• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Machine shop may have found the belt problems

B
Nov 25, 2012
Personally I think everyone that is having belt problems should be calling brp customer care line and emailing them as well as talking to their dealers. Some dealers are just going to regurgitate what doo is telling them that there is no problems. I don't disagree that there are plenty of people not having belt issues but there is also plenty that are.

The other funny thing that got me thinking was about the new fan blades on the back of the 18 pdrice. Is this way for skidoo to change the part number and somewhat cop to a heat issues all the while totally changing it to fix the wobble issue without telling people. Coincidence maybe but starting to feel shady as heck in my book.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
DOO will never admit there is a problem , what company ever has? They deny and quietly try to fix it in following years. Heres a few examples... 08 xp blowing belts like crazy... 12 cats doing the same thing. Did they admit anything , nope. But now cats have team clutches and not those cheap junk ones the used to. Doos didnt have any room in the m mount to adjust the alignment , now they do.
A local dealer handed out belts like crazy in 08 to try to help his customers. When he asked for warranty payment on 9000 dollars in belts doo stiffed him.
Same old boring story , i thought this doo would be the first new model year sled that would be safe to buy as it was supposed to be 4 years in testing. Now im not convinced the 18 will be any good.

Last edited:
N
Oct 25, 2009
Now back to original O P

One vid on faceyspace shows .025" of runout on the stationary sheave while on the crank. The dial indicator is at like a 45 degree angle to the sheave so I'm sure if it was square to the sheave it would probably be even worse.

Someone should take an indicator to a dealer and check some new sleds on the lot. That could help show weather it's piss poor quality control or if they're warping from heat/usage.
Use your own eyes as a dial indicator, 0.24 in timeline on this vid, enough said.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucuZnPpugQA

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Makes me curious. We all know Pdrive is a new clutch. TRA had numerous years of development. I would be curious to see if the TRA had a little more mass and acted as a larger heat sink. Who knows - maybe the design was a little thin compared to what is required to disperse heat and prevent warping. I wouldn't be surprised if those fins not only cool the inner sheave on the 18 but reinforce it as well. My guess is these clutches are leaving the factory well within spec but are warping after use. First year teething problems on a new design.

Unknown if true but last I heard TEAM was building BRP clutch parts based off of BRP designs. That was a few years back. I remember older TRA castings were built in France and moved to TEAM for the 07 MY.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Makes me curious. We all know Pdrive is a new clutch. TRA had numerous years of development. I would be curious to see if the TRA had a little more mass and acted as a larger heat sink. Who knows - maybe the design was a little thin compared to what is required to disperse heat and prevent warping. I wouldn't be surprised if those fins not only cool the inner sheave on the 18 but reinforce it as well. My guess is these clutches are leaving the factory well within spec but are warping after use. First year teething problems on a new design.

Unknown if true but last I heard TEAM was building BRP clutch parts based off of BRP designs. That was a few years back. I remember older TRA castings were built in France and moved to TEAM for the 07 MY.

I'm thinking the same, but until a few p-drives on a showroom floor checkout as straight I'm not going to assume anything. On Facebook there were guys claiming all sleds are like this, so I grabbed my dial indicator and checked my 13' etec800 and buddy's 16' Cat800. Both were at 0.005" right near the edge of the fixed sheave, measured pretty square to the sheave face. Neither sled eats belts. The etec has well over 4k miles, Cat has about 1600.

My 2013 TRA7 has USA, Canadian and French castings in it.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Not sure you got the right video posted.

He did. Right at 0.24minutes there is a shot of an 850 idling, you can see the movable sheave turning true and the fixed wobbling around. It's really brief but pretty telling. I wonder how many miles are on that sled?

Anyone know their dealer well enough to bring a dial indicator to the showroom floor and measure 850 clutches until your blue in the face? Lol

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Be patient and lets see what Ski-Doo comes back with in the next couple weeks...
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Meanwhile, Skidoo advises everyone to buy three more belts at a bargain price of $175.00 ea.
Thanks again,
BRP

lol

Last edited:
P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Be patient and lets see what Ski-Doo comes back with in the next couple weeks...
[/SIZE]

Meanwhile, Skidoo advises everyone to buy three more belts at a bargain price of $175.00.
Thanks again,
BRP

lol[/QUOTE]

Lol, so true. while being patient for doo, why not keep running the sled extra hard while its out of balance and throw a rod out the bottom end in the meantime? then drop it off for a fresh motor :)

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
sweep it under the rug?

Weird how most everyone can see there's a problem, but let's not make any waves about it because the almighty Doo elite engineering team will be the ones to confirm the issues, they be smarter than all of us. Those issues you all are having are just in your head, until Doo says there's an issue there is no issue. Weird, I tell ya. :face-icon-small-hap

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Weird how most everyone can see there's a problem, but let's not make any waves about it because the almighty Doo elite engineering team will be the ones to confirm the issues, they be smarter than all of us. Those issues you all are having are just in your head, until Doo says there's an issue there is no issue. Weird, I tell ya. :face-icon-small-hap

so true. something tells me the "p drive" clutch that their marketing team over hyped was engineered to look great on paper but in reality the design just does not work, and appears to be a big step backwards from previous designs. hope they figure this crap out im considering a 2018.

