• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit gen4 narrow tube boards?

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
For the first year ever I actually prefer the stock running boards to the aftermarket options. If I break them I will be singing a different song...

Have you had any time to hang off/move around on the X model boards?

If yes, disregard this post

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
For the first year ever I actually prefer the stock running boards to the aftermarket options. If I break them I will be singing a different song...

I have.
They are only 1/2" narrower each side than the xm.
Bm fab should come up with a great upgrade.

nilsmountain

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2008
Lemmenjoki,Finland

No I haven't on X but I have on SP. Actually I had seat time on 165 SP couple of hours at closed ski slope,few weeks ago. Boards are as wide on both models. Also, I had some seat time on axys too,same day,same place.I found out that gen4 boards should be similar width than axys. about 1,75" narrower each side. Otherwise I liked Gen4 better than Axys... brobably because I am summit rider( since first 800 X Highmark landed on the skandinavian market at 2001)and it takes time to get used to vertical steering. 850 also had some more power than axys. Basically they are both as good sleds, New Summit and Axys, I just like Doo better. Just my opinion . . :face-icon-small-hap :juggle:

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I have ridden the X model 850. IMO you do not need to replace the X boards with aftermarket. The billet (yes billet) boards on the X package are super rigid work perfectly for snow release. I personally would not want them any narrower than what they are from the factory.

I cannot comment on the SP boards.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
We would prefer to get a SP in the shop to make boards for since they are modeled after the XM boards. I have the feeling that most of the guys that purchased the X model are going to have a similar thought as above.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
New boards, whether x or sp, are still way too wide. Every time your boards drag, it slows you down or your track digs in and falls downhill. Wide boards are for racers. Karl Custer saying saying they cut through the snow and help hold you on a sidehill is bs. There is no point in replacing the boards unless they are narrower and shorter. Stock boards look to clear snow fine. That is why the axys is the most precise sled on the mountain.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
New boards, whether x or sp, are still way too wide. Every time your boards drag, it slows you down or your track digs in and falls downhill. Wide boards are for racers. Karl Custer saying saying they cut through the snow and help hold you on a sidehill is bs. There is no point in replacing the boards unless they are narrower and shorter. Stock boards look to clear snow fine. That is why the axys is the most precise sled on the mountain.

Totally agree. Honestly torn on even doing a stock replacement board for this sled. If it goes anything like the cat skinny boards, the wide ones hardly sell anymore due to people realizing exactly your point. Skinnys will be first that's for sure.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Totally agree. Honestly torn on even doing a stock replacement board for this sled. If it goes anything like the cat skinny boards, the wide ones hardly sell anymore due to people realizing exactly your point. Skinnys will be first that's for sure.

Love my skinny Rasmussen boards on my XM, except for that step over bar! Skinny with extra traction yes please, step over bar no.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Since I raised and narrowed the boards on my 15 XM it whiped a t3 even with 2.5 track on the steep technical riding.

It is 29" wide total at the front, they are pro boards so they are same length, maybe slightly shorter but a little wider at the very back, doesn't matter when they are in the right place, in Highgrove and usable, in fact it's way better for me being a tall guy.

For technical riding if you think the stick boards are fine, your an idiot! F doo and cat for not realizing these are Mountain sleds and getting there azz whipped by poo. I'm sure one of those idiots will make some claim they best an axys so let me put it this way. Not if your riding against sometime willing to push it's limits.

Narrowing my XM didn't just make it better it turned it into an animal, even the guys that rode it could not make sense of the fact that one change like the boards could do that much to a sled!

I hated it before and was ready to launch it off a cliff, now I love the sled. The added height of the boards and flexibility put it to the top of list for fun factor, just needs a 3"pc track, and more pressure on the rear skid. It's like going from a 01 summit to a XM.

But if you don't ride technical terrain, it doesn't apply, so if your thinking they work great it just means you really have no freaking clue of the level of riding some of us go to.

(That should be good for some entertainment, lol)

Last edited:

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
How narrow boards are you going to make? And will they be shorter to?
6" width and 3-5" inch shorter should be perfect for the new gen4.
Not planning anything until someone brings me one. They will only get shortened as much as the rear suspension hanger will allow. Not building a board that doesn't support the most vulnerable part of a mountain sled next to the a arms.

Bryan

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Not planning anything until someone brings me one. They will only get shortened as much as the rear suspension hanger will allow. Not building a board that doesn't support the most vulnerable part of a mountain sled next to the a arms.

Bryan

Too bad your not closer to salt lake city

D
Sep 10, 2014
In this picture its easy to see how narrow the new chassis is at the belly pan, but the running boards are probably making it a total 4" wider.

2"+ narrower each side should really make the new chassis shine in the technical stuff.

image.jpg

Premium Features