• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo 850 belt issues - alignment out of spec

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Wish I could of checked my alignment specs before my motor got pulled. I'm at 10 belts all out of pocket. Tried to get my dealer to check alignment early on and they said they didn't have the new alignment bar yet and that it didn't matter because nothing is adjustable. This is a great post everyone with belt issues should carefully check their sled against the specs and if it's truly out BRP needs to do something other than make more $ of us by selling more belts. I got so paranoid I started carrying 6 belts for an epic deep day ...

Wow... for someone like you to be having these probs is insane. This new doo was poised to be the ultimate and its fallen on its face. I was thinking about a new sled , i was tired of cats lame attempts lately but these doos failures are making the new cat pretty interesting.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Wow... for someone like you to be having these probs is insane. This new doo was poised to be the ultimate and its fallen on its face. I was thinking about a new sled , i was tired of cats lame attempts lately but these doos failures are making the new cat pretty interesting.

Falling flat on their face? That is ridiculous. You probably don't ride very much or have very little skill. I'm willing to bet both. The 850 sleds are in a league of their own. To even compare a stock Axys to a stock 850 is silly. Do the 850 have issues that need to be adress? Sure. Most first year sleds do. I have logged over 1,000 miles on my 850's and have had minor issues. Every belt I have blown has been warratied. The guy up there who hasn't probably drove 6 hours to save $500 on his sled so his local dealer could give 2 rats asses about him chewing through belts and rightfully so. Cats are nonexistent in the area I ride but I challenge any guy in this area that rides an Axys that is stock to try and come hang with me. I don't often see people where I ride but last weekend when I happened to be at AW and there was over a dozen Axys 163 3" who couldn't even come close pulling the hill the hill in 4' of fresh snow as I could in my 154. The only one that came remotely close was a turbo'd Axys. Multiple Polaris owners came over to me to ask what turbo I was running on my 850. The 850 stock is leaps and bounds better than any other stock sled. There is room for improvement but I have no bitches this season. It was hands down my best season I have had and these sleds make me never want to bother with a turbo again. The only people who fell flat on their face is Polaris. Blows my mind they didnt do a thing when it's obvious comparing and 850 to an Axys is like comparing 250 to 450's on dirtbikes.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Falling flat on their face? That is ridiculous. You probably don't ride very much or have very little skill. I'm willing to bet both. The 850 sleds are in a league of their own. To even compare a stock Axys to a stock 850 is silly. Do the 850 have issues that need to be adress? Sure. Most first year sleds do. I have logged over 1,000 miles on my 850's and have had minor issues. Every belt I have blown has been warratied. The guy up there who hasn't probably drove 6 hours to save $500 on his sled so his local dealer could give 2 rats asses about him chewing through belts and rightfully so. Cats are nonexistent in the area I ride but I challenge any guy in this area that rides an Axys that is stock to try and come hang with me. I don't often see people where I ride but last weekend when I happened to be at AW and there was over a dozen Axys 163 3" who couldn't even come close pulling the hill the hill in 4' of fresh snow as I could in my 154. The only one that came remotely close was a turbo'd Axys. Multiple Polaris owners came over to me to ask what turbo I was running on my 850. The 850 stock is leaps and bounds better than any other stock sled. There is room for improvement but I have no bitches this season. It was hands down my best season I have had and these sleds make me never want to bother with a turbo again. The only people who fell flat on their face is Polaris. Blows my mind they didnt do a thing when it's obvious comparing and 850 to an Axys is like comparing 250 to 450's on dirtbikes.

Chadly, that's it. You win! Most modest, humble, and selfless dude I know on this forum!:face-icon-small-win

B
Jul 28, 2011
They didn't have the alignment bar? it's a 4 dollar straight bar from Home Depot. Sounds like your dealer doesn't know what they're doing and just pulling the wool over your eyes!

B
Jul 28, 2011
update. the dealer has since rechecked the alignment and agreed that it is out of spec and sent the report off to BRP. next steps are to bring it in to check motor mounts. I'll keep you guys posted on what the remedy ends up being.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

"Fallen on its face" is quite the exaggeration. For a first year sled it has been awesome.

Has it had some issues? Yes. Is it still awesome and will it get better? Yes.