N
Oct 25, 2009
so true. something tells me the "p drive" clutch that their marketing team over hyped was engineered to look great on paper but in reality the design just does not work, and appears to be a big step backwards from previous designs. hope they figure this crap out im considering a 2018.

I think the p drive itself in whole is a great design except for the fixed sheave which it seems has problems and they are fixing with their new design with the cooling (Support!!!) fins they are installing on the 18's but that being said doo should step up and give us 17 owners that sheave as well for anyone with a 850. Does not take a rocket scientist to see the wobble on the sheave from the old design and by looking at the photos of the new finned one it seems far superior.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Don't see this p drive very promising, last ride out on 850s we went from clicker three to clicker one, trying to drop rpm and it stayed locked on rpm, plus we find rpm to be not as stable on a climb jumping 200 rpm all the time.. Tra does not do that

I think the p drive itself in whole is a great design except for the fixed sheave which it seems has problems and they are fixing with their new design with the cooling (Support!!!) fins they are installing on the 18's but that being said doo should step up and give us 17 owners that sheave as well for anyone with a 850. Does not take a rocket scientist to see the wobble on the sheave from the old design and by looking at the photos of the new finned one it seems far superior.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Don't see this p drive very promising, last ride out on 850s we went from clicker three to clicker one, trying to drop rpm and it stayed locked on rpm, plus we find rpm to be not as stable on a climb jumping 200 rpm all the time.. Tra does not do that

The tra was notorious for this exact problem.
The secondary isn't helping the situation either.

B
Feb 28, 2017
Meanwhile, Skidoo advises everyone to buy three more belts at a bargain price of $175.00.
Thanks again,
BRP

lol

Lol, so true. while being patient for doo, why not keep running the sled extra hard while its out of balance and throw a rod out the bottom end in the meantime? then drop it off for a FEW MONTHS!!! :)[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for you

Uh, because doo doesn't stock fresh motors!!!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
If you have an 850 and are having issues but haven't emailed and called brp yet why are you making a big deal of it? If you say it's a problem and then only come here and bitch about it but don't take the 5-10 minutes to contact skidoo you are basically admitting to skidoo there's no problem. I'm sure they read the forums and fb but they aren't keeping a record of how many fb posts are talking about crappy clutches or broken bulkheads. Blow their damn phones and email up. That's the only way we are going to get them to admit anything.

N
Oct 25, 2009
If you have an 850 and are having issues but haven't emailed and called brp yet why are you making a big deal of it? If you say it's a problem and then only come here and bitch about it but don't take the 5-10 minutes to contact skidoo you are basically admitting to skidoo there's no problem. I'm sure they read the forums and fb but they aren't keeping a record of how many fb posts are talking about crappy clutches or broken bulkheads. Blow their damn phones and email up. That's the only way we are going to get them to admit anything.

Some of us have contacted brp after getting blown off by the dealers, I know I have a while back and a file has been started by brp based on my serial # which my dealer did not do.
I personally know of 3 others with 850's having a belt issue that have contacted their dealer with no resolution but when asked if they contacted brp they said no , just at dealer level.
So If I personally know of 3, how many are there out there that are the same, that are sitting on their thumbs complaining to their riding buddies or dealers but Not brp.
Told them they need to contact brp.
Although nothing has not been done yet on my sled(hoping) at least there is a record of complaint to fall back on if further issues arise besides the belt.
I do not know why they are reluctant to contact brp, maybe a stigma that if they complain they will be blacklisted or something, which is crazy!!! That's why we pay the big bucks and what warranty is for.
I strongly encourage anyone with belt issues to contact brp and get a case file started period!!!!

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I hope everyone figures out their clutching problems if they exist. I hope Ski-doo takes care of you.

If you don't have any problems and even if you do have problems I'm sure you know by now that these sleds are flat out insane for a stock sled. The sooner Ski-doo tidies up whatever problems exists the better for us. But it is weird I thought ZRP had the belt problems and over-revving fixed?? Now there is crooked fixed sheaves? Man nobody is making much sense. People are coming up with all kinds of things I am not sure what to believe so yes, until Doo says what is wrong, might it be just a couple bad cases? Who Knows. It'll be great if in 2018 these "issues" are resolved because I know I'm not missing out on this beast of a sled as i ordered one too.

Also, not sure what people don't understand about the clickers not affecting top engine RPM. P-drive not being promising??? Hahahahaha this clutch is the future of snowmobiling unless someone comes up with some other ideas. The adjustability is like no other clutch. A big step backwards hahahahahaha get a grip.

Last edited:
Premium Features