• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what beacon to buy...beacon vs. abs

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I have used the search feature for this, but can't seem to find the answer.

What makes one beacon better than the next? What brands are people using most? Will a $250 one work just as well as the $500 one? Is my money better well spent on an abs bag than a beacon?

All input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
m

V
Nov 26, 2007
Pilot Butte, SK
Both,(Beacon and abs) I understand sometimes it is hard financially especially when you have more than one person to outfit. But what price do you put on your life ?:beer;

sled.man

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2007
lynnwood washington
training/ awareness

You did not say where you are riding, or the type of riding that you doo. I agree that both are good to have. Shovels and probes are just as important. I have personally lost two riding buddies due to lack of shovels by the rescuers in separate incidents. They both had beacons, but that alone will not save you. I was not at either incident.

As important as having the equipment, is knowing how to use it. PRACTICE/PRACTICE/PRACTICE USING IT.........

More important than anything is getting the avy forecasts and using them. Take some avy classes so that you understand the dangers. Most avalanches happen during considerable, high or extreme warnings. Avoiding avalanche areas is smarter than going into a trouble zone with all the equipment. 40% of those killed in avalanches are killed by the force of the tumbling snow or the debri in the avalanche path. The other 60% have to rely on the training of their riding partners. The deeper the burial, the less chance for survival.

Please be careful

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
I have used the search feature for this, but can't seem to find the answer.

What makes one beacon better than the next? What brands are people using most? Will a $250 one work just as well as the $500 one? Is my money better well spent on an abs bag than a beacon?

All input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
m

most in our area use DTS Tracker,,any of the newer digitals are very good

B
Dec 31, 2007
I am amazed at some of the post on this site when it comes to the lack of Avy gear, and awareness. Good on anyone that even looks in this section for making an effort.

Anyway, the tracker is really user friendly and reliable (midrange for price.) but as above most new digitals are pretty good. Beacon Probe, and Shovel are a must have for Mountain riders. ABS pack is an exellent addition to you gear as well.

In my group we all have at least the basic gear, and won't go riding with somene that doesnt. That said I have two full kits so if so if someone wants come out its not a problem.

Training, and practice are also key!!

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
A beacon is a must, and I think that a digital beacon is a must. The Pieps DSP, Mammut Pulse, and BCA Tracker are all great beacons with each having it's own +'s.
The ABS is also a great addition. I ride with both, I have ridden without my ABS pack, but I won't ride without my beacon.

Tracker = Easy to use, most popular beacon out there.
Pieps DSP = Three antennae, further range than the tracker, easier for multiple burials.
Mammut Pulse = Analog & Digital, great range, easy for multiple burials, & it has a motion detector that transmits to other pulse beacons.

PM me with any questions.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
A beacon, shovel, and probe is what you NEED first. A good avy class is right up there at the top of the list too. Practice with that beacon, and be proficient with it's use.

ABS is nice, but yes, they are spendy. I don't have one, and won't until the price comes down more. I do take the time to do lots of beacon practice, including multiple burials....plus I go to avy courses (every year, and more than one). I also have quite a lot books on avy's. When I'm out riding, I do take the time to study the snow. I suppose you could call me a snow geek. :eek:

As for beacons....it's just the features that vary the pricing. Probably the cheapest (pure analog), is going to be the hardest to learn (needs more practice). Still a good beacon, IF you're willing to put the time into it.

I have 3 beacons....Ortovox F1 (pure analog), Tracker, and Mammut Pulse. I just got the Pulse this year, and I like it the best. I'm completely impressed with this thing!!

Whatever beacon you get, as has been said....practice with it, and become familiar and comfortable with it. :)

Sandy

Premium Features