup.

uhh, if you use anything but BRP you'll die without warranty.

That is all.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Anyone using lucas snowmobile oil.

You know... a bunch of dirtbike guys I know run lucas, I've run it in my wife's kx100, but I don't know anyone who runs it in their sled oddly enough. Lucas makes good stuff in general, so I wonder how it compares.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Bring up an old thread. What's everyone using in the ETEC these days? My buddy and I still running the full synthetic XPS, but after reading about dirty Rave valve and etc, wondering if I should switch oil

S

STEVE TWEET

Jan 20, 2010
ran amsoil interceptor for the first time ever last winter and like not having the smell and smoke. i have always just ran the full synthetic in everything since the e-tec came out. wanted something that smoked less and smelled less. i will be running amsoil again this year.

Premium Features