• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Officially a Ski-Doo rider now..

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I know it's an apples/oranges comparison, but I couldn't believe the difference going to an XM from an M series cat. No more aches/pains and much better energy levels at the end of the day. I'm sure your boy will feel a heck of a lot better at the end of the day.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Chris-
You are still a youngster at 53 -
You have only had one colonoscopy.. ( or at least better get one) LOL..

I did actually, what you are doing 15 years ago with my 2 boys. (My Oldest- 17 at that time) had/ has a foot issue from birth that now, prevents him from riding any longer at his young age of 32.

I snowchecked the 2002 RMK's 144 to 159's back then got them excited and they picked the color, and did our little mods together- Pipes- can ect ect great bonding time- day's that will last forever in my mind, now that I wrench alone.

One thing I wanted to bring up, I wanted to say in my trip down memory lane is, that all three sled- had crank issues and mag's go on 2 of the 3 sleds

I feel MFG's have narrowed complaints and issue over the years- but buying 1st year production sleds x3, is a move that I know you have thought out- but is one that took a chuck out of my buttocks, and took a lot of snow day's away from us that year.

Just something I wanted to share, you have probably already taken this into consideration-

I applaud what your doing!!- and thanks for taking me down that road of memories.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Snowbike might be the bees knees for him? 200lbs lighter, and not as much rip your arms off with the throttle.

And that may be the final step.
We "borrowed" the Snowest project bike 2 seasons ago and spent the day on it. We had mixed results of him on the bike for a full day.

1920384_10152303286691955_1434328859_n.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I know it's an apples/oranges comparison, but I couldn't believe the difference going to an XM from an M series cat. No more aches/pains and much better energy levels at the end of the day. I'm sure your boy will feel a heck of a lot better at the end of the day.
While I have long been a strong advocate for highly boosted Yamahas and DEEPLY LOVE riding them, I am also the first guy to tell you at the end of a "HARD DAY" of riding I would be UTTERLY TRASHED and PHYSICALLY WASTED. There were many days that just driving home was hard as I was so exhausted from having done battle with the mountain and the sled.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I feel MFG's have narrowed complaints and issue over the years- but buying 1st year production sleds x3, is a move that I know you have thought out- but is one that took a chuck out of my buttocks, and took a lot of snow day's away from us that year.

Just something I wanted to share, you have probably already taken this into consideration-
Agreed.
As a general rule is a real risk.
And I suppose there could be some horrible lurking defect that is going to explode into the forefront in the next 60 days, but my gut tells me its not likely to happen, and so I am pretty confident in rolling the dice this time around.

383-roll-the-dice_800x6002.jpg

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Agreed.
As a general rule is a real risk.
And I suppose there could be some horrible lurking defect that is going to explode into the forefront in the next 60 days, but my gut tells me its not likely to happen, and so I am pretty confident in rolling the dice this time around.

383-roll-the-dice_800x6002.jpg

I've had several "first year" snowmobiles over the years. From 2001 Model year to current, one a year.
The only 2 that I had issues with were the 05 900 RMK( worlds worst vibrating, clutch melting, belt blowing boat anchor), 07 Summit X 800R ( blew the crank out at 50 miles, and blew out the wrist pin bearings at 500ish).

I had first year 700, 800 Rotax , ZX X, Rev, XP, XM, and T3 chassis. Trouble free.

My dad had all of those as well, (except the 900 RMK) of those as well, along with first year 700 RMK, 800 RMK, Edge chassis, RX 1, no issues.

He also blew up his 07 Summit X 800 R.

My point is not all first year stuff is bad.

Last edited:
C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
And that may be the final step.
We "borrowed" the Snowest project bike 2 seasons ago and spent the day on it. We had mixed results of him on the bike for a full day.

1920384_10152303286691955_1434328859_n.jpg

Cool! Did he like the bike?

Some things the sleds are easier, and some not. But other than trail riding and high marking, the bikes weight usually is a win.

Worst thing I've done on a bike, is getting off it to pee in waist deep snow on flat ground. Was all I could do to get back on the thing.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Cool! Did he like the bike?

Some things the sleds are easier, and some not. But other than trail riding and high marking, the bikes weight usually is a win.

Worst thing I've done on a bike, is getting off it to pee in waist deep snow on flat ground. Was all I could do to get back on the thing.

The bikes can absolutely go MORE places than the sleds can, but I am not sure its a WIN for his back condition.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
The bikes can absolutely go MORE places than the sleds can, but I am not sure its a WIN for his back condition.

Me either, I was thinking about stuff like getting unstuck, wrecks, etc. As long as it's on a hill, I think the bike's easier to get going again. Flat, the sled probably wins, or when the sled can be barrel rolled.

Anyways, sorry for the sidetrack from 3 awesome sleds. Don't let the kids ride in front of you with the Doo XPS oil in there, it no smell so good!

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
NOT YET!
But it's COMING just as soon as we get some real snow here in South Eastern Idaho!
I'm still waiting on Snow AND my Black 165 X here in Colorado, but I still have my 16 163 T-3 for a wife/back up sled (hope I won't need it as a back up) I didn't get to ride a demo 17 but I hear they are a big step up from my 16 which was an Awsome sled. I can't wait to ride it. :whoo:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I think you are going to be happy with the Ski Doo. Add some boost and you should be back to full happiness.

Premium Features