By all means, try the new Cat. Looks like a great sled. I'm sure it will have absolutely no first year issues....:eyebrows:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY

I've had several axys riders also ask me what turbo I'm running. It's awesome to see the reaction when they hear that a can and clutching is all that's done to it.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
LOL, What a bunch of flag waving Doo-tard crap. Your 850 outperforms an 800 , WOW. Next thing you yellow bumblebee Jammie wearing tards will be trying to tell us is the 800's beat the 700's........ No $hit.
You guys must think you're the only ones who have seen these things work all year, you do know there's others out there right , not all the results are as dramatic as your reports.
Glad yours is working well but pull your head out and look around, and, something we've been seeing lately, Make damn sure your 850 is tuned spot on if you run into one of the new Cat 800's, you'll have your hands full, and it'll make you wonder where your extra 50 cc's went.
The Axys and the new Cat and the G4 are pretty cool sleds, but so far only one saw the need to add the cc's to "maybe probably " stay competitive in the same class.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have a question. I don't have one to check and have not been working on clutches this year, but are the sheaves on the P-drive straight or are they a progressive angle like the TRA was? If someone can lay a straight edge from the center shaft to the outer edge that would be awesome.
This will tell where to go with alignment and if the secondary shaft is actually too long as eluded to earlier in this thread.
If the sheaves are still a progressive angle like the TRA, it will again be absolutely impossible to achieve proper alignment through the full shift ratio as it was with the XP/XM.
On the XP/XM I always aligned to the old '08 spec that put a dog-leg in the belt it idle. With the progressive sheaves this would put the belt in proper (straight) alignment at mid-shift where we spend most of the time on a mountain sled. It then would have a dog-leg going the other direction at full shift. There is no such thing as having proper alignment through the full shift ratio with a TRA7. I just do not know if this is also the case with the P-drive.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I have a question. I don't have one to check and have not been working on clutches this year, but are the sheaves on the P-drive straight or are they a progressive angle like the TRA was? If someone can lay a straight edge from the center shaft to the outer edge that would be awesome.
This will tell where to go with alignment and if the secondary shaft is actually too long as eluded to earlier in this thread.
If the sheaves are still a progressive angle like the TRA, it will again be absolutely impossible to achieve proper alignment through the full shift ratio as it was with the XP/XM.
On the XP/XM I always aligned to the old '08 spec that put a dog-leg in the belt it idle. With the progressive sheaves this would put the belt in proper (straight) alignment at mid-shift where we spend most of the time on a mountain sled. It then would have a dog-leg going the other direction at full shift. There is no such thing as having proper alignment through the full shift ratio with a TRA7. I just do not know if this is also the case with the P-drive.

They are not straight. From inside to outside they "curve" about .08-.10" .

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I've had several axys riders also ask me what turbo I'm running. It's awesome to see the reaction when they hear that a can and clutching is all that's done to it.

I have a stock 08 xp and I got asked if I was running a turbo, or what BB by more than 8 people in 3 days of riding last month....lol

If you are getting 50-200 miles out of a belt and paying for replacements I could not afford to ride it. IMO, that is falling on your face, I don't care how good it is in other areas.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
the 850 in our group has a dogleg just the opposite, the secondary needs to be shimmed out. He was pulling a cord at 100mi. Will the XP shim kits work on the G4?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I have a stock 08 xp and I got asked if I was running a turbo, or what BB by more than 8 people in 3 days of riding last month....lol

If you are getting 50-200 miles out of a belt and paying for replacements I could not afford to ride it. IMO, that is falling on your face, I don't care how good it is in other areas.

Sure you have. Haha

Only 1 blown belt from 4 850's in my group. It was on my sled. I then spent $100 to work the clutching over and have had no problems in the last 500 miles. I sent the belt back to Felkers and come to find out they had a batch of bad belts come through. So I can't say wether it was a bad belt or if the clutching fixed it.

The rest of the 850's have from 500 to 1200 miles. So by your own definition that is not falling on your face especially with how good they are in all the other areas.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
LOL, What a bunch of flag waving Doo-tard crap. Your 850 outperforms an 800 , WOW. Next thing you yellow bumblebee Jammie wearing tards will be trying to tell us is the 800's beat the 700's........ No $hit.
You guys must think you're the only ones who have seen these things work all year, you do know there's others out there right , not all the results are as dramatic as your reports.
Glad yours is working well but pull your head out and look around, and, something we've been seeing lately, Make damn sure your 850 is tuned spot on if you run into one of the new Cat 800's, you'll have your hands full, and it'll make you wonder where your extra 50 cc's went.
The Axys and the new Cat and the G4 are pretty cool sleds, but so far only one saw the need to add the cc's to "maybe probably " stay competitive in the same class.

You do realize you are in the Ski Doo section of this forum? Let me guess you are the guy that goes to the Raiders game wearing his 49ers Jersey talking trash all game then wonders why you get your teeth kicked in :face-icon-small-con If you want to bash us Doo owners I suggest you go do it in the Polaris or Cat section where we really don't give a rat's *** :face-icon-small-hap

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

Lighten up Francis.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Posting

You do realize you are in the Ski Doo section of this forum? Let me guess you are the guy that goes to the Raiders game wearing his 49ers Jersey talking trash all game then wonders why you get your teeth kicked in :face-icon-small-con If you want to bash us Doo owners I suggest you go do it in the Polaris or Cat section where we really don't give a rat's *** :face-icon-small-hap

This is still an open forum that we can post in and learn from right?

Premium Features